FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Minn Kota Ultera Help  (Read 9114 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Minn Kota Ultera Help
« Reply #30 on: Jun 04, 2020, 07:33 AM »
I can understand your dilemma. Really surprised they don't make an 87" without the Link. I have the same concerns about the Ulterra, but in the end I knew I would always wonder if I made a mistake not getting the Ulterra. If mine fails I will be really bummed, but I figured worst case I would get it fixed and then sell it and move to a Terrova. I am hearing more and more good about the Ulterra now that I own it. You rarely hear good reviews but you sure hear the bad ones. So far mine hasn't given me any reason for concern but only time will tell the tale.

I can say for sure that if I had an ocean boat I would get as long as possible. But then again, as you are entering retirement you can start actually picking and choosing your fishing days. I'll bet the 72" will be fine for that boat in 3 and 4 foot seas but anymore and you'd probably want the 87". Kinda hard to spend all that dough and not plan for the worst conditions though. I know what it's like, I was in your shoes 4 months ago.

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #31 on: Jun 04, 2020, 07:34 AM »
Just a question as I read through the thread and look at the nice boat pictures, the auto deploy will it work with the rails around the bow, I have seen this used on other boats and it seems like the unit goes straight up and then down, would it hit the rails of the boat or would it miss it, I have the terrova on my boat and I know it is a pain to walk up and deploy the motor at times, especially with all the floaters for the kids taking up the bow, but I had the same fear of the motor not always working like it should on the auto deploy/store feature and have been following just in case I win the lotto and want to upgrade some things on the boat or new boat.  Thanks for all the info and looks like a nice rig to be out on the water with.

Jethro

« Reply #32 on: Jun 04, 2020, 07:35 AM »
Just a question as I read through the thread and look at the nice boat pictures, the auto deploy will it work with the rails around the bow, I have seen this used on other boats and it seems like the unit goes straight up and then down, would it hit the rails of the boat or would it miss it, I have the terrova on my boat and I know it is a pain to walk up and deploy the motor at times, especially with all the floaters for the kids taking up the bow, but I had the same fear of the motor not always working like it should on the auto deploy/store feature and have been following just in case I win the lotto and want to upgrade some things on the boat or new boat.  Thanks for all the info and looks like a nice rig to be out on the water with.

If you have a bow rail it will have to be cut for any of them to function. If you have a Terrova installed already it should be able to mount in the same place. I really like being able to fish in April with my full enclosure up and sealed and deploy from the cockpit. I already have enough to deal with the kicker motor, down riggers and planer boards or whatever foolish mess I am dragging through the water. Real nice to be able to go back and forth from the big motor to the electric without leaving the helm.

Mac Attack

« Reply #33 on: Jun 04, 2020, 08:42 AM »
Yup - I am going to cut the bow rail.

Geoff - I won't be fishing in 3-4's.
Done that and worse.  No more.
When it caps, about 2 footers, I come ashore or don't go out.
As for cold days, I will still be in Florida.
Our current plans are not to return north until the week before Memorial weekend.
And if it's a year like this one probably later yet.
And in the Fall we will start packing up the week after Labor Day.
We might stay later, but for me, the fishing is winding down up here.

My question is Minn Kota has the following shaft lengths on the Ultera and Terova -
45", 54", 60", and 72"

***censored**** did they jump all the way to 87"???
15"??
Why not 6", 12" or 18"?

The cost adder is the shaft and the wires inside it.
The labor to assemble should be the same.
I know...tooling.
But typically once this is paid for it's a non-recurring cost.

I need to get this darn boat home and do some measuring.
I was hoping this week.
Maybe next week.
Doesn't much matter as I still don't have a driveway out at the lake to put it after I get all my junk mounted to it.

Again, thanks guys.

Jethro

« Reply #34 on: Jun 04, 2020, 12:53 PM »
All I know is I looked into what it would take to change my 60" into a 72 and it was over a grand. Seems excessive.

fishinator

« Reply #35 on: Jun 04, 2020, 01:07 PM »
All I know is I looked into what it would take to change my 60" into a 72 and it was over a grand. Seems excessive.
[/quote ] That does seem excessive. Should only need to lengthen the wires and get a longer shaft. I cut my 60 down to about 52. All I did was shorten wires and cut the shaft.

