FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: new to flyfishing  (Read 9679 times)

Cider

Re: new to flyfishing
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2004, 02:28 PM »
well guys, all I have to say is (WOW!) that is alot of stuff! I didn't know I was going to have to give up my first born to try this part of fishing. I guess the wife will have to sleep outside so I can store all this stuff!J/K.

You absolutely don't need to acquire everything on that list to get started.  All you really need is a hanful of flys a balanced rod/reel/line and a few leaders and tippet material.

Start out small and add the stuff as you learn about it and find that you have a need for it.  Part of the fun of fly fishing is adding the gadgets to your arsenal throughout the years.  Note, I said years!  ;D

Cider

« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2004, 03:49 PM »
One more thing and then I'll shut up so others can answer...

When learning how to cast, remember it is all in the timing.  Don't rush the backcast.  Let that loop form and pause, then bring it forward.  If you don't hesitate slightly you will snap off a lot of flies.

Remember 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock.  Forward stroke of the cast stop the rod tip at 10 o'clock.  Back cast stop the rod tip at 2 o'clock.

Keep a firm grip and a stiff wrist when casting.  Don't flex!

Remember these three things and you will be off to a great start!  ;D

Flyfisher

« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2004, 04:36 PM »
I have been flyfishing for 5 yrs now..little by little I learning the tricks of the trade....but I have one problem as of now....over the yrs I have had the tendancy to walk in my local fly shops and ask for them to pick me out some flies of choice, whether it be dry, nymph, emergers etc....and I put them in my box and off I go......My problem now is that I have 2 fly boxes full of flies and I have no idea what they are!  I have 3 fly books (Art Flick's, Orvis etc.) but they really don't show pics of the tied flys so I can compare to what I have in my box....Any ideas of what book out there will help me solve this problem and be more knowledgable when I walk into the fly shop..???  Please help.....

Cider

« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2004, 04:43 PM »
Flyfisher - best advice go online and look at Cabela's, Dan Bailey's, LL Bean, Orvis.  They have all their patterns on their on-line catalogs.

Repetition!  The more you use them the more you will become familiar with them.  Art Flick's Streamside Guide and Orvis Streamside Guide To Trout Foods and Their Imitations are two excellent guides for matching fly patterns to naturals.

You could also get subscriptions to Fly Fisherman or Fly Fishing and Tying Journal.

flynuts2004

« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2004, 08:11 PM »
flyfisher - I agree on what Cider stated in his last post {Repetition} is the key. Don't let anyone fool you, we all went threw this stage.... Ask questions and find the right patterns that are productive in your area.

Rick

Flyfisher

« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:02 PM »
Thanks...after the last post I went and bought Orvis's Fly Tying Guide...the index has all close  up pics of all the flys...98% of what is in my boxes are Orvis..I have a shop down the road from me....I do know a few by name from using them over and over.....so I see what you mean..

crappieloo

« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2004, 06:35 AM »
Daffydone, im in the same boat (no pun) as you, and glad you posted the question. Im fly-shy :-[ Dont know anything, but allways wanted to try. I dont want to spend a fortune, but dont want junk equip. either. The only thing i know about fly roddin is i have a 8# cheap k-mart rod rigged with a mitchell 300 and 6# mono i use for eggin steelheads in the creeks. This rod is total junk and can be used only for this purpose.
I would be fly fishing for the smae fish as daffydone. Do i have to buy a 4#? rod for crappie, a 5# for smallys and a 7 or 8# set up for walleyes?
Are wet flys easier to use than dry flys?Can i use a small bare hook tipped with a spike?
Thanks
crappieloo

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2004, 03:26 PM »
Lou,
Stay middle of the road to start...a 5 wt, 8 1/2' is a good start. Put a Martin or Pfleuger reel on it and a Cortland 444 WF5F, weight forward line on it , a good tapered leader and you're good to go.

