FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly fishing trip to Alberta  (Read 3089 times)

Cider

Fly fishing trip to Alberta
« on: Mar 16, 2004, 06:18 PM »
I put this post in the Alberta thread, but thought I might get some other replies here too...

Looking for some information!

My wife and I are planning a trip to Alberta some time late summer or early fall.  She has relatives that live in Red Deer, Wetaskwin, Bitern Lake, Calgary, Camrose and many others.  We will probably be staying in Wetaskwin the majority of the time we are there.

I am an avid fly fisherman and spin cast fisherman looking for information on fishing Alberta's rivers and streams for trophy trout.  I have heard that the fishing is excellent and that your waters offer many species of trout in trophy sizes.  I am particularly intersted in cut throats because we don't have them around here.

I am most interested in day trips that are accessible within an hour or so drive.  We are considering the possibility of renting a car and traveling a bit further for a day or two to stay overnight near some excellent fishing.

I have the necessary equipment: waders, rods, vest, pontoon float tube, etc.  I just don't know the area as I have never been!  The only water I know of is Bow River in Calgary from reading one of vancouvercanuck's posts and saw pics of bows he caught there.

We will be flying in and most likely renting a car when we get there.

Any information on where to fish, if guides are necessary, getting licenses, local fly shops, details on getting fishing gear through customs and into the country would be a huge help to me!  I am worried that since 9-11-02 it might be tricky getting across the border with fishing gear?!?

When is the best time to catch trout during your season out there?  Is late summer or early fall (August/September) a good time to fish your rivers and streams?

Thank you for your help and advice!

Trevor

Re: Fly fishing trip to Alberta
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2004, 09:12 PM »
Cider, I live only an hour or so from wetaskwin.  Perhaps we could hook up and hit a few of my spots...

Trevor

Cider

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2004, 10:14 PM »
Cider, I live only an hour or so from wetaskwin.  Perhaps we could hook up and hit a few of my spots...

Trevor

I'm interested!  That would be a lot of fun.  I am still in an information gathering phase right now.  We only started talking about this trip a day or two ago. 

We put a call in to my wife's relatives to find out when the best time would be for them to have us for a visit.  They run a farm and it is important to schedule around the harvest which is their busiest time.  Besides, I am going to fish not to help with the chores!!  ;D

Let's keep in touch througout the spring and summer and see if we can put a fishing trip together.  Send me a PM with details of what town you live in etc.  I am curious to see if you know any of the same folks in my wife's family up there!

Mike

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2004, 08:45 PM »
Hehehe I love that ..GOing to fish not help with the chores! Its funny when i visit my Father in-law coming into september Im up early to go fishing and he Says ohh your up early eh ..I guess were going to go get the wood for the winter....Grrrrrrr...Im up to fish not to do chores! LOL Tight lines! And good luck on that trip souds like it would be fun..Does your wife fly fish as well?
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

Cider

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2004, 09:50 PM »
No, she wants to learn but doesn't really have the time.  She loves to fish; don't get me wrong.  I just think she likes the idea of fly fishing more than the actual act of fly fishing.  Her real hobby is quilting.  That controls her thoughts the way fishing does ours.  She is a casual fishermen and gets enough enjoyment out of tagging along with me and watching me fish.  Usually brings the camera along for some "action" photos!  8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.