FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Solid Salmon Sesh  (Read 3304 times)

AquaAssassin

Re: Solid Salmon Sesh
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2021, 06:21 AM »
Sweet! Thanks! I always loved Wapsi heads, they had sweet Gamy hooks but they are lead. I’ve been using Keitech and pulling the weedguard off with pliers. I did just find another brand on midway I need to look up again to remember the name of.
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

swnoel

« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2021, 06:37 AM »
That’ll do!

did better than us... a jumping salmon resulted in an empty hook! It can only get better from here....

AquaAssassin

« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2021, 06:38 AM »
did better than us... a jumping salmon resulted in an empty hook! It can only get better from here....

Agreed!

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2021, 08:50 AM »

I hope you are right, it was good to finally get out on Saturday but man, painfully slow day. Glad to see it wasn't just me I guess.

swnoel

« Reply #19 on: Apr 13, 2021, 05:57 AM »
I hope you are right, it was good to finally get out on Saturday but man, painfully slow day. Glad to see it wasn't just me I guess.

At least you brought a fish on board... but  it was a great day to get on the water.

zwiggles

« Reply #20 on: Apr 13, 2021, 08:53 AM »
I’m not trying to derail the post/topic, but I have always noticed that trolling is on fire right after ice out. Then for me at least, it can get super slow. Even trolling live smelt can be slow, and any other time of year they are dynamite.

Once the water temp in the lake starts to hit 55 or get close, the trolling usually picks up again. Then the thermocline sets up and fishing keeps getting better. Then fall comes, and those of us who still fish can get into some fatty pre pawn salmon. It should just keep getting better on the lake.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #21 on: Apr 13, 2021, 10:51 AM »
I don’t step foot in a boat until after the first week of May, no need to for me. I can reach anything I want to catch in a cast length.

swnoel

« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2021, 03:54 PM »
I’m not trying to derail the post/topic, but I have always noticed that trolling is on fire right after ice out. Then for me at least, it can get super slow. Even trolling live smelt can be slow, and any other time of year they are dynamite.

Once the water temp in the lake starts to hit 55 or get close, the trolling usually picks up again. Then the thermocline sets up and fishing keeps getting better. Then fall comes, and those of us who still fish can get into some fatty pre pawn salmon. It should just keep getting better on the lake.

This is the first year I've ever fished this early. I usually fish other lakes latter and decided this year I would spend more time on Winni, so what you've said makes more sense why it's slow. I love fishing July - September.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #23 on: Apr 14, 2021, 07:06 AM »
I don’t step foot in a boat until after the first week of May, no need to for me. I can reach anything I want to catch in a cast length.

Smart actually, if you find somewhere isn't producing then you can just either walk or drive to the next spot, whereas us in boats are locked in to our fate. I knew about 20 minutes after we showed up to the lake last Saturday it was pretty much a lost cause. The surface temps in some places were 38f. At one point we both thought we had debris on our lines, it had actually formed these marble sized ice balls on the line. I still don't really understand how that's possible, trolling through the water, but I seent it with my own two eyes :o

AquaAssassin

« Reply #24 on: Apr 14, 2021, 07:48 AM »
I hear ya

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.