FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Huge Kenai Bow  (Read 15755 times)

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
Re: Huge Kenai Bow
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2005, 02:51 PM »
I assume you mean artic grayling. If you are going to spend the money to come up here i would recommend somewhere else besides the kenai for anything but bows and kings. The kenai no doubt has the biggest kings in the world but it is so crowded for them it seems like you are fishing in new york not alaska i would rather fish for them on some of the bristol bay rivers. As for rainbows the kenai is great but the naknek and kvichiak are better because they are less fished. For everything else like halibut, grayling and the other 4 salmon i would go somewhere else. I used to live in the lower 48 and know if you want the full alaska experience the kenai is not the best place simply because of the shoulder to shoulder and boat to boat combat fishing.
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

reubenpa

« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2005, 07:05 PM »
ah I get your drift. Well it will be at least 10 years before that trip happens so I will have plenty of time to plan the trip.  Yea I do mean grayling. I remembered about a half hour after posting. I have no idea why the name left me but it did.  Doy ou guys ever catch grayling through the ice?
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2005, 07:34 PM »
Yes we do especially in the anchorage and matsu area where there are populations of many different fish including grayling, dolly's, char, lake trout, rainbows, pike, burbot, kokanee, landlocked silvers and lanlocked kings.

reubenpa

« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2005, 07:52 PM »
whats a char look like does it look like a laker?  Whiskeys fish looks like a laker to me and I thought char looked more like a salmon..... ??? ???

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2005, 08:36 PM »
I think whiskey is either mistaken or that is some char i have never heard of, an artic char look much more like brook trout here is an artic char in spawning colors

reubenpa

« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2005, 09:29 PM »
thats what I thought  man what a HOG awesome looking fish I want one of those on my wall!!! :o :o :o :o

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2005, 09:57 PM »
reuben, we can get grayling here in CO too. Through the ice even. People go to john martin and get hundreds of them. Of course john martin is 500 miles away from me. We have a couple lakes with artic grayling on the mesa as well and that's where I've caught a couple open water. You can't icefish any of these lakes though :'(

reubenpa

« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2005, 10:21 PM »
If was going to ravel that far I would go to alaska!!!!!  lol   I can go to Ontario to get the grayling...

That is interesting though I am glad that you mentoined that cause I would never have guessed that tehy would be in Co

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2005, 10:27 PM »
Alaska would always be a good place for people who can't experience river trout, at least like alaska has.
BTW: we also have arctic char in dillion reservoir

reubenpa

« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2005, 11:19 PM »
but no king salmon :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2005, 05:32 AM »
Alaska would always be a good place for people who can't experience river trout, at least like alaska has.
BTW: we also have arctic char in dillion reservoir

I agree.  There are places on the Kenai Peninsula where you can catch a fish on 8 out of 10 casts, have one on and lose it on the ninth and get a hit without a hookup on the tenth! ;D

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2005, 10:52 AM »
Especially those unfished places. Alaska has a wealth of land and not many people fishing it. I'm sure there is some absolutely insane fishing there.

stuccoman01

« Reply #27 on: Mar 16, 2005, 08:39 PM »
 hey Kodaik commando,
I have to agree with you on the kenai i have coming up there for several years , i went there once anf that was enough. I always go north now fly in to lakecreek for a couple of days then rent a car and hit the parks highway petersville area.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #28 on: Mar 16, 2005, 08:44 PM »
The kenai is very crowded for sure but i still go up there for big bows and big kings once in awhile. The bow fishing is still world class but the crowds do get annoying. As i said before if you plan on coming to alaska in the future save up as much money as possible for more remote fishing adventures. Plain and simple the fishing is better usually, the people fewer and the scenery is awesome. It's a fuller alaskan experience. That said if you are on a budget there is great fishing on the road system all over the state, so don't be discouraged if you can't afford a remote trip.

stuccoman01

« Reply #29 on: Mar 16, 2005, 09:03 PM »
Kodiak,
I will be there end of june with the boys for 8 days 1 day pike at Alexander lake 3 days lakecreek kings and one day out of whittier never fished there before. anysuggestion for the other 3 days road  accessable?

then going back in aug with my boys 4 days for silvers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.