FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: This sure sums up why planting trout is Clear Lake are history  (Read 1385 times)

taxid

Is the Oliver Lake Chain next?

Got this from assistant fisheries biologist Matt Horsley that does a lot of water quality testing.

The thing is 2 mg/l of oxygen is lethal to trout and just about any other sport fish. The warmer water fish can move up into warmer water and be O.K. Not so with trout.

“One of the reasons trout were able to do so well in Clear for all those years was that the north basin had a 2nd DO layer in that 45 to 50 ft range where DO levels would reach 5-7 ppm.  I have monitored that layer the past 3 years and during the middle of summer it drops to below 2.  I am not sure what causes that second layer to form but it is very unique.  Crooked lake in Noble county also has that unique layer. “

A blast from the past: Bill LaVigne Fort Wayne holding a big Clear Lake rainbow.

My biggest back in the hey day was just over 7 lbs. How about you?

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Ilove2fish

I live in Whitley County and understand they stock rainbow in Cedar lake.  Never fished for inland trout but sure am gunna give it a try after this 4-5 day rain front passes.  I know there have to be some trout whisperers on here, any advise on technique and depth for this time of year? 

staubsaugen

Or small spoons

Ilove2fish

Thanks for the advice!  Can't wait to give it a shot.  Are they in the shallow's this time of year?  Been beating the bass up pretty hard excited to try something new.

taxid

Thanks for the advice!  Can't wait to give it a shot.  Are they in the shallow's this time of year?  Been beating the bass up pretty hard excited to try something new.

Yeah probably top 10 feet or so. Near shore or suspended. Some holdover fish actually will stay near the bottom feeding on invertebrates and any minnows they can find.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Fisherben1

The narrows on big cedar can be good from dawn until the sun tops the trees. Good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.