FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Scientific Angler  (Read 6738 times)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
The Scientific Angler
« on: Mar 22, 2004, 12:50 PM »
How many people have somewhat of a scientific approach to their angling affliction?  ???

??? Do you keep a fishing log or journal?  ???
 ??? Do you keep track of water temperatures (surface and various depths)?  ???
 ??? Do you record water clarity?  ???
 ??? Do you use a GPS or other similar unit?  ???
 ??? Do you use other electronics or "scientific" devices?  ???

--What store bought equipment do you use that works well?
--Have you made any equipment that you use that works well?

--What have you tried that did not work well for you?

Too many questions?  ???    I hope not!

Look'in forward to hearing from all you floating "fish'in-ologists" . . .

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Cider

Re: The Scientific Angler
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2004, 01:03 PM »
reelcharacter - I responded to your post about taking water temps in the electronics board.  I don't use a journal for tracking my fishing.  I have thought about it every year, but fall into a rut and never follow through.  This year, I think I am going to force myself.  I think this can be a very powerful tool for improving your fishing success from year to year.

wyogator

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2004, 01:11 PM »
I try to keep a journal for good catches, noting the moon phase, time of day, year, weather, etc...I'm not consistent with this though. I'm not very scientific at all. I am more artistic.

tucker

• central NY, heart of tax and spend
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2004, 02:10 PM »
I have thought about it for awhile but just got lazy and never kept up with it.  I bought my wife a palm pilot that she now does not use, so I may start using that.  I may look kind of stupid standing in a stream with a palm pilot in hand, but as long as I don't drop it I don't care.

reubenpa

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2004, 02:27 PM »
I have thought of it, and menat to one year, but never did. I always forget to when I get home, and I never think of taking something with me!! I will use a journal sometime though
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2004, 02:33 PM »
i keep a log while icefishing..nothing practical to refer to, but a permanent record on the shanty wall...kinda nice when things ever get quiet and makes a good conversation piece..not an easy thing to do when you are on the softwater with wind, rain, and a busy bite pretty much puts that thought to rest.. good memories and never forget the honeyhole... grump

icefishnh

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2004, 02:55 PM »
we dont keep a logbook for fishing but my dad and i keep one for hunting.  we also keep track of fish and who caught em on a board at our bobhouse. the total for this year's icefishing was 51 trout, 7cusk(i think), 1 smallmouth bass, 1 pickeral, 3 white perch and i think thats about it.
I like big fish and I cannot lie!

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2004, 03:06 PM »
ooops!! caught 251 northerns, 16 walleye and 5 perch.. the last two were expected to be higher than the northern count...oh well...shouldn't complain..grump

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:37 PM »
im another thinker but not doer ;D
tight lines, chuck

Bartman44

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2004, 07:42 PM »
I've kept a fishing journal since I was ten years old. That 's 35 years worth. Still record every trip (even if it's for an hour).   One pre-marriage year I fished 256 days out of 365.  Now I'm down to about 85 to 90, mostly with the kids and local.   Fished the Mohawk River yesterday for an hour and it's going in the book.

I'm also big on water temp. It's often overlooked, especially during the summer months.

Yes, my wife is great.

Bartman   

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2004, 08:25 PM »
I'm not that big on water temperature unless it is too cold for warmwater fish, in which that means it's ice off or near ice.

I used to keep a fishing journal, and I try to every year. By april, I get lazy and say: "Oh, I'll mark it tomorrow" and I never do. But jan.-midmarch, I keep one.

Also, I use electronics only when Ice fishing because most lakes I fish in open water I can't use boats so that rules that out.

I also use thinking and logic for fish location. I know all the waters that I fish extremely well and I have fished them for over a decade every weekend. So I know all of the best holes for the certain time of year, I even remember exactly where I stand and in what locations there are bad snags and where the fish usually stack in a hole.
To go further on this idea, I use logic. Hot day= slow fishing in deep holes. Prefer rocks for fish, especially browns, to shade temp. cold day= slow fishing in deep holes.prefer a sandy hole because the sand absorbs the sun's heat better. mid temp day= good fishing on the deeper runs, drift on current edges. windy day in a lake= fish standing into the wind. The flies will be pushed to the bank your fishing on, bringing the smaller fish to eat the flies which brings the bigger fish to eat the smaller fish. half muddy half clear lake= fish parallel on the edge of the muddy and clear water. The predators will be hiding in the mud wating to ambush fish in the more clear water. a few days after full moon if the fish are really fussy= smaller, slower baits. muddy water= bright, large lures. especially flourescent orange panther martins. Do not use silver or gold or subtle colors. clear water= smaller presentation. more natural baitfish colors. gold and silver work great in clear water, especially in conjuction with sunny weather because the flash will "call the fish in"

I use more logic, but I use to much to post here ;D

I also use gps during icefishing season, or if i am floating over a lake and find a stack of bass or pike, but that's about it.

Remember, think like a fish, and you will find them and find hungry ones!!!

reelcharacter

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2004, 10:44 PM »
reelcharacter - I responded to your post about taking water temps in the electronics board.  I don't use a journal for tracking my fishing.  I have thought about it every year, but fall into a rut and never follow through.  This year, I think I am going to force myself.  I think this can be a very powerful tool for improving your fishing success from year to year.

Thanks Cider,

(Is that Hard or Sweet Cider) ? Have a few good "Hard Cider" stories, but that is another post, some other time . . .

Will check the Water Temps topic next. That post actually made me think of this one.

So here I am at home painting rooms with this idea for a Scientific Angler Post nagging at me.  "Paint room, or post to topic; paint room or post to topic; paint room . . .  no, post to topic and this series of scientific questions were born. Later on, I did get the ceiling painted and will be sleeping soundly in the room tonight.  :)

Anyways, back to topic. I am in the same boat as you. I am resolving to make that little extra effort and take a little more time to do a fishing log (hey, sounds like another post coming . . .). I, to, think a record of weather, water temp and etc will be time well spent.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

reelcharacter

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2004, 10:54 PM »
I have thought about it for awhile but just got lazy and never kept up with it.  I bought my wife a palm pilot that she now does not use, so I may start using that.  I may look kind of stupid standing in a stream with a palm pilot in hand, but as long as I don't drop it I don't care.

That would be a priceless picture; up to your -ss in water, the fly rod tucked under your arm and working the palm pilot with both hands . . .

Should use it for your MyFishFinder photo.

-Reelcharacter

Hollywood

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2004, 10:56 PM »
I kept a log for the DEC for a couple years out of Skaneateles lake. They used it to track fin-clips,species,size,dates & amount of time fished. They send you a log book-you send in info at the end of the year-theres quite a few waters they'd like info on.

eyedoktr

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2004, 06:27 AM »
Like Hollywood, I kept a log book for the DEC. I did it for about 5 consecutive years and it was pretty surprising when i went back and looked at the results. The first thing I noticed was how much time I actually spent on the water ( over 200 days a year) but also how repeatable the pattern was over the years. I logged date, time, weather, water clarity, lures, species, sizes, location and probably a couple of things I can't remember now. With the computer programs available now, I just may have to start logging again.
Pete Lewis

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.