FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing fun.  (Read 74578 times)

chelsea

• sr member
Re: Fishing fun.
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 08:02 PM »
hi waterwolf,
looks like you had a good result from your 1st fishing trip,good pictures.
l myself enjoy fishing cowan lake at big river a nice part of saskatchewan.
we go to poplar point resort we catch some pike but not as much as you do.
but all good fun nice to be out in the boat,been out 4 times so far this season
yet to catch a fish it seems a bit slow at the moment,
regards,
chelsea.
[perchman on f s .ca] ;D
fish on

eyecatcher00

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 04:43 PM »
buddy just went camping at poplar point this last weekend and he isnt much of a fisherman but they rented a boat and went out there and hammered the pike. So it looks like they are gonna pick up for you

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Thanks chelsea,
I was happy just to get away for a few hours, and get in on some action on my first day out. :)

I also really like fishing up at Big River / Cowan Lake, but have not been there for a few years now.

I am not sure how the fishing is now, but I must say that Cowan Lake was the best fishing action I have when I was there.

I remember one weekend in paticular in July when my fishing partner and I caught 100 pike in one weekend
near popular point area and just across the lake from it, nothing huge, but it was awsome fishing none the less.
They were biting every thing we threw at them it didn't really seem to matter what it was as long as it was in the water.
I even had 2 come a foot out of the water to grab my hanging lure,lol. :laugh:

Keep working at those Cowan Lake fish and you should hit some mighty fine days in some might fine county.

Good fishing. ;)

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 06:03 PM »
Hi all,

On Sunday, May 29th my uncle, and I went fishing to the Fishing Lake area for a few hours, my aunt was there to, but didn't fish.
This is my uncles first time fishing since last fall, so he was eager to get back at it.

We fished from 3:00pm until 8:20pm.

It was a windy and cloudy afternoon with cool temps.

We found a spot we hoped would have some fish in it and fished until evening.

In that time we caught 8 pike, 5 for me 3 for my uncle. 8)

The pike were averaging 3 -3.5 lbs.

I caught the big pike of the trip. :)

It was 6.7 lbs and 30.1"long.

Most of the pike had small nicks, scrapes and scratches on them as well as split fins.
A couple had large bite marks on them from a much bigger pike.

The pike hit swimbaits, soft plastic lizards and I also caught a few on a new soft plastic I picked up called a Rage Tail "Space Monkey",lol, where do they come up with these names.  ::)
The big pike of the day hit the new Rapala Clackin' Crank.

One of the fish we kept had shrimp, tiny perch and good sized smooth stone in it's stomach and one angler I chatted with said he caught a 8.5 lb pike in that area that had a 12" fresh garter snake in it's stomach. :w00t:
It don't seem to matter what the prey is for pike, as long as it just a bit smaller than them it's lunch,lol. :P

Over all it was another good trip with a fair amount of action and aggressive fish. ;D

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #34 on: Jun 06, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Hi all,
Here is a fishing report for Sunday, June 5th.

My destination was Theodore Reservoir and with my previous luck there I was hopeful.

I fished from 3:00pm until 6:30pm and during that time it was a nice afternoon with light winds, warm temps and sunny skies.

There were many angler out enjoying the day.
At any one time there were 20 boats on the water and 12 -15 shore anglers.

From what I heard fishing seemed to be better from shore than from the boats coming in.
Most shore anglers had a few fish, mostly not bad perch and small pike while a good number of the boat anglers were coming in skunked. tongue

I set up on the edge of the group of shore anglers and on my 3 cast I had 2 taps followed by a strike and
the familiar head shakes of fighting a pike.
First fish of the day. :)

An hour or so later I had another strike and fish #2 is netted.

I cast a for a while longer but the action slowed so I switch to a pickerel rig for perch and cast it out.
10 min later the rod bows and the line pulls, I set the hook a hard pulling fish, this is no perch, lol.  :laugh:
Fish #3 and the big one of the afternoon at 3.7 lbs.

This would be the last fish before I leave.

I was again happy with how the afternoon went, and look forward to the next fishing adventure. 8)

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #35 on: Jun 16, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Hi guys,

My latest fishing adventure was a 2 day deal.

Day1. Pike Patrol.

The first day of shore fishing was June 10th. and I was exploring a few fishing spots, in around the Fishing Lake area.

Spot 1 was at Fishing Lake and the temps were perfect for fishing.

This spot gave up 2 pike.

This one hit on the 2nd cast. :)

This one 10min later.

After half an hour with no action I moved to spot 2 where is yielded a strike and another pike.

