FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cape Cod Canal Closed to Commercial Striped Bass Fishing  (Read 6270 times)

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish

June 3, 2020

Cape Cod Canal Closed to Commercial Striped Bass Fishing
The Division of Marine Fisheries today announced the closure of the Cape Cod Canal to commercial striped bass fishing. Effective immediately, all striped bass retained from the Cape Cod Canal or possessed within 1,000 feet of the Canal’s shoreline must adhere to the recreational fishing limits of one fish of at least 28” total length but less than 35” total length. An exception is made for the possession of striped bass 35” or greater legally caught elsewhere for commercial purposes and being actively transported through the 1,000-foot buffer area to a primary dealer.

This action is taken to address numerous and worsening public nuisance and safety problems arising from increased fishing activity along the Canal. These problems, including anglers conducting themselves in threatening and unruly manners, parking illegally on adjacent roads, trespassing over private property, and interfering with other recreational activities, have been especially acute on open commercial striped bass fishing days. Although the primary mission of the Canal is navigation, a secondary objective of the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers’ management of the surrounding area is to provide recreational opportunities for the public. Accordingly, it is appropriate for the Division of Marine Fisheries to prohibit commercial striped bass fishing along the Canal in order to return the area to its recreational purposes.

This regulation is also expected to greatly enhance compliance and enforcement with this year’s recreational striped bass conservation rules (i.e., the 28” to less than 35” slot limit, circle hook requirement when fishing with natural bait, and prohibition on gaffs and other injurious removal devices) at one of the most productive fishing locations for large bass. Given the Canal’s great popularity as a shore fishing location for striped bass, the Massachusetts Environmental Police and local police departments rely heavily on public tips of illegal fishing activity; however, these tips have previously been hindered by the virtual indistinguishability of recreational and commercial striped bass fishermen. The closure of the Canal to commercial striped bass fishing (in combination with the new 35” commercial minimum size) will enhance the ability of anglers to see and accurately report illegal striped bass fishing activity. Please report tips to the Massachusetts Environmental Police at 800-632-8075.

For the purpose of this closure, the Cape Cod Canal is defined as all waters and shoreline bounded by the most seaward extent of the state pier at Taylor’s Point (“A”) to the most seaward extent of the northern breakwater jetty at the east end (“B”) to the most seaward extent of the southern breakwater jetty at the east end (“C”) to the northernmost tip of the peninsula at the end of President’s Road in Bourne (“D”). Please see the map below.

This closure of the Cape Cod Canal to commercial striped bass fishing has been adopted as an emergency regulation, pursuant to M.G.L. c. 30A, §2, for the preservation of public safety and the general welfare of the community. As such, it shall remain in effect for 90 days, unless adopted as a final regulation. It is anticipated that a public hearing will be scheduled for this summer and a final regulation could be voted on by the Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission at its business meeting on August 20, 2020.

Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries

251 Causeway Street, Suite 400, Boston, MA 02114

I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

lowaccord66

Re: Cape Cod Canal Closed to Commercial Striped Bass Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2020, 07:00 AM »
I fished commercially.  I fish with a bunch of guys who do.  Its not the commercial guys that are creating the issue...it's the internet warriors.  Some of these commercial giys have been fishing the canal for decades.  There were no issues back then. 

fishercat

« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2020, 11:39 AM »
I fished commercially.  I fish with a bunch of guys who do.  Its not the commercial guys that are creating the issue...it's the internet warriors.  Some of these commercial giys have been fishing the canal for decades.  There were no issues back then.

Not  saying  it’s good or bad just passing along information!
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2020, 11:40 AM »
Not  saying  it’s good or bad just passing along information!

Not killing the messenger by any means.  Thanks for the info.

Baitbucket

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2020, 04:34 PM »

Think it has more to do with the issue they were seeing with commercial guys catching bass on "non commercial" days and storing them to sell on commercial days. Which increased the overall traffic (and illegal commercial harvesting) every day. All it takes is a few bad apples.

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2020, 04:57 PM »
I don’t know enough about it to have much of an opinion, but the antis are careful to try and split fishermen into opposing groups.

It’s Easier to get what they want when the people they’re after are fighting amongst themselves.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2020, 05:00 PM »
I'll take videos of the shenanigans I see daily on the canal. the stuff you will see will blow you away. I am literally woken up out of a sound sleep due to what sounds like a tractor trailer of caged gorillas crashing into a tree. they sound like animals with their hooting and hollering at 2am.

fishercat

« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2020, 06:53 PM »
 What I would like to see. Is rules of common sense. Some idiot casting over your head from above you just for a fish any kind of fish. Just dose not work. :nono: :nono:

Oh never mind I’m sorry I forgot common  sense went out in the 80s .