I suppose you could say that streamers and nymphs are somewhat easier to fish than dries.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

daffydone

« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2004, 07:31 PM »
to Cider and all who posted, thanks for the info that will help me out alot!I will be asking more questions as time goes on, I just wanted to let you know that the rod I have is a  Martin and the reel is a Martin 61, the rod is an 8 ft. and the line weight is 6/7 is this a good rod for what I need? and how could I determin what size line is on the rod?

Cider

« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2004, 09:22 PM »
Daffy - sure, that rod sounds fine to get you going.  As far as determining what you have for line...  Take the spool off the reel and look at the back of it.

All fly line comes with a set of adhesive labels that indicate what the line is.  They are meant to go on the back side of the spool so that you can keep multiple spools for one reel with various types of line.  If there isn't a label, it could be kind of tough.  Check with the person who gave you the rod.

Check that line over pretty carefully.  When they get older or heavily used, the protective/outer coating will begin to crack and deteriorate.  If that is happening, then it would be best just to replace it.  I would try cleaning it by getting a fly line dressing kit and wipe the whole length of it down before you decide to pitch it.  You should also keep it clean throughout the season.  They get pretty dirty and won't shoot through the guides as well as a clean line does.

If you are uncertain, just spend the $20 on a new line and have your fly shop load it for you with backing.  Cortland 444 is a good line.  Get a WF6F line for your rod.  That is a good one to start out with.  It will serve you for several types of fishing.

You could put the line on yourself, but it turns out much better when it is put on with a line winder.  The shop should also ask you if you want it set up for right or left hand retrieve.  Makes a difference as to how the line is wrapped on the spool.

Once you get set up with a good line, be sure to put that label on the spool.  Another trick you can use is to take a sharpie and put a series of ticks on the end of the line to tell you what type and weight it is.

lovetofish

« Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2004, 08:34 AM »
I'm newbee too..  Bought a cheap wal-mart rod this weakend and want to try it.  Great info and I'll start with the pond or the lake up to camp.  I have a feeling that I maybe  starting something I love.  I'm sure givin some time I'll up grade and up grade and up grade.  But for now I hope I'll be OK.  Great Info Guys!  Much Help!

Cider

« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2004, 09:06 AM »
I have a feeling that I maybe  starting something I love.

It's an addiction.  Most people who just think about it are still safe.  You made the mistake of purchasing your first rod.  I'm afraid that there is no turning back for you now!!   ;D

Thor

« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2004, 12:52 PM »
Daffydone,

In order to determine what size line is on your reel, you will need to weigh it.  The following AFTM scale is pretty much universally accepted in determining line weights.  The weights apply to the first thirty feet of line, excluding the level tip.  If you don't have an accurate scale, you may be out of luck.

The +/- Numbers are the allowed tolerances.

In grains  In grams  In ounces

3   100 +/- 6    6.48    0.228
 4   120 +/- 6    7.78    0.274
 5   140 +/- 6    9.07    0.32
 6   160 +/- 8    10.42    0.366
 7   185 +/- 8    11.99    0.422
 8   210 +/- 8    13.61    0.48
 9   240 +/- 10    15.55    0.55
10   280 +/- 10    18.14    0.64
11   330 +/- 12    21.38    0.75
12   380 +/- 12    24.62    0.86

Cider

« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2004, 03:25 PM »
Daffydone,

In order to determine what size line is on your reel, you will need to weigh it. 

Thor - I had thought about suggesting that too.  This is a pretty accurate method for determining what weight your line is if you are reasonably sure that the entire line is intact.  If any of the tip or body of the line is missing, then it could make things difficult.  Sometimes lines can get snapped off, or damaged when people change leaders because they unknowingly cut off too much and affect the taper of the line.  This is one reason why I like to use braided loop connectors with shrink tubing instead of nail knots.  And of course, as you already mentioned, having a decent set of scales is important or you could get a false reading and think you have figured it out when you may be mislead.

rrich

« Reply #29 on: Mar 17, 2004, 10:26 PM »
Go to the fly fishing shop that is in your location that has been there to assist you and all the guys that know the sport. These guys will help you and may charge you a bit more then the general stores BUT they are the guys that are there for the love of the sport. You will  not regret it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.