FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bass Fishing / 5th-Wheel Camping  (Read 3067 times)

spitzomt

• Living in the 406 !!
Bass Fishing / 5th-Wheel Camping
« on: May 20, 2013, 03:17 AM »
Hey all. Looking for some advice/info. Would like to do a 3 - 4 day camping/fishing trip with the 5th-Wheel in tow to take the wife & daughter somewhere to attempt some bass fishing. We have never fished for bass before and would like to cross it off our bucketlist. I've googled for info and found that there are quite a few lakes in the northwest part of the state. We would mostly like to fish for largemouth. The perfect scenario for us would be a lake that offers a decent opportunity to catch bass with a campground or RV Park very close by. The overall length of my 5th-Wheel is 33.5 feet, so if in a campground I would need a fairly decent sized spot. We live in Anaconda, so the least amount of miles traveled the better. Can any of you fellow fishermen offer me some suggestions?? Thank you in advance for any info & take care!!

Sent via iPad2

Cornbread

Re: Bass Fishing / 5th-Wheel Camping
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:41 AM »
Bull River campground has what you are looking for and the launch is right there at the entrance to the campground. You can fish large and smallmouth bass in that area up or down the reservoir from Bull River. I have done well on large and small mouth in that area: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/kootenai/recreation/fishing/recarea/?recid=64827
There are only two types of truly happy people in this world, married women and single men.

Lundin-loading

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Bull River campground has what you are looking for and the launch is right there at the entrance to the campground. You can fish large and smallmouth bass in that area up or down the reservoir from Bull River. I have done well on large and small mouth in that area: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/kootenai/recreation/fishing/recarea/?recid=64827

Thats a very nice campground! i was up that way last summer, after getting some advice from cornbread and i was very pleased with the campsite, and especially the fishing! On top of the bass opportunities, theres a ton of perch, and the occasional walleye or pike in that stretch of the reservoir.
Beauty

spitzomt

• Living in the 406 !!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:56 PM »
Bull River campground sounds like its exactly what I'm looking for. I see its at Noxon Reservoir and I've never been there. You mentioned a boat launch at the campground and unfortunately I don't own a boat. Now another question, probably a stupid one, but I don't have a clue - LOL. Is a boat needed to catch bass or can they be caught from shore?? Thank you for the replies, much appreciated...............take care!!

Sent via iPad2

The Rezerend

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 05:18 PM »
Not sure bout Noxon, but grew up fishing Ninepipe, Kicking Horse and Pablo from the shore for bass. The old man's been doing it for 50 plus years. Granted boats aren't allowed on Ninepipe and Pablo but still did alright on Kicking Horse. Hopefully someone will chime in about Noxon but bass from the shore can be done and relatively easily if its the right time of year. Find a weedy bay and start throwing stuff. Depending on the season anything from Carolina, Wacky, or Texas rigged worms to top water floats or spinners. If ya have an idea of what time of year maybe someone with some experience on Noxon can help a little more.

Cornbread

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Unfortunately yes, to fish most of Noxon you would need some type of boat and because of the distances you can go on it, it is better to have a decent sized boat with a good engine especially if the wind picks up. Most of the boats I see on Noxon are 16' or better although you do see a few 12' - 14' ones now and then in the smaller bays. Like The Rezerend said probably the best place to catch bass from shore in waders etc. would be the reservation reservoirs he mentioned but be sure you check the regs for when they are open as they are waterfowl nesting areas and don't follow the regular seasons. You need a reservation permit to fish and camp on the rez. Not sure where the closest or best camping to those areas is? Maybe somebody else would know on here?
There are only two types of truly happy people in this world, married women and single men.

spitzomt

• Living in the 406 !!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 06:50 AM »
Everyone...............thank you so much for the replies!! Maybe a few others will chime in with some other ideas and I'll be doing a bit more research myself. I don't have a specific date set for our trip, but I do know it will be sometime between 6/1 & 6/15. Take care & best of luck to you all out on the open water!!

Sent via iPad2

perchslayer95

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 01:33 PM »
Lake mary Ronan is a pretty good place for bass and there is a couple different campgrounds on the lake.   There is Camp Tuffit, There is a State Park and there is The Lake Mary Ronan Lodge.   Once the bass start to heat up the action gets pretty good off of the docks and anywhere else along the shores. and you can rent boats and do some perch and salmon fishing as well.

spitzomt

• Living in the 406 !!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 02:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply perchslayer95. I'll definitely look into LMR. Take care...............

Sent via iPad 2

GFIceMan

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 10:04 PM »
Probably the closest place to you is Placid Lake, but you probably need a boat. The lakes already mentioned on the reservation would be a great start. Cornbread is right, you need a boat to fish on Noxon. For shore fishing and taking kids I would recommend Tongue River Reservoir. TONS of opportunities from the shore. Lots and lots of smallmouth in there, not too many largemouth but a ton of crappie as well. That might be the best shore bass spot I can think of.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.