FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly Fishing Essential Gear Lists  (Read 5504 times)

Cider

Fly Fishing Essential Gear Lists
« on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:13 AM »
I thought this topic could be useful for people who are new to fly fishing and are unsure of what gear they will need to outfit themselves for the sport.

Please post your lists of essential gadgets, tools, and equipment that you take with you on a fly fishing outing.  I will continue to add to my list as the season progresses.

Let's hold our comments on everybody's equipment lists/posts for a separate thread so that people don't have to sort through all of that to get to the information posted here.

Cider

Re: Fly Fishing Essential Gear Lists
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:15 AM »
Here is what you will need to get started:

Clothing:

Fleece wader pants for warmth under the waders
Hodgman bantam felt sole boots
Insect repellant
Minnetonka leather fold up hat with wide brim
Neoprene waders for colder weather
Polarized sunglasses with keeper cord
Short wading vest (make sure you can fit a warm fleece type sweater under it)
Sunscreen
Waders (cabela's dry plus breathable is a good inexpesive introductory pair)
Wading style rain jacket

Gadgets & Tools:

Cord zingers to hold gadgets on vest
Creel (optional)
Flip focal magnifiers (for tying on size 24 flies to 8X tippet)
Flyfisherman's nippers with needle
Folstaff wading staff (optional)
Hemostats
Ketchum hook remover (to practice safe catch & release)
Landing net (preferably designed for catch & release)
Magnetic landing net retriever
Preacher (for dispatching fish you intend to keep)
Stream thermometer

Flies:

Assortment of flies, various sizes (streamers, nymphs, wets, dries, emergers, caddisflys, midges, attractors, terrestrials)
Fly storage boxes with foam inserts so you don't dump your flies downstream
Gherke's Gink dry fly dressing
Gherke's Xink wet fly dressing
Split-shot for fly fishing (I rarely use as most of my nymphs are weighted)
Strike indicators for fishing nymphs and wet flies

Rod & Reel:

Flyline backing
Flyline dressing/cleaning pad
Leader wallet
Leaders (4x, 5x, 6x, 8x in 9-12' length)
Lines matched to reel & rod weight (I use weight forward floating & weight forward sinking)
Sink tips (for use on floating lines)
Spare spools for your reel
Spools of tippet material (4-8X)

Cider

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:23 AM »
A brief explanation on the use of and need for a preacher:

A preacher is a small wooden club with a heavy brass weight on the end.

I take one along with me when I intend to keep trout (fish) for eating.  The more a fish struggles in your creel it builds up increased levels of lactic acid in the muscle (flesh) which will adversly affect the flavor of the fish.  I like my trout to be as fresh tasting as possible when prepared for table fare.

They are simple to use.  Just grasp the preacher in your dominant hand and hold the trout in the other hand with its back up.  Simply rap the fish directly on top of the head.  This blow will dispatch the fish instantly and you can safely put it on a bed of fresh damp grass in your creel to save it for dinner!

Thor

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:43 AM »
I'm going to add to the list a piece of homemade gear that I really think is useful.  To the best of my knowledge, it was "invented" years ago by one of my dad's friends.

It's two alligator clips that are connected by a short piece of bead chain or string.  For those of you that visit the dentist, the chain and clips they wrap around your neck to hold their "bib" in place works well, as long as the chain is shortened to about 3 or 4 inches between the clips.  Also, placing a piece of shrink tube over at least one of the clips protects your tippet.

Attach the two clips to the front of your vest.  I clip them to the edge of the vest right above the zipper.  Then, when you need to change a fly or add a piece of tippet, etc., remove the clip with the shrink tube and squeeze your tippet in there.  This frees up both of your hands, while you still are able to control the end of your tippet.  No more flailing your arms and hands in the wind trying to grab the end of your leader.

flynuts2004

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2004, 10:04 AM »
Great Idea from Thor I will try it out. Thanks Thor

Rick

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2004, 05:53 AM »
Thor, I love an idea that works.

I made an addition to my fly vest many vears ago to improve the rod holder.

I sewed a pocket to my vest about 5" x 7" that's big enough to drop the rod handle and reel into. It's held up in place with a velcro tab and drops down below my belt line in use.  I then improved the rod holder tab on my vest by making it larger and adding velcro.

When I  change flies or tippits I set the handle and reel in the pocket on my right side, put the tab around the rod and line and my hands are free to do whatever with the end of the leader/tippet at chest level.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:54 PM »
Cider you forgot to add the following essential items;

Credit Card
Understanding Spouse
Basement(for storing your stuff)
Convertable sofa in the basement (For when your spouse is less than understanding)
Garage(for when the basement is full)
Dog ( for companionship when your spouse is less than understanding)
Dog House( for when your spouse is less than understanding and the basement  and  garage are full of your stuff)
2 story house addition ( more room for stuff)
Van with trailer to haul your stuff
Psyco-therapist
TIME
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Cider

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2004, 10:16 PM »
Cider you forgot to add the following essential items;

Psyco-therapist

Hey RG - who is the therapist for the fishermen, the wife, or the dog!?!?!  ;D  ;D  ;D  :P

crappieloo

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:19 PM »
Hmmmmm,the IFA therapy was at the Bayside. Wheres the FFA therapy meeting going to be RG?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2004, 08:02 AM »
Cider,
I am the self-appointed  President of Ice Fishers Anonymous. 
(no elections, I just  took the position unopposed)

We meet on an irregular basis at a "therapy clinic"  on Irondequoit Bay in Rochester. The organization is for the benefit of ice fishing addicts. We get out of our, more or less understanding, spouse's hair for an occasional evening of "therapy", beverages and chicken wings thereby improving our general demeaner. (doesn't do much for our spouse's)

I wouldn't be so presumptious as to elect myself to another such office. I can however act as therapist to those suffering from flyfishing addiction.

As with ice fishing, where ice jigs are a preferred payment method, I will accept secret fly patterns as adequate compensation for services rendered.

SEND ME YOUR FLIES...I CAN HELP YOU! ;D

RG

Cider

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2004, 11:01 AM »
Cider,
I am the self-appointed  President of Ice Fishers Anonymous. 
(no elections, I just  took the position unopposed)

I wouldn't be so presumptious as to elect myself to another such office. I can however act as therapist to those suffering from flyfishing addiction.

As with ice fishing, where ice jigs are a preferred payment method, I will accept secret fly patterns as adequate compensation for services rendered.

SEND ME YOUR FLIES...I CAN HELP YOU! ;D

RG

RG - well let me be the first to make a motion to nominate you as official therapist for us fly fishermen with fragile egos!

Does the quality and/or productivity of the fly affect the amount and quality of phsyciatric advice???

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2004, 06:55 PM »
No , I'll feed you all the b.....I mean... :-[

I'll provide all the therapy you require for modest  contribution.
RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.