That was it for that area and after another 20 min and I stopped for something to eat.

By the time I hit the water it was getting a bit later so I though I would try another lake close by.

I started fishing by 8:17pm and went to 9:30pm.

In that time the fishing was good and five more pike were caught.

I quit when I could not see my lure hit the water.

Day2. Walleye whackin'

The second day was an late afternoon early evening trip for walleye to Round Lake.

A fishing buddy and I fished from roughly 6:15pm until the mosquitoes got really bad at 9:00pm. :P

It was a cloudy, cool and windy with the shore fishing was off for most of the trip.

There were a good number of shore and boat anglers out ,but most had no luck what so-ever. :-\

Our luck began to change around 8:30pm, and I net the first walleye of the day.

In the end we netted 7 walleye, 3 for me and 4 for my buddy who went fishing for the first time this season.

My 2 other fish.

My buddies double header on back to back casts.

I didn't even get the 1st one out of the net when he had another one on,lol. :laugh:

The pike from the first day averaged from 1.5 - 3.5 lbs and the walleye looked like clones of each other at a 1.5 -1.7 lb.

All in all I was happy to be able to get out for 2 days and the good fishing made it even better. ;)

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #36 on: Jun 20, 2011, 05:09 PM »
Hi All,

June 18th was my latest fishing adventure and today destination was Kipabiskau Lake.

My fishing partners and I left in a rain storm and it continued to rain and lighting most of the way there. :wacko:
We though we may be rained out but as we got to the lake the the sky cleared a bit and the rain stopped. It was still a bit windy but that was fine.

The lake had a fair wave action with some algae bloom starting and thick weed growth near shore.

One partner opted to fish with a pickerel rig while the other partner and my self went to a more active approach and cast.

This area was had good pike action and over the cores of the afternoon and evening we caught 14 pike, 8 for me and 6 for my other partner. :)
The fish defiantly wanted a moving target and my partner with the pickerel rig only had a few light nibbles and stolen bait.

The fish that day were not large, averaging 1lb - 1.5 with a bigger 3 lber that was lost at shore.

Four of the pike caught had Black Spot Disease over their entire body. I have not seen this very often and this is the first lake this year that I saw fish with it.

Here is a few photos of the days action.

I have never really had much action at Kip in the past, but I was happy with these results and will be trying it again some time.

All the fish went back to fight another day. :flex:

P.S - here is a web page that tells what black spot disease is as well as other parasites in fish, nasty stuff. :P  -----> http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/janfeb06/raw.html

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #37 on: Jun 27, 2011, 05:33 PM »
Hi guys,

Here is my fishing report for June 25th.

My partners and I were mostly exploring the Mc.Bride Lake area seeing the sights, but in the later afternoon we stopped to fish at 3 of the lakes for a short time at each one.

It was a cool and windy afternoon / evening with some rain storms moving through the area from time to time.

Our first stop was Parr Hill Lake.

This merganser mom had quite the little flock. :w00t:

She hurried them along and was out of sight quickly.

I was fishing Parr Hill Lake about 10 min before the first good rain storm moved in, but before I had to call it quits, I net this feisty little pike.

On our next stop we tried to locate the Little Swan River to fish at, but to no avail. :P

We then checked out Pepaw Lake, complete with several pairs of loons.

Close up of one of the pair.

As we arrived it started to rain again, but one fishing buddy and I decided to fish anyways, while the other watched in the truck.

As we were fishing we saw neat sight, this doe whitetail deer swam across the lake not one, twice or even three but four times.
She must have been bothered by either by biting insects or she is training to compete in a marathon swim race, :laugh:

After the 4th trip back she gathered her young one and disappeared into the forest not far from us.

While I was fishing I have a tap and hook another fish, a Pepaw Pike.

My buddy follows suit a short time later.

We then move onto the next spot, Mc.Bride Lake.

I was surprised to see how much water was in the lake. :o
It is nothing like it was last fall, the water was right up to the trees and there is hardly any shoreline left.
One angler said it had risen 2 feet in the last 4 days.

This small flock of mergansers enjoyed the main dock to rest and relax on.

I fish in that area until dark, but can't even get a nibble, most anglers report poor fishing for some time now. :-\

In conclusion it was another neat trip, the fishing may have been a bit slower for me, but the scenery made up for it, and at least I was not skunked. ;)

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #38 on: Jul 04, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Hi guys,

I hope everyone had a good Canada Day or 4 of July long weekend and were able to get some fishing done.  :)

I was able to go on July 2nd and my destination was Fishing Lake for a bit of shore fishin'.

