FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Poll

What do you perfer Ice or Open Water and Why

Open Water
39 (27.7%)
Ice Fishing
102 (72.3%)

Total Members Voted: 136

Author Topic: Ice Vs. Open Water...The Official Poll  (Read 25285 times)

hunters08

Re: Ice Vs. Open Water...The Official Poll
« Reply #30 on: Jul 31, 2006, 07:58 PM »
nah, I love ice fishing but i guess i love the open water a little more nothing like drifting a bobber at the niagara river,or casting a spoon for steelhead or salmon in the harbors of lake erie and ontario.wading chautauqua lake in the wee hours of the am for walleye.Dont get me wrong theres nothing like jigging for those big gills at silver lake through the ice, or the walleyes and white perch at chautauqua through the ice.I guess its kind of a trick question when you think about it. If it was january probably would have said ice fishing who knows....
If i'm not fishing than i hope i'm turkey hunting!!!

archbishop

« Reply #31 on: Jul 31, 2006, 08:01 PM »
I agree,and there is so much more opportunities to fish with open water.

And dont forget that the winter cold sucks!!!!!!!

like was said earlier, you can keep warm outdoors in the cold, your stuck with the heat :tipup:
i dont see how the opportunities are greater with open water ???
unless your like thestanimal, and would rather cast a fly, thats all that ice fishing limits you? casting :tipup:

When theres hard water there is not alot of open water.

im kind of confused by that ???

JETSTER

« Reply #32 on: Jul 31, 2006, 08:06 PM »

im kind of confused by that ???

I edited sorry.

It might of cleared it up.

Bailbuster

« Reply #33 on: Jul 31, 2006, 08:08 PM »
I really like ice fishing ! But I also like to troll just off the beach on hot hot day!!BB

devil-man

« Reply #34 on: Jul 31, 2006, 08:12 PM »
This is a very hard one for me.

I love ice-fishing because I get to hang out with friends, party, and the fish are a bonus. Some crazy things have happened and the advantages listed above definitely apply...

I love open-water because I am better at it and can actually focus on the task at hand.
What to vote? I'm going to flip a coin...

:afro:

archbishop

« Reply #35 on: Jul 31, 2006, 08:53 PM »
Sorry to disprove your theory Arch, but I gotta pick OPEN water.

why? thers 10 people that voted open?
how many admitted it?

either way, as long as were all fishing :tipup:

ifishhi

• fall togue on a 6wt.....what a fight!
« Reply #36 on: Jul 31, 2006, 09:01 PM »
i love them both. i can come up with just as many good points for both. i'm with d-man, gimmi a coin 8)

Polar

« Reply #37 on: Jul 31, 2006, 09:05 PM »
Open water,why sit in one spot to wait for fish when you can go find them.

When theres ice on your lake though,what else can you do? ???

I wish I had the time to ice fish,but it seams like its a PATIENCE game and I just dont seem to have that!

I dont even sit in a tree stand for hunting,I GO FIND DEER!

You icefish just like you would in your boat.You still fish breaks,weedlines and supended fish. If your flasher isn't showing fish just move somewhere's else.

Out4Trout

« Reply #38 on: Jul 31, 2006, 09:17 PM »
Ice fishing hands down, I don't get a chance to open water fish much. But I don't mind the warm weather. I know that some of you guys get unbearable heat, and it's been a hot summer here, but I dread to hear the day my furnace kicks in. $$$$$. I plan to burn a lot more wood this year.

Nickp

« Reply #39 on: Jul 31, 2006, 09:36 PM »
I voted ice- its fun if you set tipups cuz then you can mess around but if you jig and move it gets tiring- i love to setup 6 tipups on a underwater hill and just sit around and talk- maybe jig for tasty perch

I wish iceout was way better here for trout though

Gotta buy some more tipups- christmass prescent- and ice armor gloves to stay warm- good boots too'

gotta stay dry and protected from wind- thats why I dont like openwater- the waves keep you from fishing an exact spot- fish are grouped up better too

il be doin the ice alot this year

PerchandPans

« Reply #40 on: Jul 31, 2006, 10:27 PM »
Ice all the way ,its a sickness ;D I had to do a large amount of reasearch but finally found some close by,40 miles Nothing but rainbow and brookies though. Sure do miss the panfish and walleyes thru the ice .

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #41 on: Jul 31, 2006, 10:43 PM »
Ice fishing hands down

Now I just got to find a job back north where there actually is ice  :-\
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

rvz

« Reply #42 on: Aug 01, 2006, 06:49 AM »
I have to vote for ICE FISHING!!!  I rarely fish open water but I get onto to the ice as soon as it is safe and fish as often as possible.  Even with our rather short and thin season last year I managed 12 days of ice fishing and  one day of cutting the shanty out of Saratoga Lake!  Let's all hope for more ice next year.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

jgguppyboy2

« Reply #43 on: Aug 01, 2006, 07:22 AM »
as much as i love jiggin up lakers in the middle of the summer I would have to say icefishing takes first place.  I love jigging and its a lot easier to jig verticly when your not movin all over the place in a boat!  Plus im young so the cold doesnt bother me.  Besides, thats what my portable is for!  I have a little heater inside so half the time we are in t-shirts anyways!!!

~Stefan~
still waiting for the day I can say my longest fight is with a fish and not my wife!!! LOL

blaque

« Reply #44 on: Aug 01, 2006, 07:29 AM »
Love them both, its all fishin! but i have to choose here, and because of that, i choose open water. Mainly because I seem to find alot more time and oppurtunity to get out in the spring , summer and fall and can always find good conditions somewhere. Last years Ice season here in WNY was less than stellar. And for some reason i always find myself down at ghetto beach or small boat harbor. If i jumped around some of the inland lakes, i might enjoy ice a little more.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.