FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628834 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1650 on: Feb 14, 2014, 02:18 AM »
Nice! What kind of colored wire are you using? I've tried some craft wire but it's too stiff.

6 of each...I like that ;D

I'm still playing around with a hellgramite  pattern. Need some longer hooks. More stuff....more stuff ;)

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishgalore

« Reply #1651 on: Feb 14, 2014, 03:06 AM »
Ultra wire in size BR(assie). I get it at a local fly shop. I'm not as creative or frugal yet as you experienced tiers.........I'm still learning basic skills but I do experiment.

You can scroll down this page as the wire comes in many colors. They are closer to the bottom of the page. http://www.tightlinesflyfishing.com/shop_online/fly_tying/spooled_materials.htm

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1652 on: Feb 14, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Ok, I've got some ultra wire around. I'll look on Ebay. I need some long hooks for this Hellgramite pattern I'm working on. I'm gonna tie up some monsters.

Here's a few attempts;

I'll be playing around with this one for a while :-\

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1653 on: Feb 14, 2014, 04:55 PM »
The first two look good RG...
Theres a couple of videos on YouTube on how to tie them...

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishgalore

« Reply #1654 on: Feb 15, 2014, 05:31 AM »
The first two look good RG...
Theres a couple of videos on YouTube on how to tie them...

I watched the top vid and although he can tie them he talked with someone else the whole time without a description of the materials he was using. Now maybe RG can tell what they are but I sure as hell can't.

However, it looks like the 2nd one gives more detail but some of the materials may be homemade? What is Maribou Chenille? I did a search and can't find a thing on it. I can find both individually but not Bill's "Maribou Chenille". The other problem in the 2nd video is that I had no volume so I can't hear a thing on how or what he is doing or using. Found another site with the same video..........no volume. What a racket!
http://blip.tv/fly-and-fin/bill-skilton-ties-bill-s-hellgrammite-5501564 This site gives Bill's internet address to buy his materials. Have fun with that too! 
The good thing is you can probably find something that will improvise and you can make it work.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1655 on: Feb 15, 2014, 10:59 AM »
All I can say is around here they don't grow to 5" long. Typically what I see in the streams are 2 - 3" long. The thing is, those big, bulky flies just don't enthuse me. They take a ton of weight to get down in any kind of current. I fish a lot of current. Especially with this type of critter fly. I like a more solid design.

As far as Marabou Chenille goes, I'd think a leech yarn would work.

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1656 on: Feb 15, 2014, 11:02 AM »
By the way, of the group above, the third one is my personal favorite. It looks to me to be a good searching pattern with similarities to several aquatic insects. I think the second one will probably work too. Both are a PITA to tie :-\

May be why old Bill ties the one he's doing in the video.

RG

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1657 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:21 AM »
My experience when fishing for gills with a bobber/jig is that they really like the orange color.  So, I am going to try this rather simple tie with the flyrod:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1658 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Nice! That's gonna work. I can see many combinations there. It'll ride up side down from your pic but that's good. Hook up...less snags.

Mind if I steal that one?

RG

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1659 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:17 PM »
RG...seeing how I've stolen about everything you've put on here I think we're even.  I didn't have all necessary items for your Gill Killer so I made a knock off with turkey biot tail:

fishgalore

« Reply #1660 on: Feb 18, 2014, 05:59 PM »
RG...seeing how I've stolen about everything you've put on here I think we're even.  I didn't have all necessary items for your Gill Killer so I made a knock off with turkey biot tail:

I'll betcha that'll catch just about anything. Nice tie.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1661 on: Feb 19, 2014, 03:15 AM »
I really like that. Is the collar marabou or soft hackle? I'd probably use red in the tail on some. Or red thread or dubbing behind the bead. Gills love some red.
What's better than sitting at the bench in this crappy sub zero weather and free styling some bluegill flies ;D 

I've got some 4x long hooks coming for the Hellgramites  and a variety of dumbbell eyes for some bluegill flies. More stuff! :w00t:

RG

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1662 on: Feb 19, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Good point about a red head or collar.  I'm going to try that.  It's just soft hackle.  I've been reading alot lately about bluegill & crappie flies.  Many say these are 2 of the best - The Improved Black Knat & The Improved McGinty.
Here's the McGinty (photo off the internet):

kc

« Reply #1663 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:35 PM »
I used to do well with the McGinty on steelhead.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1664 on: Feb 19, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Steelhead will hit anything that pisses them off ;D They're territorial buggers. I always favored egg sucking leeches for steelies. I did a lot of that fishing. Drift a hunk of sock on a hook through their hole and they'll attack it.

Mcginty's are good for sure. Don't forget to go really tiny too. A mosquito pattern in #18 will make them crazy when you see them up towards the surface. I had some serious fun with the 2wt last year tossing teeny tiny stuff to the gills. Man that's fun.

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.