FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Good Day on the Water  (Read 1608 times)

bogtrotter

Good Day on the Water
« on: Jun 02, 2019, 02:44 PM »
A little over a year ago, lowaccord (Jon) was kind enough to take to me fisihing on the Farmington.

Today, I finally got the chance to reciprocate, by showing Jon around the South Hoosic in my neck of the woods.

We fished from the center of Cheshire to the center of Adams between 9:30 AM and 2 PM.

The weather was favorable (partly sunny and temps in the low 70's) and the fishing exceeeded my expectations.

Together we caught 20+ trout - - most of them landed by Jon (who was using a 9' fly rod) - - mainly brookies and rainbows, with a few browns thrown in for variety.

The fish weren't huge, but generally respectable (about 12" long), with the big fish of the day probably being a 14" rainbow.

manitron

Re: Good Day on the Water
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2019, 04:17 PM »
Jim, it is kind of unfair to unleash Jon on those poor unsuspecting stockies. Sounds like you two had a great outing. Congrats.

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2019, 05:21 PM »
Jim, it is kind of unfair to unleash Jon on those poor unsuspecting stockies. Sounds like you two had a great outing. Congrats.

This made me laugh.

Sounds like a great day in the water for the OP! Thanks for the report.

bogtrotter

« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Postscript - - I kept one of the fish we caught (a nice 10" brookie that I acdidentally bled and was going to die anyway) and just cooked it for dinner on my fire pit.

So dinner was brook trout sauteed in olive oil, with a side dish of fried potatoes and pine nuts, a salad with freshly foraged greens, together with some saffron rice, and a glass of homemade wine (a dandelion and peach blend).

I think I'm in heaven. :D

bogtrotter

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2019, 05:41 PM »
It is kind of unfair to unleash Jon on those poor unsuspecting stockies.

Too true. 

What surprised me was not so much the numbers he caught, but the fact that, more than once, he managed to pull out 3 or 4 decent sized fish, one after another, from a run that I would have assumed only held one.

Definitely a fun day.

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2019, 10:11 PM »
Nice work guys. Sounds like a fun day.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2019, 11:35 PM »
Jim thanks a lot! I had reasonable expectations when we started.  Those were blown away.  You know your runs well! I had a great time even though I ran out of juice towards the end.  Judging from my ride home we skipped the rain too!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2019, 06:33 AM »
Nice work fellas.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2019, 08:25 AM »
A few pics:

westernmas

« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2019, 10:13 AM »
First brown might even be wild.  Pretty fish regardless.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

manitron

« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Browns seem to fare well in the Hoosic.  5 pounders are caught fairly regularly by  skilled anglers. Would not surprise me if that brown was wild.

westernmas

« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2019, 10:52 AM »
Browns seem to fare well in the Hoosic.  5 pounders are caught fairly regularly by  skilled anglers. Would not surprise me if that brown was wild.

Good to hear.  So many places to fish and such little time to fish them.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

zwiggles

« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2019, 11:47 AM »

It’s completely observational, but it seems like browns have the easiest time holding over and spawning of the “big three” (brookies browns and bows). In NH it seems like they find them pretty much everywhere they do a survey for wild brookies.

manitron

« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2019, 12:02 PM »
It’s completely observational, but it seems like browns have the easiest time holding over and spawning of the “big three” (brookies browns and bows). In NH it seems like they find them pretty much everywhere they do a survey for wild brookies.

I would agree that they tolerate change a little better and are able to adapt and thrive.I probably should have said "once in a while "instead of "fairly regularly" but I know of one former member of this site that has 2 trophy sized browns from the Hoosic to his credit in the last few years.

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2019, 03:37 PM »
You're getting my attention Manny!   :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.