FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Corn-less carp  (Read 12452 times)

gillyman

Corn-less carp
« on: Mar 25, 2012, 10:44 PM »
In my state corn is illegal to use as bait.  You can not even have it in your possession.  I would use worms but the lake is full of small bluegill.   Any thoughts on a good bait.  The carp in this lake are LARGE.   Corn meal, flour, or corn juice would not be illegal.
Thanks for any help.

taxid

Re: Corn-less carp
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2012, 10:48 PM »
The hottest bait I have ever used is crushed Wheaties cereal mixed with vanilla extract and kneaded up into small dough balls. It seems to stay on the hook good too. Unfortunately its been so long I don't recall if we used any water or how much of the vanilla extract we used. But the carp easily found it on the bottom. As you probably know they have a very keen sense of smell and taste.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2012, 06:57 AM »
Mix the Wheaties with Raspberry soda...

gillyman

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Thanks!  I guess if I think it needs more water, I can add some 8).

waterwolf603

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2012, 09:50 AM »
I like to use oatmeal or just straight up bread have caught them on both, good luck
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2012, 12:21 AM »
A person could make some boilies for the carp, they seem to work well with some carp anglers.
They also can be flavored with spices and fruit flavors.

One of the tackle shops here in Sask. use to sell a boille they called ""Tutti Frutti", LOL. ;D

There are a few different boilie recipes if you look online.

WW

buzzbomb

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2012, 08:27 PM »
I was actually going to suggest the same thing, WW, but you beat me to it.  There are lots of things besides corn to bait with, but if the law says no chumming the next step should be to determine if method mix or packbait without corn is legal.  If you can prebait, but without corn, you could whip up a couple of pounds of boilies and put out freebies with a slingshot.  I caught on crude homemades first time out on carp that had never seen a boilie before so don‘t be scared.
If you say the word "gullible" really slow, it sounds like "oranges".

hammercarp

• Fish and have Fun
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2012, 03:51 PM »
Try this.
Buy some Puffed Corn. It is for sale in grocery stores as breakfast cereal. Put a single piece on a 2/0 baitholder hook with about 4 inches of line tied to the hook. Use a barrel swivel to attach it to your line. Use a sliding egg sinker above the barrel swivel. Use just enough weight to hold it in place. Buy some large flake rolled oats ( not quick or instant ) . To 3 lbs of oats add one can of creamed corn and a tablespoon of salt. Mix throughly. Take a handful of the mixture and pack it well around your baited hook. Cast it out and hang on. :)

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2012, 03:03 PM »
Try this.
Buy some Puffed Corn. It is for sale in grocery stores as breakfast cereal. Put a single piece on a 2/0 baitholder hook with about 4 inches of line tied to the hook. Use a barrel swivel to attach it to your line. Use a sliding egg sinker above the barrel swivel. Use just enough weight to hold it in place. Buy some large flake rolled oats ( not quick or instant ) . To 3 lbs of oats add one can of creamed corn and a tablespoon of salt. Mix throughly. Take a handful of the mixture and pack it well around your baited hook. Cast it out and hang on. :)

So the puffed corn causes the bait to float up off the bottom a little even with the mixture around it (I assume the mixture dissolved as soon as it hits the water to attract the carp?)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2012, 03:00 AM »
Use a Hair Rig.

The Hair rig will always hook in the mouth.

Substitute any bait you like. Small pieces of foam such as from a Styrofoam coffee cup can be added in between to float the bait if you like. Not really necessary though. Keep the hook small. I seldom use more than a #8 Octopus. Keep the weight light as possible.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

waterwolf603

« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2012, 06:27 AM »
those hair rigs are great but can be a pain in the butt at first, like RG said tho they hook em great you tube has a ton of bait rigging tips and tactics for carp
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

youngster

• Just Do IT
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 05:43 PM »
i tried the quaker oats yesterday  and when the carp showed up they hammered it.  im a tried and true cormeal and vanilla guy  guy but the fact i can just take a container of oatmeal to the river and mix with a little water to make doughballs was great...  next time ill try a little vanilla with it....thanks for the tips everyone and happy memorial day to all

Hillbilly75

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 12:30 AM »
Nice! Gonna have to try that myself.
Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves.

SKUNK-MASTER

« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2012, 11:08 AM »
this past summer i used doughballs made from cornmeal vanilla and sugar........tried putting them in spawn sacs used for eggs.......used orange and yellow........keeps the dough non the hook(mostly if you need to cast long distances).    seemed to work great and got as many bites as without ;D

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

youngster

• Just Do IT
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2013, 10:04 AM »
just back from river carp fishing. I was a tried and tru cornmeal guy with vanill and salt but went 3 times now with just quaker oats and hammered them.. like poster before said kinda nice just putting some in ur fist at waters edge dippin in water for a second with fist closed and kneadin it up into a ball.. can be messy.  but worked great.  got me a new ambassador 6500 prorocket and vendetta heavy rod. awesome combo  with the clicker on the reel.  still experimenting. but had a blast.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.