FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dock Fishing  (Read 11238 times)

Mentiply

• Crow Point, Lake George
Re: Dock Fishing
« Reply #30 on: Mar 11, 2004, 07:08 PM »
Was fishing just after ice out on lake george one year and got a nice 19" Salmon... My dock was still up but I was right next to it does that count?  :)

eyedoktr

« Reply #31 on: Mar 11, 2004, 07:14 PM »
It used to really pi$$ me off when I lived on Honeoye and get home from work to find people fishing from my dock. I also had a big rip put in a boat seat one time by someone casting just a little too close to my dock and catching the boat instead. On the otherhand, I used to go to the end of my dock (30') and cast towards shore. My neighbors used to think I was nuts until they'd see me catch another walleye.
Pete Lewis

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #32 on: Mar 11, 2004, 07:18 PM »
Pete,
 It was probably some...ugh....bass...ugh...fisherman!
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Sandman

• Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #33 on: Mar 11, 2004, 07:41 PM »
We have a boat or two at times anchored and panfishing casting around our dock. Same with the bass boats but they continue on. It doesn't bother me as long as the lures stay out of the boat and they stay in the boat. Some people actually get upset when we come down to either fish or take a boat out. Depending on who they are, I take the son's Boombox down and put in a CD of either Scottish Pipers or his heavy metal and walk away. (by the way, works good in the truck when you pull up next to the rappers). The ultimate deterant is when I walk down with a shotgun and load the clay pigeon thrower. They tend to move a good distance away.
Mobil Launch Team - 2 , 5th MAC SOG
de Opresso liber

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #34 on: Mar 12, 2004, 11:15 AM »
I like all the people that think just beacuse they have a dock they own the lake too.

eyedoktr

« Reply #35 on: Mar 12, 2004, 11:54 AM »
SuperX, I agree there are people like that. I had a couple of neighbors who felt the fishing laws didn't pertain to them because they owned waterfront property. Boy, were they upset when I called the DEC (after they had been warned I would call). When I lived on the lake, I didn't care if someone fished around my dock. There were times I was on the dock fishing and would actually stop so the boat guys could make some casts. BUT, they had no right to set foot on my dock, or shoreline, or get into my boat....for any reason.
Pete Lewis

reubenpa

« Reply #36 on: Mar 12, 2004, 04:51 PM »
what dock, and how do you get there, to get the big rockies?
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

reubenpa

« Reply #37 on: Mar 12, 2004, 04:59 PM »
I replied to the first page sorry.... that is talking about Sodus Bay.....  What all docks are good for fishing...  I have fished from the canandaigua pier a little... got a 23 in laker there last nov.
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Sandman

• Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #38 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:21 PM »
I am thinking that I may not have worded myself correctly with the warpped sense of humor I have. I enjoy watching people catch fish by my dock, had many a pleasant conversation and made a few new friends. Often I will point out a better area for them to toss to. On a rare occassion we have to deal with someone who has had a little too much to drink. Foul language and what not. I try to use a little inventative humor to persuade them to move on.  My appologies if needed.
While fishing a bass tournament in the 1000 islands once, I had a lady almost trip down the stairs to her dock as we neared. She told us that she owned all the fish by and under her dock. I just laughed told her I understood, reached in the livewell and asked if she had room for another. Eased a small one in and told it to swim to safety. She thanked me! My partner that day almost wet his pants.
Mobil Launch Team - 2 , 5th MAC SOG
de Opresso liber

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #39 on: Mar 16, 2004, 12:00 AM »
Combining thoughts from a couple of posts to different topics. One thought was the use of a light in the water next to a boat for night fishing. "it establishes a food chain and calls in the fish". The other is this dock fishing thread from RG.

So, has anyone found night fishing off a lighted dock to be particularly productive? Some docks are lit by their owners all night long. Would think Crappies in the spring could be a good combination. If you have fished a lighted dock at night, does the light and dock consistently hold fish? What have you caught?

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Utes

« Reply #40 on: Mar 16, 2004, 09:33 AM »
Sandman,  that's funny as he**, wish i could have been there for that. That lady probably buys food for HER fish too. Bet she's got some SLOBS hanging out by that dock(LOL).

devil-man

« Reply #41 on: Mar 17, 2004, 05:50 AM »
Sandman- I just woke up and you've got me laughing out loud. That is quite a feat. The clay thrower killed me. I think I'd move out a bit myself...
Docks hold fish, they're man-made structures that provide shade and a sense of security for fish. Sometimes even huge bass. My favorite method is skipping a 4" Senko right underneath a dock, giving it a twitch, and hold on!

bigdave1018

« Reply #42 on: Mar 17, 2004, 04:14 PM »
you step on my dock without permission, ill warn you 1st then ill bring the 12 gauge out loaded with rock salt and put a cap in your arse!!!!!!!!!! im 6-7 425 lbs, usually i good growl makes them run for dear life!!!!!!!!!!

devil-man

« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2004, 05:00 PM »
Who's talking about stepping foot on someone's dock?
You don't own the water beneath it.

bassman79

• work is for people who dont fish!!!
« Reply #44 on: Mar 17, 2004, 08:34 PM »
being an avid dock fisherman i must say that i only run into a couple of grumpy dock owners a year  about 98% of the ones i talk to r downright nice asking how they r biting and what to use for bait believe me a couple of worms the right color thrown to kids tryin to catch a bass is cheap pr for us bass hounds i try to do it often  the only time i may get on a dock is as a last resort to getting a snagged cast i feel this is better than a hook stuck in a dock and maybe line hanging from it i treat dock owners as they treat me  but i will fish any dock that might have a hog uder it even if threr is a 12 gauge guard on top LOL!!! bassman79

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.