FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Replacing Boat Carpet ?  (Read 16550 times)

esox v

Replacing Boat Carpet ?
« on: May 28, 2011, 07:59 AM »
  Any of you guys do your own carpet replacement ? I will have no trouble with the floor and decks... I was wondering about the compartment lids... Do I need a special glue for them ? Not sure if the regular adhesive will stick well enough to wrap the carpet around them.The last boat I did had metal trim around the lids
 Any tips would be Appreciated.. Thanks
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Hollywood

Re: Replacing Boat Carpet ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:05 AM »
The last one I did ( in an old bass tracker) I replaced the deck board too & bought new compartment frames & lids, I went with a solid vinyl one but I remember they sold them where you could add carpet. I've found that PL400 will stick anything to anything- just be sure you never want to take it apart again!

Gamma Fish

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:36 AM »
The last one I did ( in an old bass tracker) I replaced the deck board too & bought new compartment frames & lids, I went with a solid vinyl one but I remember they sold them where you could add carpet. I've found that PL400 will stick anything to anything- just be sure you never want to take it apart again!
Ain't dat da truth ?  :o :o  Great stuff for all applications but one word of caution.   If it's very hot out, the PL 400, along with many other adhesives will dry fast and shrink which results in the carpet pulling or in some cases, causing it to actually shrink a bit.    68 to 75 degrees is the unlitmate drying temperatures for most adhesives.    We did one a few years back and it was sunny and 90 degrees outside.  The next morning, it looked like crapola !   Pulls, ripples etc.   Found out it was all due to the glue drying too fast.
  Keep your work in the shade or bring the pieces inside and carpet them there.........just make sure you have some ventilation or you'll be walking around Greatful Dead fan at a week long concert  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

Icedauber

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 01:10 PM »
Just did this with vinyl for the floor. 3M spray adhesive worked great on both carpet and vinyl.

esox v

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 01:53 PM »
  Keep your work in the shade or bring the pieces inside and carpet them there.........just make sure you have some ventilation or you'll be walking around Greatful Dead fan at a week long concert  ;D ;D ;D ;D
After my first few dozen shows...I tend to be that way most of the time...  :wacko: :wacko:

You should give me a hand when I do it !! Payment will include...  Shrimp.. Ribeye Steak.. Lobster tail ,Salad's and unlimited adult beverages of you choice .... YOU IN ??

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

esox v

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 01:56 PM »
Just did this with vinyl for the floor. 3M spray adhesive worked great on both carpet and vinyl.
I would love a vinyl floor !! I was thinking a contact style adhesive that way when you stuck it it would be done...... There has to be a different type adhesive  for the lids

bcons

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Another option other than carpet, is truck bedliner.  Down south it's used ALOT, there's 3-4 companies that make it in several colors.  With no long term freeze the amount of mold growth  would drive ya nutz. So it became pretty popular.  I've done 2 boats with it LOVE it.  I hate carpet, the new boat has none.  There's nothing like being able to take a simple bleach solution, followed by a little regular cleaner & pressure wash.  Clean any mess in a couple minutes.  Another use for it that's VERY popular down there is truck undercarriage, rockers, and basically all along the bottom 16-20" of the truck.  Looks sharp if done well.  It'll stop rust.  My toy is a 95 Ford, I plow with it so it's driven all winter. I did the front bumper 4 yrs ago, not a spec of rust, doing the rest this yr.
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

Gamma Fish

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 01:12 AM »
After my first few dozen shows...I tend to be that way most of the time...  :wacko: :wacko:

You should give me a hand when I do it !! Payment will include...  Shrimp.. Ribeye Steak.. Lobster tail ,Salad's and unlimited adult beverages of you choice .... YOU IN ??
Absolutely ! ;)     But, Bcons, with his devine wisdom, has a great point pertaining to the spray on bed liner !     It really makes for a nice looking and looooong lasting floor covering and like the "Wise One" said, it's soo easy to keep clean !   
  A buiddy of mine from Deep South Oswego did his boat recently and it really looks great !    You can add sand to the bed liner to make an even more slip resistant floor.   Really the smart way to go instead of vinyl or carpet !
  Uh....did I mention I can wield a mean spray gun ? :whistling: :whistling:

I wish I went that route with my Lund a couple years ago when we replaced the casting deck flooring.  Next time around it's gonna get the Rhino Liner treatment ! ;)
Plastics are Fantastic !

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 04:48 AM »
i  fished  in  lance's john  boat (fishing  mech)  he  used a  texture  paint  and  it looks  awsome  and  non  slip
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Trakndwg

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 12:23 PM »
I started using 3M Super 77 Multipurpose adhesive spray a couple seasons ago when it was recommended by Clam Corp. to patch my ice fishing shanty. Since then I've used it a lot for all kinds of garden and fishing equipment repairs including gluing down carpet in 'hard to get at' spots on the boat. GREAT STUFF!   
"All fishermen are liars. If they tell you they are not liars they are lying to you." --Paul Herbert (Tuna.com)

celt6

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 11:45 AM »
3M the more expensive one, I think its 5200 or so, works great and is water proof, I use that to convert jons to small bass rigs.

esox v

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 05:21 PM »
3M the more expensive one, I think its 5200 or so, works great and is water proof, I use that to convert jons to small bass rigs.
Beautiful Job !! Looks SWEET !!

trapper2000

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 05:32 PM »
ya  can  just  use  out  door  carpet  adhesive ...it's a  lot  less  toxic  and   works  great  in  the   sun .

but  i  done  the  carpet thing  in  boats  and  i  think  it's a  stupid  idea   for  anyone  that   really  fishes  ...hooks  jigs  and    fish  smell!!!!  i  want  too   take  the  garden  hose  and  wash  the  boat  out  at the  end  of  the  day  thats  just  me!

esox v

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 06:37 PM »
ya  can  just  use  out  door  carpet  adhesive ...it's a  lot  less  toxic  and   works  great  in  the   sun .

but  i  done  the  carpet thing  in  boats  and  i  think  it's a  stupid  idea   for  anyone  that   really  fishes  ...hooks  jigs  and    fish  smell!!!!  i  want  too   take  the  garden  hose  and  wash  the  boat  out  at the  end  of  the  day  thats  just  me!
Thats all fine and dandy but my walleye boat would look kind of funny with out it !! I power wash mine or take it to the car wash a couple times a year and never have a smell problem... I also don't use the  floor of my boat as a fish basket !! ;D ;D ;D  I probably will use that for the flat surfaces..
Most of the less toxic stuff doesnt hold up half as well.... water based Exterior paints and stains are a classic for holding up like crap...     

trapper2000

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 06:42 PM »
i  carpet  out door  steps and  it last  longer then the  carpet  ....the  rest  is  basicly  contact  cement  which  has  toelene  in it !!!!  do what you think is  best

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.