FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: new to flyfishing  (Read 9677 times)

daffydone

new to flyfishing
« on: Mar 10, 2004, 03:59 PM »
hey guy's, I am new to the world of flyfishing, My brother in law gave me his old rod and reel, which was very nice of him, anyway, I don't have the foggiest idea as how to get started, I know nothing about what type of lines there are or what type of leader to use, I will probably be fishing for crappies and bass, and maybe some walleyes. I don't own any flies or other fly tackle.   I would love to try this part of the sport, so any help would be greatly appreciated. 8)

Cider

Re: new to flyfishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2004, 04:06 PM »
Welcome aboard!

You will find that this is an amazing way to catch fish.  There is a true science to this.  You will learn basic fish biology and how they behave in their native habitats and you will learn a whole lot about entymology.  You will also learn how to read water to predict where fish will be.

The greatest thing is all the gadgets and gear, not to mention taking up the sport of fly tying.  Thread, yarn, feathers, etc will take on a whole new meaning!

I would recommend picking up a couple of basic books.  Orvis and LL Bean have some excellent beginners guides.

Read through the posts here and ask a lot of questions!  Don't be afraid to jump in anytime...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2004, 07:30 PM »
Daffydone,
I'd suggest targeting some bluegills at a local pond to start. They're very willing, and suceptable to all types of fly patterns.

You can learn a variety of casting techniques with ease. Especially if the pond is without trees and other obstructions.
You'll learn to handle these by necessity.

Poppers and rubber spiders work well and are readily available .

What is the flyrod you were given? What line weight is it made for and how long is it? The information should be marked on the butt section of the rod somewhere.

What reel is with it?

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

livin4ice

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2004, 08:49 PM »
My biggest suggestion would be don't be afraid to ask questions.  When I started I felt intimidated by the other more experienced fisherman.  After a while I found that they ALL love to talk about fishing and are more than willing to help out.  By then I had developed a LOT of bad habits. I agree with Daffydone that you should start on some ponds.  You don't have an audience and any mistakes (and there will be a lot) are your secret.  I would suggest getting video's to learn casting techniques since most people learn by seeing.  I personally think it is much harder to learn it from a book (but thats just me).

Anyway, welcome to the club and good luck.

Cider

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2004, 09:14 PM »
I personally think it is much harder to learn it from a book (but thats just me).

I am afraid that I wasn't clear enough.  I didn't really mean for you to learn the art of flyfishing from a book.  That is probably next to the impossible.

Daffydone's original post indicated that he didn't know anything at all about flyfishing methods, techniques, and equipment.

I should have been more specific to say pick up a basic introductory book to learn about the basics such as types of lines, leaders, tippets, flies, rods, reels, etc.

Once you have an understanding about the basic equipment involved, then ask the experienced anglers all the questions you want to.  It will be easier for you to ask the important questions and understand the answers you receive.  But don't be afraid to ask questions during any point in your flyfishing education!  Books won't teach you everything you need to know.

Remember, the only stupid question is the one not asked...

livin4ice

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2004, 09:29 PM »
I totaly agree with you Cider, I only meant for casting.

Cider

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2004, 09:33 PM »
My grandfather taught me to cast in his lower forty with a bit of yarn on the end of the leader to keep it from snapping off and a newspaper tucked under my arm to learn control.  He would put out paper plates and other objects for me to target with my yarn fly!

I must have cast for hours and hours and hours and hours before ever seeing water!  It was a good way to start.

Cider

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2004, 11:51 AM »
Daffy -  There is a lot to flyfishing.  I have been thinking about what you will need to get you started in this endeavor.  Sounds like you already have a rod/reel.  Presumably it has line on it?  If not, I included it in the list.

Here is what you will need to get right away:

Waders (cabela's dry plus breathable is a good inexpesive introductory pair)
Hodgman bantam felt sole boots
Short wading vest (make sure you can fit warm fleece type sweater under it)
Wading style rain jacket
Landing net
Creel (optional)
Spare spools for your reel
Lines matched to your reel and rod weight (I use weight forward floating and weight forward sinking on separate spools to switch out - you can also use sink tips if can't afford the extra spool and line)
Leaders (4x, 5x, 6x, 8x in 9-12' length)
Spools of tippet material (4-8X)
Flyfisherman's nippers with needle
Hemostats
Ketcham hook remover to practice safe catch & release
Stream thermometer
Cord zingers to hold gadgets on vest
Flip focal magnifiers (for tying on size 24 flies to 8X tippet)
Good pair of polarized shades
Minnetonka fold up hat with wide brim
Insect repellant
Sunscreen
Fly storage boxes with foam so you don't dump your collection of flies downstream
Gherke's Gink dry fly dressing
Gherke's Xink wet fly dressing
Assortment of thousands of flies (streamers, nymphs, wets, dries, attractors, terrestrials)

Additional neccessary gear:

To tie your flies:

Fly tying vise (c-clamp or pedestal.  preferably pedestal)
Various tools (bodkin, hackle pliers, hair stackers, whip finisher, ceramic bobbins, assortment of sharp scissors)
Assortment of threads
Head cement and lacquers
Ott lamp to provide natural light to tie with
Fly tying bench
Fly tying material

To get your tying material:

12 ga. 3" chamber o/u shotgun
Upland and waterfowl hunting clothing
Brace of pointing dogs
Brace of retrievers
Decoys
Duck boat
Turkey shotgun (12 or 10 ga 3 1/2" magnum)
Good centerfire rifle (.270 or .30-06) to get deer and elk hair

To train dogs to find birds:

Checkcords
Bells, whistles
Remote training collars
Bird launchers, cages etc.

