FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2013 Trip - From Saskatchewan  (Read 2787 times)

ochocenko

2013 Trip - From Saskatchewan
« on: Apr 14, 2013, 03:45 PM »
So my brother and I are planning a trip down to Montana sometime in late June or early July. Planning to drive down from Saskatoon, Sk. with my boat and fish somewhere not too too far from the border. Our hopes were to try for some bass seeing as we don't really have the chance to fish for them around here. After some quick searching we have kind of set our tentative sites on Fresno Reservoir. We were only planning on doing a long weekend so it would only be maximum two days of fishing.

Now, I'm hoping I could get some help from you folks as to possibly where to go, how to get there, where to maybe stay and such. Is Fresno worth trying for bass? Is there another place close by that we may have better luck? Not looking for anything really big, just wana knock bass off my bucket list.

Is there any regulations regarding boats and motors? I've got a '96 two stroke 70 johnson... do I have to worry about where I go in that area with a two stroke? Any tips and help would be great. I've only just begun to read the Montana fishing regulations so I'll be slowly picking my way through that as well.

Thanks!

hardwater

Re: 2013 Trip - From Saskatchewan
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2013, 04:11 PM »
It's simple to get to.  It's 15 miles east of Havre.  You go about 12 miles west on Highway 2, go past the signs to the dam one mile and take a right to Kremlin bay, there's a camping area here, there's probably others, but that is a good launch..  Kremlin is the west bay and Keihns is the east.  The points off these are usually productive for walleyes, not really sure of a good smallmouth population there.  

If you are planning on staying in a hotel, as far as I know, you'd have to stay in Havre and make the 15 or so mile trip every day.  I couldn't recommend a hotel.

If it was me, I'd drive to Fourchette Bay on Fort Peck.  Just drive down to Malta, go south out of town on highway 364 and follow the signs on 60 miles of slow going gravel roads and set up camp.  

Your boat would be just fine on both of those bodies of water.

GFIceMan

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2013, 04:19 PM »
I agree with Hardwater. There are no bass in Fresno. Fourchette on Fort Peck would be a great trip. But like Hardwater said its 60 miles of gravel. It is EXTREMELY remote. No electricity, no gas. Just a ramp and an outhouse. If you arent interested in 60 miles of gravel I recomend fishing the Big Dry Arm of Fort Peck Lake. Its on the east side of the reservoir. Launch out of Rock Creek and you will be into smallies all weekend!!! I have fished all over that lake for smallies. So if you have any questions at all feel free to ask.

FishN4Eyes

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2013, 01:28 PM »
It's simple to get to.  It's 15 miles east of Havre.  You go about 12 miles west on Highway 2, go past the signs to the dam one mile and take a right to Kremlin bay, there's a camping area here, there's probably others, but that is a good launch..  Kremlin is the west bay and Keihns is the east.  The points off these are usually productive for walleyes, not really sure of a good smallmouth population there.  

If you are planning on staying in a hotel, as far as I know, you'd have to stay in Havre and make the 15 or so mile trip every day.  I couldn't recommend a hotel.

If it was me, I'd drive to Fourchette Bay on Fort Peck.  Just drive down to Malta, go south out of town on highway 364 and follow the signs on 60 miles of slow going gravel roads and set up camp.  

Your boat would be just fine on both of those bodies of water.

This x 100.

Solid advice for sure.

ochocenko

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2013, 04:25 PM »
Thanks guys... fort peck it is... now just to decide on fourchette or big dry arm.

robbi

« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2013, 01:23 PM »
Other guys, such as GFIceman have a much better knowledge of fishing Ft Peck than I do.  BUT......I've hunted that area alot and the one thing I can tell you is that if you're down a dirt road 60 miles and it rains........you're gonna be there until it drys out.  It's horrible country in the Fourchette area if it's wet.  I think the Dry Arm will provide excellent fishing and more access.  If Rock Creek isn't producing you can simply go up near the dam by paved road and launch from there etc.  But, from what I know.....both areas are great fishing.....also, Hell Creek on Ft Peck. 

hardwater

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 07:45 PM »
Thanks guys... fort peck it is... now just to decide on fourchette or big dry arm.

No one is launching at Forchette, the water levels are too low and there's a long stretch of mud past the boat ramp.  I'm doubting there'll be enough water to access the ramp there at all this summer.

Westside sports at 406-654-1611 will be able to give you up to date information if anyone is launching down there.

ochocenko

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 05:30 PM »
You gotta be kidding me... haha well its a good thing you posted cuz we are less than 48hrs to departure... is there anywhere else near fourchette we can launch/stay?

hardwater

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 06:29 PM »
It's not really near, but still Fort Peck.  Rock Creek Marina(big dry arm) told me yesterday he still has room for tents over the weekend.  The smallmouth fishing has been good.  Hell Creek would be another option but I bet that place will be packed by Friday.  This is Memorial Day weekend down here and most of the campgrounds will be fairly full. 

Also, I hate to be a killjoy, but the wind forecasted for most of the rest of the week looks bad.  30mph+ through Saturday where it drops to 25mph.  Those are winds from Jordan to the town of Fort Peck and there is a lake wind advisory from Wednesday to Thursday.  That is not a lake you want to mess with in high winds.  I was planning on going to Rock Creek for the long weekend, but I think I'll stay closer to home and fish Tiber where the wind looks manageable, but no small mouths there.

ochocenko

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 07:41 PM »
Oyi... well I guess we will have to figure something quick. we plan to be there Thursday night and leave Sunday. Hopefully the winds die down.

hardwater

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 03:06 PM »
The wind forecasts are looking much more manageable now, good luck to you out there!

ochocenko

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 06:28 PM »
Thanks! Called up rock creek today and it sounds like that's our final destination now... Now just to have the fish cooperate! Thanks everyone for the help, and I'll post pictures from the trip when we get back. Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.