Mac Attack

« Reply #36 on: Jun 04, 2020, 01:59 PM »

Only $150 between the112# thrust 72"and 60" identically configured per the website

60" - $3100
72" - $3250

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com/featured-products/ulterra?id=21311

mcully

« Reply #37 on: Jun 05, 2020, 05:26 AM »
Mine is on an open bow 211 Key West and no popping out of the water yet. I bet the bow is about as high as your new boats. It's up there with the deep Carolina flare bow. I stand on the bow deck so the choice for me wasn't that big since it's easy to get to. I saw a salt show last week where the captain forgot to hit the spotlock fishing along the beach and the ulterra hit bottom hard. He thought he broke the shaft but it has a safety feature that popped the unit loose from the base. I wish you could manually do that for if and when it doesn't auto deploy. I still hate having to power the unit on manually. My rip-tide had power button on the fob why did they change?

Jethro

« Reply #38 on: Jun 08, 2020, 10:01 AM »
More Ulterra deep thoughts...

Yesterday was the first time I used the motor bass fishing and it was awesome, but I need a 2nd head unit on the bow- or be able to move my Helix 9 unit to the bow. Reason is using the mirco remote. With the micro remote you have no idea the settings your motor is on. I have the beep turned off for when I change speeds or settings because it was annoying. So you shut the prop off and drift for a while, you have no idea if you are on level 1/2 or 8-1/2 when you go to turn the prop back on. It would be handy to have a head unit showing all the motor settings up in the bow. I ended up leaving my big link remote on the deck so I could look down at it, but it times out after 10 minutes or something.

First world problem for sure.

Mac Attack

« Reply #39 on: Jun 08, 2020, 11:48 AM »
yea, times out to save battery life in it.

Thanks for the update......................but bass?!?!?!?

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Jethro

« Reply #40 on: Jun 08, 2020, 01:50 PM »
but bass?!?!?!?
 :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Smallmouth can be fun! What else can I do, salmon seem allergic to me this year. Maybe they have the Covid?

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #41 on: Jun 08, 2020, 02:06 PM »
I thought there was a setting that you could change for the time out, but I guess I use mine enough that I do not see it time out at all, been awhile since I have gone through the handheld to remember all the stuff that I changed on it.  I know I need to get the foot pedal out more when casting and all but when I am doing that I do not really care how fast I am going so usually just set it and leave it once I find the speed to just move me as I cast and reel or jig.  Good information on this one.   Thanks for all who have chimed in, I am still learning neat stuff about the units and all.

Mac Attack

« Reply #42 on: Jun 08, 2020, 09:57 PM »
I stopped at Cabelas tonight and took more measurements.
Also stopped at the boat with donna and took a few.

Then Jeff stopped in to the house afterwards and we discussed things.
The difference in price between the Ulterra and Terrova (112#, 72") is only $400 ($2400 vs $2000).
This is at a place in Buffalo with great pricing on boat equipment - CME Sales.
So for the $400 difference, we decided to chance it and go with the Ulterra.

After laying things out we feel the top of the prop will be about 14" below the water line.
That puts the centerline of the motor about 18" below the water line.

Jethro

« Reply #43 on: Jun 09, 2020, 01:46 PM »
Yep, exactly my thought process. I couldn't pass up the Ulterra for only $400 difference either, I was worried I'd always wonder. Great deal on the motor too, I paid full retail, seems they are taking a bunch off retail for you. I could have gambled on Amazon and saved a couple hundred bucks but I wanted to make sure it was not an older model or if it didn't come through with the Link.. just didn't want to deal with having to return it.

With the weight of that boat I wouldn't worry, I am sure the 72" will work.

I'm sure you have seen the guide on the Minn Kota site for the shaft length? If not I apologize for not posting it sooner https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/faqs/how-do-i-select-shaft-length

SLAYERFISH

« Reply #44 on: Jun 09, 2020, 02:01 PM »
I really thought of getting the Ulterra but why spend $500 when the guy in the front gets to stow and deploy??? ;D

No-brainer!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.