FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623785 times)

big_guy_13021

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3630 on: May 16, 2018, 12:06 PM »
Great idea rg..I never thought of that one..nice flies..the rate it's going around my area there won't be any water to fish in if the keep draining the lake and river ..river is about 4 foot low now...Seneca river

bigal409

« Reply #3631 on: May 16, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Great idea rg..I never thought of that one..nice flies..the rate it's going around my area there won't be any water to fish in if the keep draining the lake and river ..river is about 4 foot low now...Seneca river
if there's no fishing in your area then you won't have to make any more flies. :rotflol: :rotflol:

lowaccord66

« Reply #3632 on: May 16, 2018, 02:42 PM »
Nice ones Pat.  I didn't miss the hail. 

Rg that spin mop looks like a crappie killer.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3633 on: May 16, 2018, 03:03 PM »
The Canal is about a foot low here too. We need some rains.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3634 on: May 17, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Like the spin fly!  Another idea and more materials to find...........
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3635 on: May 18, 2018, 02:08 AM »
Got woke up by the security lights on the garage. Nothing out there. Must have been a critter. Anyway, now I'm awake :-\

Tied up a few more Spin Mops yesterday and a couple Mop Flies to play with.

Not pretty, but the spinners spin really well so they're ok. Didn't want to add any collar that might interfere with the spinner.

Added some Sili Legs to a fly just for fun.

Think I'll keep playing with that one.

Good news is, the Canal is full up now. Put new propeller seals in the outboard yesterday afternoon and I'll be filling up the boat today to be out there early tomorrow morning. I'll have to take the 6 wt in the back yard today to shake some rust off I guess. Might even splash the boat this afternoon for a maiden voyage.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3636 on: May 18, 2018, 02:14 AM »
By the way....the spinners come from Barlow's Tackle. Straight eye streamer or N-Curve hooks (I really like N-Curve hooks) , 2x or 4x long and brass beads ( the smallest you can squeeze onto the hook) seem to work the best. I usually tie them in #8 and #10. The spinners are a size #0 dumbbell. I've not tied larger, but I could see some really big flies for pike and bass, with larger blades, being just plain deadly. They're slow and flashy in the water.

Rg

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3637 on: May 18, 2018, 06:37 AM »
Got woke up by the security lights on the garage. Nothing out there. Must have been a critter. Anyway, now I'm awake :-\

Tied up a few more Spin Mops yesterday and a couple Mop Flies to play with.

Not pretty, but the spinners spin really well so they're ok. Didn't want to add any collar that might interfere with the spinner.

Added some Sili Legs to a fly just for fun.

Think I'll keep playing with that one.

Good news is, the Canal is full up now. Put new propeller seals in the outboard yesterday afternoon and I'll be filling up the boat today to be out there early tomorrow morning. I'll have to take the 6 wt in the back yard today to shake some rust off I guess. Might even splash the boat this afternoon for a maiden voyage.

Rg
I would be intrested in how they run. Geo.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3638 on: May 18, 2018, 05:13 PM »
In my experience, they work very well with a very slow presentation. Mine don't twist the leader as I use my furled leaders and a short tippet. I'm hoping to test fly a few tomorrow. But heavy rain looks definite.

Rg

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3639 on: May 18, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Last week my Amish neighbor gave me a turkey tail.  Today his Dad shot one and knowing I what I wanted it for, skinned the whole bird including the tail, and sent it to me.  I've got it cleaned and salted down.  Would borax be better or is salt ok to preserve it? 

seamonkey84

« Reply #3640 on: May 18, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Last week my Amish neighbor gave me a turkey tail.  Today his Dad shot one and knowing I what I wanted it for, skinned the whole bird including the tail, and sent it to me.  I've got it cleaned and salted down.  Would borax be better or is salt ok to preserve it?
Borax, as it also kills the bugs.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #3641 on: May 19, 2018, 06:18 AM »

I did my wife's Turkey Tail with borax, after 28 years it still looks great.
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3642 on: May 19, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Thanks!  Looks like a lifetime supply of turkey feathers at the moment. :rotflol:

boondox

« Reply #3643 on: May 19, 2018, 04:58 PM »

That's why it's good not to bring in house till mid winter cause bugs will for sure be dead then.. I did not know borax killed bugs I know there's a crystal type thing they sell for ants and other stuff that you mix with sugar and they digest this mix and die from it it even gets back to the nests and rids of all bugs.. I think it's called diatomaceous earth?? Mostly ants it is used for..

seamonkey84

« Reply #3644 on: May 19, 2018, 10:14 PM »

That's why it's good not to bring in house till mid winter cause bugs will for sure be dead then.. I did not know borax killed bugs I know there's a crystal type thing they sell for ants and other stuff that you mix with sugar and they digest this mix and die from it it even gets back to the nests and rids of all bugs.. I think it's called diatomaceous earth?? Mostly ants it is used for..

Diatomaceous earth does kill bugs as it’s like microscopic pieces of glass to them and it causes them to “bleed out” or get dehydrated with all the little cuts. Boric acid in borax is the stuff you mix with sugar water to kill ants, it also desiccates/dehydrates bugs that are covered in it.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.