I fished from 3:40pm until 9:10pm.

It was a nice afternoon with blue bird skies and hot temps, but that didn't discourage the fish at all.

Not even 5 min into the fishing and I hook the first fish of the day. ;D

Through out the day the fishing where hitting off and on the whole time keeping things intersting with a real peak near sunset.

A fishing buddy joined my for the last hour and a half, and they did well also.

The final tally was 6 pike and 9 walleye for me and for my buddy 5 pike and 6 walleye for a total of 26 fish for only a few hours and my buddy and I probably lost 6 - 7 more. :azn:

My partner and I only kept a few for the table, the rest went back to fight another day, including the biggest walleye of the day at roughly  2.3 - 2.5 lbs.
The biggest pike {not pictured} would be around the 4 - 4.5 lb mark.

Here are a few photos of the afternoon's catch.

In conclusion, it was another great fishing trip, and one I hope I can repeat next time out.

P.S - I would like to say Hi to walleyeslayer1978, nice meeting you on Canada Day and good to put a face to the name. ;)

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #39 on: Jul 11, 2011, 05:34 PM »
Hi all,

On Thursday July 7th I had my best day fishing this year. :flex:

My destination was Fishing Lake I was hoping that the fish were still active.

I started at 2:15pm and fished until 9:10pm only stopping for an hour around 5 for a bite to eat.

It was another hot and sunny day and with the temps and humid ex together it was +32 deg C / 89.6 F.

The water was quite algae filled and very smelly in the hot weather. :P
Half way through the day the wind changed and blew all the algae away and I again had fairly clear water.

The fishing was great even in the algae and I had fish on my 3rd cast and it continued off and on all afternoon with the walleye bite {as usual} peaking near sunset.

In the end I netted 16 pike & 11 walleye. ;D
I also lost 8 more and had a few short strikes and missed boil ups.

Here are the photos of the day but, there are many photos in this list.
None of them are of the same fish and I didn't get a photo of all the fish as my
camera ran out of power at the end, but warning it is very photo extensive as it is.

First big pike of the day.

For a while I saw pike busting small fish on the surface, so I though I would try a surface lure where the action was taking place.
After one missed boil up I hook into a pike, and I land my first fish on surface lures in quite some time. 8)

I get 3 more boil up on the lure but they do not connect with the lure, just behind it.

This is the second big pike of the afternoon, both were the same length and close to the same weight.

Slippery little walleye,lol, luckily I had the net to catch it. ::)

In the end I am very happy with my afternoon results and was glad to be able to land the 27 fish all by myself, with only 3 pike and a walleye staying with me.
All the rest went back to grow even bigger. ;)

The Pike were bit on the larger side than last time with an average weight of 2.5 - 4 lbs with the 2 big pike at 32" and around the 9-10 lb mark.
The walleye were averaging 1.5 - 2.5 lbs. I can see the walleye fish stockings are working well.

The other shore anglers report good fishing also all over the lake, it don't seem to matter where you fish, they are there.
I think they were feeding so hard in preparation for the upcoming storm that hit on July 8th.

I hope I can repeat or at least come close to these results next time I am there. :whistling:

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #40 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:03 AM »
Hi guys,

Here is the fishing report for my 3 day trip to Fishing Lake.

Day 1.

The first day was a quick fishing trip with only an hour and a half of shore fishing.

For some reason the fish were quite negative, but I managed 3 walleye for my efforts.

Day 2.

I had a bit of a late start due to some vehicle trouble. :-\
I got there a bit later than expected only to find the wind was blowing strong with large waves.

I did a bit of shore fishing for the late afternoon and evening despite the large waves and found the fishing had picked up from the day before and I landed 9 walleye and 6 pike.

Day 3. Walleye whackin'

I got to the lake earlier and this time with a boat.

It was great weather for the boat with calm waters and hot temps, the humidex was a toasty + 35 deg C / 95 F. :blink:

On day 3 all the fish caught were walleye - 17 of them.

I didn't take many photos of the action over the 3 days, but I did snap a few.

For me the shore fishing was good but, the boat fishing was even better.
Most folks were having good luck.

The pike were a bit smaller averaging 1 - 3 lbers.  The walleye averaged 1.5 lbs.
All the fish went back to fight another day.

The fish hit on Pelican spoons, in-line spinners, clackin' raps, Northland mimic minnows, single tail & double tail grubs in various bright colors.

During one of my breaks from fishing I was amused by the antics of the local sea gulls.

I would give them bits of my lunch and that's when competition really started,lol. ::)

The one gull tried to swallow the whole chunk of bread in one shot.

