FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: kayaks?  (Read 17583 times)

GraniteBass

Re: kayaks?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 06:55 PM »
I have a Pelican Apex 130. Love it. Sit on top, tandem so I can take 1 kid fishing. Got it on sale at Sports Authority.

I rigged it for fishing, rod holders, anchor trolley, fish finder holder and everything. Works awesome for fishing. Will not win any races with it but I bet if I had the guts I could cast from it while standing up.

Even trolled leadcore from it with success. See this picture from last year  ;)

Let me know if you need info on rigging.

Also if you guys want to go our yak fishing, let me know.

NHAngler

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Ah kayak fishing. Yes, very fun. Sit on top for sure if you are ever going to fish the salt. Sit inside if you are planning on keeping to calmer waters works too.

Ocean kayak is another brand to consider. Ocean kayak Trident 11 or 13 is a great all around kayak. Nice sit on top that has many models to choose from.

Best suggestion is to try before you buy. Kittery Trading post just had a big indoor event for this recently I think.

Once you get over the price, it is hard to beat a Hobie pedal kayak. Each year I have been buying a new kayak. Now have a Hobie Revolution and can confirm that beyond the addiction of kayak fishing; fishing from a Hobie is an experience that cannot be compared.

Also, check out newenglandkayakfishing.com for more information and a community of local fishing yakkers.
Confidence catches fish! The rest of it is just there to keep us busy.

surflizard

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 05:41 AM »
Most all of the kayak companies offer a fishing specific yak, I picked up my Heritage 12' Featherlight Angler for $349.00 and put a berkley rod holder and paddle clips on it. It has been a great stable fishing platform in both fresh and saltwater, ya can't beat em !

waterwolf603

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 06:12 AM »
wow I didnt realize that people enjoyed kayak fishing so much, it makes me more anxious to get one! Surf I was wondering how I would troll with the kayak with a fly rod and then I saw the mount on the front of yours, does it work well whithout hitting the line with the paddles? I am going out with my cousin on monday to try flyfishing from the yak should I get sinking tip and troll grey ghosts? any tips will definitely help I mostly only use a fly rod on the slamon river and dont typically throw dries or anything of that sort we are going to a pond with brookies, bows, and tigers in it cant wait!!! I just got the good news from him he is moving to Wyoming in 2 weeks to work with an outwardbound program working with at risk youth taking them camping and fishing.. Now I will have a place to vacation and be a trout bum haha.
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

burgerunh

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 08:14 AM »
I have a 14' Emotion fisherman kayak that I bought last year and rigged up.  It is a sit on top style yak.  I just picked up a GPS / Fishfinder this spring for it and I cant wait to get it salty this weekend in Rye.  Last summer I had a blast on it just paddling out off of rye beach or down in rye harbor.  I managed to pick up some flounders but never did too well with the stripers.  My goal for this summer is to get in to the stripers. 

The kayaks are a blast though.  You will definitely like it when you get one.

surflizard

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 12:26 PM »
I have No issues with hitting either the front or back lines while I'm paddling. I picked the Berkley rod holder because of the range of adjustment it has, plus it is removeable.

You aren't kidding Burgerunh, I got into some nice stripers during the fall a few years back just around the corner from the Rye Harbor Jetty, the inside bend of the cove on the park side. Casting Poppers and plugs parallel with the rocks works well there !

waterwolf603

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 12:38 PM »
how is setting the hook on the rod holders in the back do you just set your drag so you can hear it go off, as you cant really watch the hit or are you able to feel it when a fish grabs it?

JIGGIN

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 05:43 PM »
Nice set up Surf!

Go Go Get Em!

GraniteBass

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 06:16 AM »
how is setting the hook on the rod holders in the back do you just set your drag so you can hear it go off, as you cant really watch the hit or are you able to feel it when a fish grabs it?

When I troll, I have the rod in the holder in front of me. That way you can see the rod tip bend. If I want to try with two rods, I just hand one to Jr.

I mainly use the back holders - which are basically very attractive white PVC pipe segments attached to an even more attractive milk carton - just to hold the rods I am not using at the time. If I want to switch from the leadcore to casting into the lilies, I put the big yellow eagle claw back in the holder and take one of the other rods out and store that in the middle. The only thing to remember is to actually store the rear rods collapsed if I am trolling, otherwise a very nice tangled mess can be created easily.

Speaking of casting, the best thing I did was to add the anchor trolley, now I can position the boat at any angle to the wind and cast whichever way I would like, not whichever way the wind and boat would let me.

waterwolf603

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 06:19 AM »
thanks for the tips granite I cant wait to get one!

surflizard

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 06:33 AM »
Thanks JIGGIN, she's my baby ! ;) ;D

Yes WW, I set the drag for 11 o'clock. ;) On shore, I hook the line on something solid and load the rod ( but a bend in it ) at 9 o'clock. I adjust the drag so as I lift the rod to the 11 o'clock posistion, the drag starts to release. I can hear the drag and the rod banging in the holder, on a good strike, you can feel it thru the seat of the yak. Striper strikes will turn the yak when they hit, but getting the rod out of the rear holder is a real chore, learned that the hard way ! :o

waterwolf603

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 06:55 AM »
did somebody end up goin for a swim  ;)  ya I can imagine it may be tough I am going to look into a rod holder similar to what you have in the front and pic up some paddle clips and a few extras pretty excited about this haha I feel like a kid on Christmas!

Capt. Black

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 06:59 AM »
Nice set up Surf. I'm planning to try mine at Newfound this summer. Might have to bring it to Rye when we rent. I haven't forgot about you Tony, still working like crazy. Have not been out for weeks.

Capt. Black

Oddfish

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 07:44 AM »
Kayak fishing has been getting huge, they're easy to maintain and do little impact to the spots you paddle and fish + you can go very shallow and into some spots that other boats can't. Costs nothing to get around but a workout.

I've got two, both sit on tops and rigged for fishing, rod holders, rudder, etc.  I love them so much. One is a wilderness system tarpon 120 the other a native magic 12. They are both great yaks. Natives do have a bit better plastics that they use on there yaks. Don't get a sit inside style........ Sit on tops are the way to go + made for fishing have hulls that are more stable......... I can sit sideways  with my legs in the water on my tarpon + you can stand up in a few styles.

Never had any need for the pedal yak, a bit too expensive for me, but there are people who love them + I guess the pedal parts don't break as easy anymore + most guys with pedal yaks still carry a paddle just in case. If you have the extra cash, why not? Check out the native propel line. Best pedal power in my opinion. If your only looking to spend 400-500 I'd say save a little more.

If you want to go out sometime to test them out, or have any more questions PM me....... I love kayaks.

Clams has it right on the money.  I still use a sit in, but only because I used to be hard core WW, and that's what's in the garage.  The Natives look good.......Negotiating with house ruler for one this year.  Get a drab green or light brown model as they work really well for duck hunting also, especially at low tide in the marshes.  I am looking into the propel system because it seems like every time I fish the wind is at 300 knots.  You can paddle and troll well enough but if you are casting into tight spots for bass, hands free is way better.  With the canoe I only get 2 or 3 casts (usually over my head and backwards before I get blownoff the area)

Oddfish

Always spell check especially when you use the word duck.........That would have been embarassing.......Who's idea was it to put the "U" and "I" that close together on the keyboard anyway????? ::)

waterwolf603

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 07:55 AM »
Ya duck hunting is sweet from a canoe so I can imagine even better from a kayak I do alot of jump shjooting for em so being lower to the water will be even better

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.