FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dropper flies?  (Read 9012 times)

livin4ice

Re: Dropper flies?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2004, 08:16 PM »
As far as the Spey cast I have found a way to do it without a special rod.  The instructors will show you to put your left hand on the fighting butt of the spey rod and your right hand on or near the reel.  I have found that if you put your left hand on the reel and move your right hand up on the rod you can do the same thing.  Most times you see this, the fisherman is casting a heavy streamer, thus the stiff rod.  With what we throw around here I can do it with my 5 weight.  I like this as well as roll casting, especially when I am letting the fly drift a long way down stream.

I have to say this.....this is going to be an awesome site.  This is the first place I have found to post about fly fishing.

Cider

« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2004, 09:24 PM »
This spey cast looks interesting.  I have never really tried it before.  It looks like it should be fairly simple to do though.  Kind of like a hybrid roll cast and standard overhead cast.

Flyfisher

« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:49 PM »
I also fish dropper when they are taking emergers...in spring though when water temps are still cold...and the trout are sluggish and  hold to the bottom I use a very large dry as an indicator...and tie a dropper nymph maybe about 2ft or 3ft behind to get it closer to the bottom...to where the fish are.....and yes it is a little tricky to cast....but once your in the zone your good to go...........

flynuts2004

« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:33 AM »
(WOW) This is the meat of Fly Fishing, I have used dropper flies for a number of years and "YES" this style is very productive on all fish, and one of the best ways to catch panfish.

I like to use the Stimulator which it is a great imitator for hoppers, stoneflies, and caddis. These flies alone are Deadly with Bass and Bluegills. I have seen trout charge hard to this fly to make a quick meal... In the past I have tied my dropper rig from the bend, now I attach the tippet to a small loop that I install while tying these flies. It seems that I have had less tangles, when the tippet is coming straight of the butt.

Two of the best droppers are (My Opinion) Pheasant Tail Nymph, and the fairly new Beadhead WD-40.

Rick

Cider

« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2004, 10:45 AM »
Two of the best droppers are (My Opinion) Pheasant Tail Nymph, and the fairly new Beadhead WD-40.

Rick

Rick - I know the pheasant tail nymph.  Have several in my vest.  What is the beadhead WD-40 pattern?  Never heard of it before.  Can you post a picture?

Thanks!

Mike

flynuts2004

« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2004, 11:43 AM »

WD40

flynuts2004

« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2004, 11:49 AM »
Cider,

Sorry, I don't know why the pic I sent is not there. Go to www.ozarkanglers.com and check it out. Also it is listed in Cabelas.. I hope this helps... The WD-40 is very productive in my area of Indiana.

Rick

Bartman44

« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:13 PM »
In addition to using a dropper off of a dry fly, I use a two nymph set up quite often.   

My point fly is usually larger (e.g., stone fly) and I alternate the dropper fly by using a very small (the smallest) metal quick clip on about 2 inches of dropper tippet. The quick clip allows me to change the dropper fly quickly until I get the right fly on.

The trout don't seem to be bothered by the quick clip either. 

Bart

Waterweasel

• I hunt so I can tie flies, and eat the rest
« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2004, 08:41 AM »
Droppers YES SIR!
I almost always start my fishing with what is hatching, and a nymph or emerger set 12" from my first fly.  I also will double up dry flies when there is a multiple species hatch going on (caddis/sulphur or black caddis/elk hair caddis)  in the fall I will use a midge/black caddis or trico/black caddis...whatever I notice is on the stream.  Many times I will notice trout rising to duns in the current, and  sipping drown flies or emergers  in the slower water, so I double up both patterns (drys) and make a long drift.  Many times in the evening, I will have a rusty spinner/parachute pattern on when it gets dark, since sometimes they will hit a parachute thinking its a spinner, or they will sip the spinner undetected....in the failing light it makes it easier to detect. In general I always double my flies..............sucks in the wind though!!!
You will never catch the hatch, if you are not there.

Trevor

« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2004, 09:21 PM »
Hey guys, just thought I could make a suggestion for rigging your droppers that will result in less tangles.  I know there are several ways, but I mainly stick to two.  When stream fishing I usually drop a #16 beadhead nymph 24" below a #12 or #14 dry.  I attach the dropper tippet directly to the eye of the dry.  When lake fishing I usually drop a chironimid 24" below a bugger or marabou muddler.  In this situation I attach the dropper tippet directly to the bend of the hook on the lead fly with an improved clinch knot.  This one is especially good for avoiding tangles...I usually use this setup as a searching method on lakes.   Also, I've never found it to make a difference but some anglers prefer to use the smaller fly as the lead fly.  The idea is that it will appear natural to the trout as it resembles something pursueing it's prey.  Once I figure out what the trout are keyed to I clip off the dropper...

I appologize for the poor photo quality.  My camera does terrible closeups

Trevor

Cider

« Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2004, 09:36 PM »
Trevor is that a clinch knot you are using to tie to the marabou muddler?  Thanks for the info.  That looks like a great set-up.

Trevor

« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2004, 10:37 PM »
Yeah, pretty tough to see it.  It's actually an improved clinch knot.  The trilene knot works well in this application too.

Trevor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.