FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: salmon river  (Read 4623 times)

Knot there yet

Re: salmon river
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Nothing like it used to be. Snag hooks thinned the crowd a lot. Steel head is just fancy snagging.
 The sport is landing them,foul hooked only makes it harder  to do. Truly the largest freshwater fish you’ll ever catch. They are hatchery fish so no reason to shed a tear. They spawn in buckets now not rocks. Catching  them actually cleans river some of carcasses.  If you’ve ever been hit bye 40bls carcass’s come down river they stink and hurt sometimes. No difference from canal. Word travels faster than light speed when fish are there. 
 Glad I’ve done it. Would go again

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:06 AM »
well my salmon river trip got cut short early. first day had 4 hookups and lost all them. second morning 12 hookups and landed 2. 19lb hen and a 18lb buck. i will post pics soon. i honestly didnt enjoy the style of fishing up there. its basically just snagging fish in the mouth thats all i view it as. i dont consider that "fishing" in my eyes. i view fishing as a head game of outsmarting a fish and getting them to take your hook. not just forcefully hooking them in the mouth as they swim by. maybe ill try it again for steelhead a fish that will actually bite your offering. not a real sporting way of fishing to me at all. catching them in the lake is way better.
Fish aren't worth eating either. I remember when they had the snagging section. Guys would be throwing a weighted trebble like they were snagging poggies. The lake is way better for the Salmon. You won't go wrong if you give the Steelhead a try though. A lot of fun to catch.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:12 AM »
If that's combat fishing the canal was world war 3 this year!

Meet Fred, our local Salmon river ambassador.  8)

LOL right. This year at the ditch there would be 3 or 4 more guys squeezed in between they guy in the red and the guy in the blue. And the guy 7 or 8 down would be casting across them all
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

westernmas

« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Nothing like it used to be. Snag hooks thinned the crowd a lot. Steel head is just fancy snagging.
 The sport is landing them,foul hooked only makes it harder  to do. Truly the largest freshwater fish you’ll ever catch. They are hatchery fish so no reason to shed a tear. They spawn in buckets now not rocks. Catching  them actually cleans river some of carcasses.  If you’ve ever been hit bye 40bls carcass’s come down river they stink and hurt sometimes. No difference from canal. Word travels faster than light speed when fish are there. 
 Glad I’ve done it. Would go again

Steelhead fishing is not fancy snagging in my opinion.  Can you snag them in a similar manner to salmon? Yes, but you can also get them to bite your offering just like you can any other fish.  You can get them to hit regular nymphs you would use in any stream around here, streamers, and the typical egg patterns people throw for salmon.  Its really much different than salmon fishing, especially the later you get into the season.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2018, 10:07 AM »
LOL right. This year at the ditch there would be 3 or 4 more guys squeezed in between they guy in the red and the guy in the blue. And the guy 7 or 8 down would be casting across them all

This made me laugh.  So true.

Steve H.

« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Go in November or December for the steelhead and brown trout.  That is real fishing.  And yes, they take flies, both egg and stonefly patterns.  Those September-October king salmon are for the googans.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Tribs.   :)

CMD1987

« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:07 PM »
I prefer the local (all be it smaller) variety.
 :D

filetandrelease

« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:28 AM »

Great looking fish 🎣

westernmas

« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2018, 07:52 AM »
I'm heading up tomorrow evening.  Anyone have any tips on fishing high water?  The flows are around 2000cfs last I looked and its supposed to rain up there today.  We might resort to exploring some of the smaller tribs in the area.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

filetandrelease

« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:08 AM »

It’s pouring here right now , rain forecasted next few days

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Tribs!  :)

filetandrelease

« Reply #27 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:13 AM »

A bud just called he fished a trib and ended up with a nice brown ,on a  glow egg pattern

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: Nov 06, 2018, 02:01 PM »
I know Lance will be out there soon crushing.  I am going to make a pilgramage out there soon.

Knot there yet

« Reply #29 on: Nov 07, 2018, 08:43 AM »
When flow is at 2000cfs it’s dangerous. Be safe. I don’t think they even want you in the river. The sirens sound when they open gates. Friday low flow. Saturday 2’ lake effect snow and 2000cfs January 2016

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.