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2020, 07:58 AM »
Think it has more to do with the issue they were seeing with commercial guys catching bass on "non commercial" days and storing them to sell on commercial days. Which increased the overall traffic (and illegal commercial harvesting) every day. All it takes is a few bad apples.

No it had little to do with that actually, and in my decade of literally living at the place all summer I will tell you recs poach way more fish. 

Here's the thing.  People who have never sold a striper have suggested commercials take fish on on commercial days and sell them.  Those people are not aware of the regulations when you actually sell.  Condition of the bass, specifically temperature is measured at the time of sale.  They need to remain cold.  So its not easy for commercial guys fishing from shore to harvest a decent number to sell, and keep them all cold enough to meet the required temprature to sell.

What did happen Will is social media blew up the canal and there was a ton of noise, violence and poaching at the west end last year.  EPO did a sting and guess what...caught all rec fishermen.

I know a LOT of guys who fish the canal commercially and at one point I'd suggest I knew most of them and the ones I knew did things by the book...

Anyways I can see how if you knew nothing of the place it would be easy to blame the guys making money.  However having actually spent a majority of my summers there for a decade I can tell you Will that it isnt the case. 

I know because I stopped going not because of commercial guys but because of all the internet hero googans.

westernmas

« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2020, 08:27 AM »
I'll take videos of the shenanigans I see daily on the canal. the stuff you will see will blow you away. I am literally woken up out of a sound sleep due to what sounds like a tractor trailer of caged gorillas crashing into a tree. they sound like animals with their hooting and hollering at 2am.

Couldn't have said it better.  I tried to fish one night with my gf who waits until sun up to fish and we had to switch spots bc of the morons next to us blaring music, swear, smoking, etc.  To Jon's point there seems to be an equal amount of unpleasant experiences compared to pleasant ones in recent memory and I don't blame him for taking a break from it.  If I had more time and knowledge on other spots I'd prob avoid fishing it as frequently as I do.  CT shore is a heck of a lot closer but I haven't invested the time to learn it.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2020, 09:06 AM »
Couldn't have said it better.  I tried to fish one night with my gf who waits until sun up to fish and we had to switch spots bc of the morons next to us blaring music, swear, smoking, etc.  To Jon's point there seems to be an equal amount of unpleasant experiences compared to pleasant ones in recent memory and I don't blame him for taking a break from it.  If I had more time and knowledge on other spots I'd prob avoid fishing it as frequently as I do.  CT shore is a heck of a lot closer but I haven't invested the time to learn it.

There is an upper limit to how many people can effectively fish a spot.  The canal sees that limit now.  I know why. Ha I miss pulling 40lbers at night there with no one around.  For those of you who just started fishing it...you missed some amazing years.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2020, 09:56 AM »
I have fished the canal a lot less the last couple years because of all the BS. Used to be no problems leaving the house at midnight to drive down and fish it. Still do just not as often. Used to be so peaceful through the nights now yelling, screaming, the trash left behind the list goes on. I was fighting a good
30lb fish and had some idiot cast right over my head from the road. Been several mornings where I've pulled up never taking the bike off or the road off and just sat had coffee and watched the Sh@#$T show. (No more Mary Lou's in Sandwich)  :'(. Not the commericial guys by any means but rather the disrespect for a great fishery and the residence a long the Ditch. It is a bummer. How times have changed.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Baitbucket

« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2020, 10:35 AM »
I know because I stopped going not because of commercial guys but because of all the internet hero googans.

I know you have spent alot of time there and have witnessed whats going on. Ive never been and can only base what I know about what ive read. I do know its popularity exploded, especially over the past couple years with good fishing (thanks to social media as you mentioned). Alot of illegal harvesting, recs keeping more than their limit and undersized fish, massive amounts of trash, and dead fish.

I cant imagine they are banning Commercial fishing because there wasnt something going on. But like i said, ive never set foot at the place, so i couldn't say for certain.

westernmas

« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2020, 03:15 PM »
I think they are really doing it to appease some people.  I think they know it isn't the commercial guys but by closing it to them they can point to it and say they did something.  They don't want to deal with the backlash that would come with closing it to the public.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Baitbucket

« Reply #14 on: Jun 05, 2020, 04:53 PM »
I think they are really doing it to appease some people.  I think they know it isn't the commercial guys but by closing it to them they can point to it and say they did something.  They don't want to deal with the backlash that would come with closing it to the public.

If thats the case, this season will be no different, and people will be bitching again. Ive seen alot of awful and illegal stuff go on for a long time. As soon as money is involved, things change faster than you can blink an eye. Hell they may be using this just as an excuse to end commercial fishing there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.