FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Home Made Shore Fishing Rod Stands (Pictures of my Home made job "in use")  (Read 32158 times)

mealworm

• snoogan
just a thought why not get rid of the wood and put the threaded rod through 1 end of the pvc with a couple of nuts to hold it in place

JustOsmo

just a thought why not get rid of the wood and put the threaded rod through 1 end of the pvc with a couple of nuts to hold it in place

Balance. You need it slightly off center to have the rod balance properly. Theres now ay to put the rod intot he pvc without blocking it preventing the rod from going through. If I was to put it at the end of the pvc the rod would always be falling forward IMO.

BaitWrangler

IMO you just need something that the top of the pole can rest on. Thats how most Carp fisherman do it. The metal base gets screwed down and you pole just rests on the alarm with the butt of the on the ground. Basically like a Y stick concept.

Why don't you look up Rod Pods though and try to copy one of those? Seems like thats why you want to do?  FYI a couple things to keep in mind is you want to make an intelligent design so it can be collapsed for travel and not be 1,000 pounds. If you can't do that then you matters well spend the 80-100 bucks for a nice one.

I use my sand spikes and a mallet though personally. I just can't use an alarm that way but they are more of a Carp luxury... other than that it does the trick.

JustOsmo

IMO you just need something that the top of the pole can rest on. Thats how most Carp fisherman do it. The metal base gets screwed down and you pole just rests on the alarm with the butt of the on the ground. Basically like a Y stick concept.

Why don't you look up Rod Pods though and try to copy one of those? Seems like thats why you want to do?  FYI a couple things to keep in mind is you want to make an intelligent design so it can be collapsed for travel and not be 1,000 pounds. If you can't do that then you matters well spend the 80-100 bucks for a nice one.

I use my sand spikes and a mallet though personally. I just can't use an alarm that way but they are more of a Carp luxury... other than that it does the trick.

It weighs like a pound... weight is hardly a problem. I do understand your point about something for it to rest on. But that can be solved.

No a Rod Pod is not anything liek I am looking to build. This is what I am looking to build, just out of wood and PVC. As I said I was building this froms craps i had. I didnt want to buy anything (ofcourse I have to buy PVC but thats fine).

AN alarm is not needed really as i use a tip pikedaddy gave me to use a hook and bobber on slack line to watch for movement. SOmeday a better alarm would help but I am ok with this jimmy rig.

BaitWrangler

It weighs like a pound... weight is hardly a problem. I do understand your point about something for it to rest on. But that can be solved.

No a Rod Pod is not anything liek I am looking to build. This is what I am looking to build, just out of wood and PVC. As I said I was building this froms craps i had. I didnt want to buy anything (ofcourse I have to buy PVC but thats fine).

Something like that I would probably just try to buy locally if it were under $10 each. It looks like its for smaller tackle, I figured from the looks of what you were trying to build it was to hold something larger - for example my sand spikes were originally made to hold 12 foot surf rods/2lb reels securely while the current is tugging at the bait/lead on the bottom.

Those are just 3 foot sections of 1 1/2 PVC cut at 45º with old cheap aluminum curtain rods bolted on to give it extra depth into the sand. (Since the sand is poor at holding things.)

JustOsmo

Something like that I would probably just try to buy locally if it were under $10 each. It looks like its for smaller tackle, I figured from the looks of what you were trying to build it was to hold something larger - for example my sand spikes were originally made to hold 12 foot surf rods/2lb reels securely while the current is tugging at the bait/lead on the bottom.

Those are just 3 foot sections of 1 1/2 PVC cut at 45º with old cheap aluminum curtain rods bolted on to give it extra depth into the sand. (Since the sand is poor at holding things.)

As I said, this was just a project I wanted to do with scrap i had lying around. If I wanted to buy one I would. But I don't. I just wanted to build something and I happened to need a stand for shore fishing for trout. It was fairly easy to make so I had fun. It should work perfect for what it was designed for I think.

I made 2 sizes. One is sized for my UL 5'6" rod and the 2nd is larger and made for my 6'6" medium rod.

JustOsmo

I went outside and set it up today. I just used 2 hair elastics from the womans dresser for now. It works quite well even with just elastics.

JustOsmo

Also good to note that the threaded rod acts like a lock when you push it into the ground. The threads keep it firmly in the ground. It was alot harder to pull out then push in lol

Steellord

I went out and took a pic of all the various rod holders I use when fishing.

The two on the left are the ones I was talking about in my earlier post. you push the spike in the ground, set rod in it and wait for a strike. Then you just pull rod straight out and then set the hook. The clamp on type I use when in a boat or when fishing from piers and boardwalks. The red groundspike I got to use at a campground pond I used to fish at.
Steellord
Maille Artisan
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.

salmon stalker

Osmo, i would imagine you would want your pole tip up a little higher, no??? Maybe changing the angle the block is on the rod would help bring your tip up. I don't do alot of shore fishing but I always keep my rod tip up, not aiming straight ahead. Maybe that is just me though  8)

I give you an A for creativity though  :laugh:
The outdoors, a real man's playground!!!!!!

reelNeYesin

• fishing NYS...........PRICELESS
Osmo, i would imagine you would want your pole tip up a little higher, no??? Maybe changing the angle the block is on the rod would help bring your tip up. I don't do alot of shore fishing but I always keep my rod tip up, not aiming straight ahead. Maybe that is just me though  8)

I give you an A for creativity though  :laugh:
lmao...i hate to say it but you are going to lose more fish than you catch just trying to get the pole off the wood
what ever happened to the "y" stick hahaha
make it so the rod comes out/off effortlessly
theres mosquito's on the river.  .   . fish are rising up like birds

JustOsmo

lmao...i hate to say it but you are going to lose more fish than you catch just trying to get the pole off the wood
what ever happened to the "y" stick hahaha
make it so the rod comes out/off effortlessly

As I said i just used the elastics to show how the rod will be on it. I will be putting a pvc tube on the wood to slide the rod into. I dont see how having to slide a rod forward 6 inches out of a tube can cause me to lose fish.

JustOsmo

Osmo, i would imagine you would want your pole tip up a little higher, no??? Maybe changing the angle the block is on the rod would help bring your tip up. I don't do alot of shore fishing but I always keep my rod tip up, not aiming straight ahead. Maybe that is just me though  8)

I give you an A for creativity though  :laugh:

I can angle the rod that goes intot he ground when i push it in. That would angle the rod more or less depending on the ground.

Most shore fishing rod holders i saw had around the same angle I put on it or atleast i think i did. I could even bend the rod a little.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.