FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Minn Kota vs. Motor Guide  (Read 3149 times)

buffaloice

Minn Kota vs. Motor Guide
« on: May 24, 2015, 06:58 PM »
Hey all. I searched the net and this site for opinions on this subject, found some online but nothing specific on MFF, so here it goes.
I am very close to pulling the trigger on one of the motors to put on my 17.5 tinny. I am looking for 80# thrust,60" shaft.I found that I can pick up a MG for about $400 less than a MK with the same specs. I will be purchasing a Hummin bird 891ciHD as well. Appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

papadarv

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motor Guide
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 09:19 PM »
If you plan in the future to use a Humminbird iPilot with the Lakemaster chip, it will only link to a Minn Kota trolling motor. Lawrance has partnered with MotorGuide to do the same thing. In 2011 Johnson Outdoors purchased Minn Kota, HumminBird and Lake Master than made the three of them unique to their products. You need to really check this out and look at the future before you buy.

My Brother-in-law has the MotorGuide 80# and I have a MinnKota 75# with Co-Pilot. Using the small hand-held remote, the MinnKota has much better and more precise control compared to the MotorGuide. MinnKota not as jerky and the MotorGuide and MotorGuide has a tendency to continue to turn another 10 to 15 deg after you release the turn button.  

buffaloice

Re: Minn Kota vs. Motor Guide
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Very good info! Much appreciated!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.