FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: hudson river ?  (Read 5219 times)

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
hudson river ?
« on: Mar 23, 2004, 07:38 PM »
i see some of u fish the hudson, i go to school at the culinary institute of america, and also which is by marist. just wondering if any of you have caught stripers up this way and if u have have u got them from shore. if u have any help with this matter please let me know thank you.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
Re: hudson river ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2004, 01:25 PM »
 ;D ;D any where along the hudson you can get strippers the key is herring,the channel,and time,if you can use live herring,you can catch the herring on hooks
[herring rigs] you need someone to show where and how. use a 3 way swivel
with the lead  below the swivel about a foot with a foot leader for the herring
this may change, its depending on where you are. i have fished the river for over
50 years and this is the best it has been in my life time, i have caught bass,strippers,perch,crappies, gills,herring,shad,FLOUNDER [IN A NET],BROWN TROUT,PICKEREL, PIKE, SMELT, CATS BOTH whites and channels, eels
 and sturgeon.the river is on its way back.
good luck
bob ;D ;D ::) ::) 
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2004, 01:26 PM »
 ;D ;D any where along the hudson you can get strippers the key is herring,the channel,and time,if you can use live herring,you can catch the herring on hooks
[herring rigs] you need someone to show where and how. use a 3 way swivel
with the lead  below the swivel about a foot with a foot leader for the herring
this may change, its depending on where you are. i have fished the river for over
50 years and this is the best it has been in my life time, i have caught bass,strippers,perch,crappies, gills,herring,shad,FLOUNDER [IN A NET],BROWN TROUT,PICKEREL, PIKE, SMELT, CATS BOTH whites and channels, eels
 and sturgeon.the river is on its way back.
good luck
bob ;D ;D ::) ::) 
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

mrlongbeard1

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2004, 02:07 PM »
  Riverrat 2 that is one list of fish. Is the fishing in NYS not the greatest? I'd like to make the trip out towards Albany and try for Stripers. Three to four hrs from here in the Fingerlakes.

got em

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2004, 05:58 PM »
I didnt think you could legally fish for sturgeon in the hudson river.. :'( :'( :'(

Somers

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2004, 06:27 PM »
Legally you cannot fish for sturgeon.  Every year I get one on the bloods fishing for bass though.

merc, riverrat is right.  You can fish anywhere along the river during the run and catch.  Search out some access points in Pough, Hyde park, kingston, any river towns really.  Find a local B+T and inquire about the bass fishing.

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2004, 06:38 PM »
well im big time into stripe bass fishing in jersey, but its from a boat in the ocean. we go often and i do well we use clams or bunker usually on circle hooks and fair good. now i am fishing off shore while im at college :-[ and im hoping to find out what works. i already have all the equipt. but what do you think would be good possibly a crocodile or a bomber? im guessing something that looks like a herring and is easy enough to cast out, anyway hopefully someone can give me some insites on this.

thanx,
M-

Bartman44

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2004, 07:48 PM »
Mark,

Culinary Institute of America?  I bet you can cook up that striped bass fillet twenty different ways.

If you're into lures from shore, try bucktail jigs or jigs with long white twister tails, especially where there's current.

Good Luck,

Bart 

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2004, 08:45 PM »
yea im learing a few ways to cook it up, but i gotta get one outta the hudson first, infact today i caught a 21 inch bass outta the student pond today. everyone said there was no fish in there but i proved htem wrong. anyway it seems as if my next chef is into striper fishing, so ill have to ask him. also id like to ask if fishing by waste disposal plant. i figure the waste that comes out might attract  bait fish, tell me what u guys think

Somers

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2004, 09:06 AM »
Mark,

The disposal plant is a good bet if for nothing else than a rip at the outflow and yes the bait should be there too.

Krocs and bombers will work later in the season when the water warms, but to be honest the bait takes the cake on the river in my experience.  Just rig w/ a fishfinder and toss a bloodworm out for the time being.  Once the herring arrive try them live or chunked.

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2004, 06:20 PM »
thanx guys i plan on going sometime soon if anyone catches any outta of the poughkeepsie area be sure to let me know

M-

Somers

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2004, 07:22 PM »
Got 1 this eve @ 18".  Surprise catfish as well the same size.  Shouldn't be long now Mark.

Timster

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2004, 01:56 AM »
Somers; Where were you fishing out of?
To bad fishing doesn't pay the BILLS!!
God Bless Our Troops/One Of Them Is Mine

Somers

« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2004, 06:05 PM »
Timster, I was fishing in Croton.

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2004, 07:07 AM »
im not sure but i figured id ask does wappingers creek have stripers?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.