FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560095 times)

lowaccord66

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3930 on: Mar 27, 2024, 06:39 PM »
I like being in contact with the flies (I normally fish 2) at all times.  My indiactor is bi-colored leader material.  I keep an eye on that during the drift.  Helps determine if the flies are getting down too.  If its moving as fast as the surface current I know my flies arent penetrating.  If its moving slower than the surface current I know Im in the zone. 

I do use indicators occasionally, when its windy or if I am fishing at a distance.  Ive played with the yarn indicators, those were fun.  What I got addicted to is fishing dry dropper.  Epecially around August/September.

Bartman44

« Reply #3931 on: Mar 28, 2024, 09:11 AM »
As others have stated, indicators are situational. If I'm fishing flat runs in less than knee deep water, not needed most of the time, I like a short line.  If fishing in variable currents or deeper, I'll use them. I've tried the OROS indicators (small and extra small) and I like them alot because they are so easy to adjust up and down and even better, they are very easy to add/remove as I jump from spot to spot.

As Jon said, I use dry droppers quite a bit. Hang a nymph just behind your dry fly during a hatch and you can score on the nymph as well as the dry. You can also fish very shallow riffles with a dry dropper as the dry is less likely to spook a shallow fish.

oatkasut

« Reply #3932 on: Mar 28, 2024, 09:47 AM »
All true Bart!
I took my brothers advise and tried the dry dropper using his tie a dry Mr. Rapidan size 14, a great indicator fly to which I suspended a pheasant tail nymph size 16 using about 12- 18 inches of 6X tippet. Attached to the dry on the hook bend   with a clinch knot. I found that the nymph out caught the dry  in a ratio of 4:1. It's always exciting when your indicator catches fish! I  don't use this rig much because I don't like to spend the time to rig up or casting it, , but it sure can help to catch more fish.

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #3933 on: Mar 28, 2024, 10:44 AM »
The dropper will always catch more. Unless it truly a fly bonanza.

Try some small poppers on a 6wt or lighter. for bass. FUN  Still some time for that to develop.
Internet heros give it a rest!

lowaccord66

« Reply #3934 on: Mar 29, 2024, 06:33 AM »
Big stimulator guy here!  Bart word on the street is Airlock just made a similar style.  Havent tried them yet.

62 & Done

« Reply #3935 on: Mar 29, 2024, 09:53 AM »
Going to try the dry dropper this year. Thought about it before but I'm prone to tangles so just shied away from it.
    Took a trip to the Fly Shack yesterday to add a few things to my arsenal. I decided to try just one of those Czeck indicators in Flo Green. Hopefully It won't become a bird's nest.  I added a few baby trout flies to the box to try for crappie. They do look like the real thing. Hope the fish think likewise.
   Lastly, I decided on a Lamson liquid reel in smoke color to replace the piece of crap that I put on my new 9 ftr last season. They had a big run on those reels as I bought the very last one in a 5 wt.  ( they have a great deal on a 3 wt / 2 spare spools and carry bag)

I'm trying to locate some water where I can fish on foot for a while as everything local is buttoned up so tight that it requires launching a boat. Sometimes I'd just like to sneak out for a couple hrs and fishing on shore would be so much simpler.
               Now we just need some nice weather without all this wind. Blows here all the time.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3936 on: Mar 29, 2024, 11:23 AM »
Good luck if you get out 62.  I still need to build some leaders for you and mail them out.  They'd be specific to trout and stream/riverfishing.  You'd just attach via nail knot to your main line!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3937 on: Mar 29, 2024, 11:47 AM »
Hey Don, (speaking of leaders) I set up the leader  jig today. Gonna twist some up tomorrow.

Just got an order from Flyshack. Hooks and a Rite Bobbin. The bobbin will take some getting used to. Seems comfortable and good quality. They ship fast and free. Glad they’re not closer to me. It would probably cost me a fortune.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

62 & Done

« Reply #3938 on: Mar 29, 2024, 02:02 PM »
Thanks guys !!    rg a man like yourself should take a day, and go visit the"shack"  I find it intriguing as well as confusing just to browse thru all the supplies. So many different things. so many colors, sizes, styles. All those tools!  You guys must have quite an inventory of materials and things to work with.
      Fasenating.....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3939 on: Mar 29, 2024, 03:37 PM »
Well it’s kind of embarrassing to tell the truth. I have so much stuff for tying flies……..there’s a room in my house dedicated to just that. Still, I find more that I need (want….meed has nothing to do with it. )

It’s a wholesome addiction. At least my Bride doesn’t complain. Like the wood shop, it keeps an old brain working.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3940 on: Mar 30, 2024, 05:47 AM »
RG told you long time ago the addiction is in your blood and it always will be .................62 my best advice to you is  "keep it simple"  the simple plan is always the best plan .....you have to separate fly tying  from fly fishing  .......example give me a pheasant tail nymph  and a adams  dry and i can catch 90 percent of the fish i catch  , and that is the truth  but i tie  every mayfly i can in every size i can i tie caddis foam streamers  the list goes on and on ....truth  fly fishing is one sport or hobby ,fly tying is another .don't become over whelmed  learn and have fun'\. fished c & r yesterday  beaver kill even in the wind i had a ball ;D....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3941 on: Mar 30, 2024, 07:06 AM »
Speaking of fly tying stuff….I’m a big fan of UV resins. Was painting eyes on some thunder creek minnows the other day with regular nail polish then coating them with a dab of clear uv. I thought …why not get some uv nail polish? So I bought a kit on Amazon for $15.

Works great.

62 & Done

« Reply #3942 on: Mar 30, 2024, 09:25 AM »
So how long before you need a bigger room ?    LOL

oatkasut

« Reply #3943 on: Mar 30, 2024, 10:44 AM »
62 &done, take traps advise, a pheasant tail nymph and the Adams is all you need, my favorites as well. BUT I have boxes of flies that I love to look at but seldom use  except the tricos, a mickey finn and a blk. woolly bugger. Plus I decided to just fly fish in retirement and not tie  flies. Winter time , I ice fish!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3944 on: Mar 30, 2024, 11:48 AM »
So how long before you need a bigger room ?    LOL

Not gonna happen. Years ago I approached my Bride about moving our bed to what is my room which is the “spare” bedroom.

Nope!

So I’m restricted to my territory. I’m ok with that. Although, the master bedroom would give me a whole lot more room.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.