All in all it was a great 3 days of fishing for me with a total of 35 fish caught.
I hope to be out there again as soon as possible. ;D

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #41 on: Jul 26, 2011, 02:20 PM »
Hi all,

Here is my latest fishing report.

July 22nd  was dark and windy.  I launched the boat on the sheltered side of the lake.
I fished for a bit in the morning with 2 hours off at noon and then continued until 7:00pm.

The fishing was good, and I landed 2 pike and 26 walleye, by either anchoring on them or drifting with the wind through the schools.

The 2nd day - July 24th, was also cloudy and very windy.
I waited for an hour and a half for the lake to calm down but, it didn't so I though I would try my luck and see what bit in the pounding surf.

A few fish were biting despite the large waves and in the end I land 2 pike and 7 more walleye. 

One walleye was a good chunky fish.
It was 21.5" long and by the on-line calculations looks to be in the 3.5 - 3.9 lb range.

My largest walleye so far this season. :)

Over the 2 days I kept one walleye and 2 pike - all the rest went back to grow (even the larger walleye - to get bigger).

The 2 pike who stayed.

Most shore and boat anglers seem to have some luck.

I have been impressed with the fishing action of late and hope it continues. 8)

WW

anglerbrian

« Reply #42 on: Jul 26, 2011, 06:21 PM »
I agree W.W. the fishing in Sask has been awesome this summer and I have yet to hit a couple of my regular lakes.
I always enjoy your posts on Ice Shanty and am glad you carry it over to my fishfinder in the summer. I esp enjoy the pictures.
Makes a guy wish he didnt have to work for a living. Oh well  retirement is just a few years off for me., and by then my grandson will be ready
to take up this wonderful sport. 

Water Wolf

« Reply #43 on: Aug 02, 2011, 09:07 PM »
Hi all,

Here is my fishing report for this past 3 day long weekend.

Day 1, found my family and I headed down to Last Mountain Lake to try our luck at carp fishing for the 1st time ever.
I had all the rigs prepared ahead of time.  Now I just had to latch into one of the bruisers that the lake is known for.

We arrive at our destination to find most of the area flooded.  Not knowing where to look for carp, we just followed the paths that led us to where there were other anglers.
As we walk along a well beaten trail, we pass anglers with fish, some have pike, some have walleye and some have carp, so we must be in the right area.

We fish amongst the other anglers for most of the afternoon and into the evening with pike and walleye being caught all around us but not one person lands a
carp, although we could see a few big carp rolling in the water.

At the end of the day I do finally land my first carp, but its not quite what I was expecting.

A " microfiche", lol. w00t

I think all the splashing of lures from the other anglers fishing for pike and walleye may have put the carp off their feed. :P

Day 2 and another lake for my group to explore, this time the Barrier Lake area.

On the way there we spot the cow moose grazing in a canola field.

We also see a dead tree with these adult turkey vultures sitting in it.

I think the garbage dump was not too far from them.

We find that Barrier Lake is a bit too weed chocked around the shore line for proper shore fishing, so we opt to try the Barrier River for a short time until dark.
In that time my uncle got one nibble. I got 4 nibbles and finally land one smaller pike a short time before we leave.

Day 3 and I go back to my usual lake.
I fish from 3:45pm - 8:00pm.
In that time I land 6 of these guys.

And 5 of these guys.

This is the big fish of the 3 days and big pike so-far this summer. 8)

It was 12.13 lbs.

I only kept one pike during the 3 days.  Everyone else went back, including the big one, who will keep getting bigger. ;)

All in all it was a good 3 days, with lots of scenery and some willing fish. :)

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #44 on: Aug 09, 2011, 12:31 AM »
Hi all,

Here is my latest fishing report.

I though I would try shore fishing for the evening of Aug. 7th.  The weather was cool and very windy with a NW wind and large crashing waves.

Despite the nasty weather I fished from 6:30pm until 8:40pm.

Not surprisingly I saw no other anglers out on the water or off shore. :wacko:

The fishing has slowed alot from the last time I was there but I still did manage a few fish.

It took an hour before the first fish hit, followed by a brief flurry of activity and then total shutdown again.

In the end I did net 5 fish, 2 pike and 3 walleye. :)

The fish were hitting very light.  All I would feel is the lure get slightly heavier, or the opposite as the lure suddenly got a bit lighter as the fish swam towards me.

The big fish was a 4lb pike. I was going to take a photo of it but it flipped out of net before I could do so.

They all went back to swim another day.

All in all I was happy with my results despite the poor weather and shorter time to fish. :azn:

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.