FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Climb From April Through May  (Read 1976 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
The Climb From April Through May
« on: May 31, 2023, 01:26 PM »
As I sit here typing, it's pushing 90*.  It was very a different scene 8 short weeks ago.

For the April opener and the following 2 weeks or so, the only real game in town was small water native brookies.  Toward the coast, it was a decent bite, with little or no snowpack and the coltsfoot blooming early on.

At the same time, it was an endurance test to hike in the thigh deep snow along brooks an hour or so inland from the coast.  Just a few brookies came out to play as winter hung on.

After mid-April, ice out started at the coast and worked its way inland.  For the past 5 years or so, I have enjoyed success wading and casting the lakeshores in spring and fall.  The target is trout and salmon.  While fall is most reliable, spring has had its moments.  Spring 2023 was pretty lackluster for casting the lakeshores for trout and salmon.  Even dark days and a salmon chop did little to help.  I did pick up a few splake.

On the other hand, light gear and cold water were a more active combo for a good number of quality bass starting right after ice out.

The playing field changed in late April when the dash on my 177,000 mile Subaru lit up like a Christmas tree.  Sorting out the P0700 code with my code reader and discussions with folks in the know, led me to shorten my driving radius and make moves to bring in a new fish wagon.  As I wait for it to get here,  I've dug deeper into local trout options and also my multi-species roots with flyrod only.  Perhaps having my wings clipped was a blessing in disguise :laugh:

I visited some nearby flowing water that hasn't fished this well in years.  The browns are stocked some distance away, but move into this "brook trout setting" fairly quickly if conditions are right.  There are a few native brookies in the mix.  Working the pocket water with a dry (para adams or EHC)  and a trailing emerger on a 2-weight is a blast.  The emergers led the way in hook-ups.

I took advantage of a pretty fair white perch run and other warm water species options with the light flyrod.  Non-stop action and variety is a nice mix.

The most memorable fishing of the month came toward the end.  I made 3 trips to the same lake trib  This is a spot that could probably kick out 10 different species if fished often enough, but usually trout are at the back of the pack in the mix.  On trip 1 of 3, I caught the typical mixed bag, but threw in a decent holdover brookie on a streamer.  Late in the outing, regular rises that I could I.D. as trout started up.  All I had on hand was sub-surface stuff and I left without any further action.  Trip 2 of 3 had me "prepared" with dries and emergers, but low water and unexpected bluebird skies made for a pretty much dead day.  Trip 3 of 3 was paydirt....higher flows and somewhat overcast. Upon arrival, I watched and took inventory of 4 or 5 steady risers over 100 yards of stream.  I got into position and fished carefully over individual fish and landed 4 holdovers.  All took a Partridge & Brown trailer.  Mission accomplished ahead the month-ending heat 8)

Most waters have now warmed and dropped quickly.  Rain is needed.  We'll see what mother nature can do.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: The Climb From April Through May
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 01:50 PM »
Great report Jim! Looks like some awesome spots there to test the new Tenkara set up of mine :thumbup_smilie:

Did you get a new fishing vehicle yet?

Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 02:49 PM »
Thanks, Kev.  If you can make your way north, the fish await you. 8)

Not yet.  Hopefully soon.  I'm not comfortable taking Old Bessie much more than 30 miles or so,

Great report Jim! Looks like some awesome spots there to test the new Tenkara set up of mine :thumbup_smilie:

Did you get a new fishing vehicle yet?

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 07:16 PM »
Good report Jim. That old Subaru has put in its fair share of work over the years. What year is it? New Subaru on the way?

Jim C.

« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2023, 07:48 AM »
Thanks, Nick.  Yes, the Subaru has seen lots of fish and other things both on and off the black top since Sept. 30, 2008.  Yes, a new one is on the way.  If it lasts as long as the one I have now, someone will probably inherit it :laugh:

Good report Jim. That old Subaru has put in its fair share of work over the years. What year is it? New Subaru on the way?

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2023, 09:09 AM »
Thanks, Nick.  Yes, the Subaru has seen lots of fish and other things both on and off the black top since Sept. 30, 2008.  Yes, a new one is on the way.  If it lasts as long as the one I have now, someone will probably inherit it :laugh:
Can’t beat Japanese made. I still have my Tacoma from 08.

fish wayniac

« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2023, 02:49 PM »
jim, That’s a good batch of fish for the last 2 months . I think you caught more fish in one outing than me trolling in 5 trips. You have pounded the roads in that car to get to all your fishing spots. That Subaru has served you well. 🎣

Jim C.

« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2023, 02:05 PM »
Thanks, Wayne.  With these hot days, the surface water temps have jumped.  Maybe you'll find the browns bunched up 20 feet down.  I'm routing for you 8)

jim, That’s a good batch of fish for the last 2 months . I think you caught more fish in one outing than me trolling in 5 trips. You have pounded the roads in that car to get to all your fishing spots. That Subaru has served you well. 🎣

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2023, 02:11 PM »
Awesome Jim, you still fished quite a bit even with the ol' clunker subie! Mines having problems now  :laugh: nothing serious but bunch of small stuff piling up (another double-puncture piece of metal in a tire, need new rear brakes/rotors, found out my A/C doesn't work yesterday).

How big was that holdover brookie &/or when do you think it was stocked? looks big but i'm bad at judging fish in the net pics.  and holy crap thats a big largemouth bass!  good mix of natives too.

Jim C.

« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2023, 04:46 PM »
Thanks, Randall.

Cars...can't live with them and can't live without them :-\  Good luck with your automotive adventures.

Biggest brookie was 15-16".  I'm guessing it was stocked in Fall 2022 at 14".  But the stocking point could be several options.

Awesome Jim, you still fished quite a bit even with the ol' clunker subie! Mines having problems now  :laugh: nothing serious but bunch of small stuff piling up (another double-puncture piece of metal in a tire, need new rear brakes/rotors, found out my A/C doesn't work yesterday).

How big was that holdover brookie &/or when do you think it was stocked? looks big but i'm bad at judging fish in the net pics.  and holy crap thats a big largemouth bass!  good mix of natives too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.