FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anyone Else Get Funny Looks  (Read 6092 times)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Anyone Else Get Funny Looks
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2005, 02:07 PM »
no funny looks around here, its seems everyone fly fishes...but i've still not seen anyone targeting carp with flies...even though its fairly easy and so much fun!

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2005, 03:53 PM »
Never heard of anyone catching catfish on flies, that's pretty awesome TFB! I rarely get any funny looks when i start fly fishing around other people cuz fly fishing is real common up here. There are 3 exeptions where i do get funny looks.

1. When i am fishing for reds and trying to get them to bite instead of snagging them. When i start getting reds to hit my super secret flies using unconventional drifting techniques those funny looks turn to confusion and then anger. I get so pumped when i am getting reds to bite and everyone is trying to snag sometimes to no avail. Sometimes i grin and say "who says reds don't bite" ;D

2. When the fishing is real tough and all the lure fisherman who haven't caught anything are watching me fillet my limit of fish.

3. When i fly fish for halibut, some big halibut move into 20 to 30 feet of water to feed on pink salmon.
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

cnyfishing

« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2005, 07:28 PM »
Ive had plenty of funny looks, especially on the salmon river when I'm doing traditional fly casting while everyone else is doin chuck-N-duck.
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2005, 03:59 PM »

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

saltyshores

« Reply #19 on: Apr 03, 2005, 03:27 PM »
My wife and I had some funny looks from the local game warden several years ago while fishing a small brook trout pond in Maine. The ice had only been out for a few days and all the shore anglers were fishing unsuccessfully with worms. We were 100 feet offshore in a canoe fly casting a bright size 10 attractor fly and caught and released 46 trout between the two of us. The warden hollered out to us, "What fly are you using to catch all those trout?" I replied, "it's called a Leon's Special, originated by Leon Cyr of Madawaska, but it's not a fly many people know about -- we'll stop by your house on the way home and leave you one of them." He appreciated getting a fly that, for that day at least, worked better than worms! ::)

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #20 on: Apr 20, 2005, 10:16 AM »
Most fly fishermen understand the flow of water and how to get the right presentation.
Been steelhead fishing off lake Erie tribs and landed fish, while drift fishermen were doing poorly, ya get the looks.
Tying flies and sharing I agree ya gotta be proud of the stuff ya tie. Fished Burt dam several years ago and the salmon were in thick and there were some hogs 20lbs tackle busters. I changed up flies to a mylar body, maroon cape type streamer. It had lead wrapped in it for weight, I was getting fish also every cast. I use 12 tapered leaders and was fighting fish in the chaos know as the shoreline. Guys were PO because I was fighting um and not winching em in. After hitting about 8 or so one guy across the stream stated I was snagging um. A young fishermen began to net our fish because he had never seen a big salmon.
The kid kept telling the guys another hook in the mouth.
Even among the fly guys, I was upset that some had thought that while they were fishing across the same small stream.
P.S. I like to float fish and the water was stained and slightly high, not even able to see the fish.
Funny looks into funny comments.
Internet heros give it a rest!

PGKris

« Reply #21 on: Apr 20, 2005, 12:52 PM »
20lbs tackle busters.

What!? You gotta come to BC......20 pounds is little

Sailing team

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2005, 08:09 PM »
I also Use FLys for ICe fishing. Seems the SUnfish like them and SO do Big perch...Iv'e alsoi caught a Few ROckbass thru the ICe with FLies and Untill THis year my biggest perch was on a FLy i tied:> But you get the strangest looks i tell ya:>
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

PGKris

« Reply #23 on: Apr 25, 2005, 12:16 PM »
I use flies thru the ice too.....but don't tell anyone....it's a secret shhhh

Sailing team

cnyfishing

« Reply #24 on: Apr 25, 2005, 02:43 PM »
I use flies thru the ice too.....but don't tell anyone....it's a secret shhhh
same here but keep it quiet
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #25 on: Apr 30, 2005, 06:41 PM »
i have felt the same way. and then they dont like ie anymore when u outfish them.
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.