FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Advice and Topics for Boy Scouts Work-Shop  (Read 3034 times)

flynuts2004

Advice and Topics for Boy Scouts Work-Shop
« on: Mar 21, 2004, 12:12 PM »
Here in my area I was asked to give a work-shop on Fly Fishing to our local Boy Scout Chapter. I need your help and some ideas for this work shop. This would be a very basic Class. I spoke with my fishing buddy Livin4ice and he came up with some good ideas. I hope I can get some good feedback from you all. I have been out of the Boy Scouts for over 30 years... LOL... "WOW" it seems like it was yesterday..

I have a feeling someone out there has already done this, and maybe give me some ideas... Thank You...

Rick

tommyboy

Re: Advice and Topics for Boy Scouts Work-Shop
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2004, 08:23 PM »
flynuts,

What kind of workshop are you going to give?  A casting workshop?  Fly tying? Something about "matching the hatch" or something else about the aquatic insect we imitate?  A basic "this is what flyfishing is all about" kind of demo?  I've never done anything with the scouts, but we may be able to give some more feedback if you tell us what you already have in mind.

Tom
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2004, 05:03 AM »
Flynuts,
Where will the workshop be?

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2004, 05:33 AM »
I see you're in Wabash so I can't come help you in person.

My experiance comes from being a hunter education instructor.

First ....do a lesson plan. Don't try to ad lib the whole thing. Get some 3x5 cards and make some simple notes for each segment of the plan. Be sure to note the amount of time you want (& have) to spend on the subject and stick to it as much as possible . Don't rush...

Try to touch on  a bit of history and the basic differences from other kinds of fishing  in your introduction.

Explain the equipment, bring your own stuff the way you use it...wear your vest ...dress as you are about to wade into the stream. You'll be comfortable that way.

Give the kids a lot of time to ask their questions.

Explain the cast using a scout for a helper...put the rod in his hand and show him
 how to use it.

Show them how to tie a simple fly or 2...kids love to build things.

KEEP IT SIMPLE

Try to get your hands on some flyrod setups to let them all try it. Tie a piece of cloth on the end of the leader to imitate a fly.

I don't know the venue but if you're outdoors at a wide open pond with some bluegills in it...throw on a rubber spider and give them a go.

HAVE FUN WITH IT!

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

flynuts2004

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2004, 05:18 PM »
Thanks, Rgfixit the class will be a basic casting class, and water safety. The class size will be around 8 young men. Between Livin4ice and myself we should have ample equipment, and time. At this time I am starting a lesson plan, using some of your ideas, along with some emails that were sent.

I want this class to be fun for these boys, and hope they take interest in this sport. I can’t wait to see more post and mail on this subject. Thank you all for your help!!!!!

Rick

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:10 PM »
If you need any more info I'm glad to help.

If I lived closer...I'd be there  ;D

RG

tommyboy

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2004, 09:28 PM »
flynuts2004,

If you have an opportunity to get them out on the water to try out casting, I would reccomoned that you also give them an opportunity to tie some flies as well.  If you have a place with some nice gills nearby, you wouldn't need to show them anything too advanced, and then they could have the opportunity to catch fish on some lures that they made themselves.  It was a pretty rewarding experience for me to catch fish on the flies that I tied myself, and I think the kids in your group are old enough to be able to appreciate it as well.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

flynuts2004

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2004, 04:59 AM »
Tommyboy - Great Idea, I contacted the Scout Leader and he thought it was good idea.  The week before the work-shop myself and some other guys will sit down with the young boy's and tie some flies. Thanks...

Rick

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2004, 07:58 AM »
I have given several work shops for the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. Everything from bicycle repair, building bird houses to fly fishing. My advice is to keep it hands on and simple. I found by making it hands on will hold their interest and by making it simple they they will get the feeling of accomplishment. One other thing I had done with the fly fishing work shop was to make it a two part class - one each week. The first class I tried to explain the fundamentals of fly fishing and let them tie some large, basic streamers. The larger hook size and simple pattern made it simple for them. In the second part we went to a pond which holds bluegills and sunnies. I demonstrated the proper technique and explained the reasoning behind it. Then all the Scouts tried their hand at casting using a small caddisfly (easier for them to see).
The class was only supposed to be a two hour class but they were having a such a blast catching sunnies and bluegills we didn't leave that pond until four hours later.  :)   
Those who are brave are free ..       

tommyboy

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2004, 12:25 PM »
flynuts2004,

Lonewolf's idea about streamers is a great one.  Very easy to tie and panfish will usually hit them pretty well.  If you have some youger kids in your group that you think a streamer might be too advanced for, maybe you could pick up some of the foam ant bodies from an orvis store.  That way, they would only have to tie on a couple of yarn legs and glue the body on, then they can color the foam bodies with a permanent marker.

rrich

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2004, 03:47 PM »
Lone wolf's idea are great. It is my understanding that the Boy Scouts now have the flyfishing merit badge. You might want to pick up a copy of the book  and maybe incorporate some of the requirements  into your class. When I was invloved in scouting I taught the fishing merit badge

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.