To train hunter to hit birds:

Rod & Gun club membership
Clay pigeon launcher
Clay pigeons
Couple hundred cases of shells

Re-loading equipment for shotshell and centerfire to save money on the cost of ammunition.

Rod building material and equipment so that when you figure out there is no such thing as a universal flyrod you can start making them to fit all your fishing situations.

Finally, a second mortgage and an addition on the house to keep all this stuff in and a dog kennel out back for you and the birddogs when your wife loses patience...

Hope this helps!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

livin4ice

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2004, 01:10 PM »
Cider, I printed out your list and gave it to my wife....somehow she doesn't believe I should have ALL that.  LOL

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2004, 01:59 PM »
Livin4ice,
There you go...you made the first (and worst) mistake a flyfisher can make.  You went and told your wife what you need to support your new hobbie.

The Freedom Of Information Act does not apply to a person's sporting equipment.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

flynuts2004

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2004, 05:23 PM »
I like to hear someone that wants to join this sport. Start out small and work your way up. Ask alot of questions and try it.

daffydone

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:52 AM »
well guys, all I have to say is (WOW!) that is alot of stuff! I didn't know I was going to have to give up my first born to try this part of fishing. I guess the wife will have to sleep outside so I can store all this stuff!J/K. anywhew, I like that idea about using the yarn and newspaper, I think I will start off with that and go from there. thanks Cider, and all of you for the info! now, if I could just stop fishing long enough to teach myself how to flyfish.             P.S. I won't tell the wife about my new fly fishing fund!

flynuts2004

« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:58 AM »
daffydone

This is a great sport, as in your first born you will get by. I started out small and now have a number of rods. All my children have moved out and my wife has gave me one of the rooms to take over. "YES" I did ask for permission to call it the MAN'S room, which she did.  ;D

Good Luck,
Rick

Cider

« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2004, 02:10 PM »
Daffy - an important concept to keep in mind during your fly fishing education is BALANCE.  Fly fishing is all about balance.  If you think about the physics of casting, in spin/bait casting it is the weight of the lure or bait that allows the forward momentum to carry the bait to the intended target.

In fly fishing this is completely opposite.  Think about the weight of the flies we use, they weigh very little.  In this case, it is the weight of the line combined with the kinetic energy from the rod that give the bait (fly) the momentum to move towards your target.  When fly casting you need the rod to do most of the work to make the weight of the line carry your fly across the water.  Flyrods are similar to arrows in archery.  Think about the spline of an arrow as it flexes downrange after leaving the bow.  You really want to flex the tip of your rod when casting.  This is called "loading the rod".

Having said that, it is important to match your equipment as best as you can.  Most rods are designed to handle two different weight lines.  Some of your more expensive or custom rods are designed for one specific weight line.  If you look at the butt cap or the butt section of the rod near the grip, you will find that information.

So let's say you have a 5 weight rod.  Line weight is ranked from lightest (1) to heaviest (15).  You should use a reel that is designed for 5 weight line for this rod.  The leader should have a butt diameter of 0.020"-0.022".

You also want to match the size of your fly (hook) to the tippet diameter for the appropriate balance.  Most average stream fishing is done with flies tied on hooks between 10-18.  A 4X leader will match up nicely with this range.  Here is where it is a little backwards though.  The larger the number of the leader, the smaller the fly you should use and the smaller the tippet section of the leader is.

You also want to consider the type of fishing that you will be doing most when picking out an outfit.  For most cases of stream fishing a 3-5 weight is a good range.  Steelhead you will want 8 or 9 weight.  Bass fishing 6-7 weight.  Saltwater fishing calls for the heavy lines 10 and up.  Generally, the larger more aggressive the fish, the heavier the line you should use.  Length of the rod is important for casting accuracy and power during the cast to get the most distance out of your cast.  In general choose one around 9' long.  I use a 9' 6 weight rod for big water and a 7 1/2' 4 weight rod for small streams with lots of obstacles.

Cider

« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2004, 02:21 PM »
A little more information - line types

There are five basic types of line taper:

Weight forward - this is the best choice for a beginner and the most popular.  The first 30 feet or so of this line is the heaviest and the rest is tapered down to a thin running line.  That first 30 feet does all the work.

Double taper - usually used by more seasond flyfishers for delicate fly presentations on slow moving water.  The belly or fattest/heaviest portion of the line is in the middle and it tapers down on each end.

Shooting taper - similar to weight forward where the front section is the heaviest but it is much more stout and shorter.  This is good for casting into the wind or on fast moving water.  You can get the most casting distance with this line.

Level taper - as the name suggests, this line is uniform in diameter and is the least expensive of them all but the most difficult to cast.  Usually used for fishing live bait.

Bass bug taper - very similar to weight forward line but the front section isn't as long and allows casting of heavier bass poppers.

There are four types of line density which governs its bouyancy or how fast the line will sink: floating, sinking, intermediate, and a combination called floating/sinking.

I have two lines for each of my outfits.  I use weight forward; one floating and one sinking.

Something to consider when selecting leaders:  the longer the leader, the less accurate your cast will be.  The shorter your leader the more likely you will be to spook fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.