MFF US Northeast > Maryland

Deep Creek Lake Update, and Pics.

(1/2) > >>

FishDeepCreek:
Ok, Ive been asked for pics & reports so here we go. Was out yesterday on Deep Creek Lake again, and here is what I obsevered. Chain Pikerels seem to be everywhere as usual, and strike just about any lure you throw out there. Bluegills seem to be shallow in the wood, in backs of stream fed coves,more so than the crappie it seems. The crappie seem to be just starting to move into brush but in the general area that they will very soon spawn in. Here is a pic of one of the many gill we hooked. She measured 10 1/4 inches.

Walleyes still seem to be holding shallow in coves as well. If its high sun, they lay in shaded areas, including boat docks, if grey, they disperse out more. Here is a pic of one I picked up trolling a worm harness (along with 2 keeper crappies I hooked in another area on small jigs)

I spotted alot of largemouth in very shalllow water, under docks, by grass reeds, and stumps. Seen some real nice sized bass crusing the shorelines.The smallmouth have been active in many areas of the lake, they really seem to be on. Heres a pic of one I picked up on one of my walleye jigs that I make.

Today, a cold front was to move in which resulted in high wind gusts off and on, and incoming rain so we decided to bank fish a farm pond up here in Garrett Co, and did well! The crappie were turned on! We caught some nice slabs, including the 2 slabs shown below.

The bluegills were going nuts as well. We caught a bunch of hard fighting gills, with very pretty coloration as seen below.Also ccaught a few Largemouth bass, nothing big though.

All in all Id say that it was a pretty good weekend to fish, a nice mixed bag! Until next time......Tight Lines FDC.

g3:
could you give me some info on deep creek,such as horespower limits,launches,places to stay.thanks,john :)

FishDeepCreek:
To my knowledge there isnt a horsepower restriction, but there is a size of vessel restriction. No boats over 21 feet long. There a good amount of places to stay, but they can fill up quick especially during summer months, holidays ,and ski season. The are a few hotels in the lake area, Comfort Inn in Mchenry, and Willow O Wisp in Thayerville are 2 that come to mind. The further from the lake you are, the cheaper the rates. Log on to www.deepcreektimes.com, I believe they will have the accomadation/hotels address, and phone numbers, as well as a wealth of other info. Keep in mind during the warm summer months, the boat traffic can be pretty bad during the day, which is why now is another good time to fish. There is only one public place to launch a boat that is at the State Park on Deep Creek. They have raised rates this year to launch, I believe it can cost you 10 bucks (maybe more) each time to launch. If you plan to fish there alot, get a season pass.

Fat Boy:
Great pics and reports FDC!

g3:
 :)thanks a lot for the info,very helpful!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version