FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Harbor Area  (Read 1738 times)

westernmas

New Harbor Area
« on: Aug 28, 2019, 01:05 PM »
I'm heading up to the New Harbor area 9/4-9/8.  From the sounds of it there should be a few stripers still around.  Any suggestions on places to fish from shore?  I'll also have my kayak in the event that I get time to launch the yak I wouldn't mind suggestions on where to launch as well.  If the salt is slow I'll have my fly gear so any trout fishing in the immediate area is an option also.  I've never fished ME so just looking for general areas that I could try.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

gamefisher

Re: New Harbor Area
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2019, 09:02 AM »
I'm heading up to the New Harbor area 9/4-9/8.  From the sounds of it there should be a few stripers still around.  Any suggestions on places to fish from shore?  I'll also have my kayak in the event that I get time to launch the yak I wouldn't mind suggestions on where to launch as well.  If the salt is slow I'll have my fly gear so any trout fishing in the immediate area is an option also.  I've never fished ME so just looking for general areas that I could try.

I cant help you with fishing spots but you must stop into Shaw's Wharf and have a seafood platter and cup of chowder, it's a yearly ritual for my family.  Not a ton of freshwater options in immediate area that I'm aware of either.  Good time of the year to visit.

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2019, 09:40 AM »
I cant help you with fishing spots but you must stop into Shaw's Wharf and have a seafood platter and cup of chowder, it's a yearly ritual for my family.  Not a ton of freshwater options in immediate area that I'm aware of either.  Good time of the year to visit.

Thanks for the information.  I'll be sure to stop at Shaw's Wharf.  Seafood will be a staple of my diet while I'm up there.  If the stripers cooperate hopefully I can provide some fresh fish for the table.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2019, 01:41 PM »
Well thanks to Jim C I was able to catch a schoolie in our trip to new harbor. It’s a beautiful area. We were actually about a mile from Shaw’s wharf as well and brought home lobster and steamers one night.

Although there was tons of bait behind the cottage I wasn’t able to catch live bait and the closest shop was too far away. About an hour before high tide I got a hit using a Mack colored sp minnow. Pulled in a nice little ME schoolie. I wasn’t expecting much so I was more than happy to get the little guy.

Instagram @Patsquatch413

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2019, 06:57 PM »
Nice fish!  Glad it worked out for you.  That piece of shoreline usually works out well 8)

Well thanks to Jim C I was able to catch a schoolie in our trip to new harbor. It’s a beautiful area. We were actually about a mile from Shaw’s wharf as well and brought home lobster and steamers one night.

Although there was tons of bait behind the cottage I wasn’t able to catch live bait and the closest shop was too far away. About an hour before high tide I got a hit using a Mack colored sp minnow. Pulled in a nice little ME schoolie. I wasn’t expecting much so I was more than happy to get the little guy.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2019, 06:43 AM »
Nice job Pat!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2019, 02:05 PM »
Sweet!
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Thanks guys.  It is amazing how different the coast is up there compared to southern new england.  The rocky shoreline makes it virtually impossible to fish at low tide.  At least that was the case at the spots that I tried.  You'd need some serious cleats to get down the rocks and be able to get over the bubble weeds and out to where fish would hang out.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.