FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mississinewa float  (Read 2455 times)

2bstreamin

Mississinewa float
« on: Jul 25, 2011, 06:56 PM »
Sunday a friend and I floated a five mile section. He wanted to fish for gar, I for cats. At the end of the float we had 9 cats and I had caught 2 gar. Water is extremely low, warm and a clear that only a Midwestern river can get, if you know what I mean. We paddled the last mile in a down pour which felt rather good this time of year. I had the fly rod along for funsies. All I got out of that was casting practice. Even that was fun.How many of you mix cat tin' and fly roddin'?

2bstreamin

Re: Mississinewa float
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2011, 08:06 PM »
A belated follow up report. The guy I went with took his son two days later. They hooked up a dozen cats even, a keeper smallie, three white bass and a nice crappie. Oh and a nice bunch of gar. A different friend said to bring him the gar and he would show me something much better than fried catfish. I'm game. Will be going again in the morning over a different stretch of water.

2bstreamin

« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2011, 08:02 AM »
Another follow up report. We went again on Tuesday for a short float as I had to be at work. Also, we tried a different stretch. The mornings catch was six channels, 1 Rock Bass, 1 White Bass, 1 Gar. I haven't caught a rock bass in decades. It tells me the river is cleaning up a bit more. The fish were aggressive on dead shad. Two of the larger cat we caught jumped. You don't see that everyday. They didn't clear water, but they definately jumped. Oh, and the gar WE caught bit on my hook, swam across my partners' line, got off my hook, had my partners' line wrapped through and around his snout so my partner reeled it in with the hook a foot away from its mouth or any other body part. Oh and except that the white and rock were caught on twister tails. A friend cleaned the gar and gave me half to try. He says it is better than fried catfish. It is part of today's fish fry.

Today some of my grandsons and I are headed to the dam to cast net for more bait.

2bstreamin

« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2011, 08:07 AM »
P.S. After the float we rendezvous back at the drop off point. The guy who lives across the street comes over to chat. First, though he catches 6' Black snake in the parking area. We shared fish stories about our decades on the river, the three of us. End game is that the Mississinewa River through Grant county is an underrated fishing river. They told me not to tell you that. But I trust you guys and gals to enjoy and take care of our resources.

2bstreamin

« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2011, 06:02 PM »
Yesterday's float with my SIL and one grandson came after waiting out a good thunderstorm. The river rose a couple inches and cooled off. I thought we would do well. We went home with 4 channels. My partners are real greenhorns so there was the usual equipment difficulties, bad casts, etc. They thought it was great, though. And it really was.

wallin

« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2011, 06:02 PM »
No eyes?
Wallin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.