FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Does Your Local Paper Have a Fishing Section?  (Read 3973 times)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
Does Your Local Paper Have a Fishing Section?
« on: Mar 22, 2004, 01:11 PM »
What is the coverage for Outdoor Topics (hunting and fishing) like for your local newspaper?  ???  With the coverage that MyFishFinder has, It would be interesting to hear from as many different States and locations as possible.

Here in Central New York, the Outdoor Section of our daily newspaper (The Post Standard) is minimal. A Sunday section has a listing of events, usually some recent DEC info., a reader submitted photo and perhaps a little more.  A Thursday article or two located in the Sports Section will have some additional information each week.

What is the Outdoor coverage (hunting and fishing) like in your daily paper and where are you from?

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Does Your Local Paper Have a Fishing Section?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2004, 01:35 PM »
Coverage...the newspaper  covers all my fish...none of my fishing....but all my fish. I use it to wrap  fish remains all the time.

We get 00000...ZILCH...NADA....sports to the D&C  are cycling, figure skating, horticulture and bird watching...all fine pastimes .....  NOT SPORTS!

They call it "The Outdoor Page" .....how lovely :P
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wyogator

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2004, 01:42 PM »
We have an outdoor page on Thursdays in the Wyoming Tribune Eagle. It is mostly dedicated to hunting and big game, but they do run weekly fishing reports, with a few articles from  march through dec. I was disapointed in there not being any ice fishing articles, because ice fishing is really popular around here.

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2004, 04:46 PM »
The Finger Lakes Times has a Sunday section that includes fishing and hunting. The outdoor writer C. Scott Sampson does a very good job for the amout of paper he can write in. On a side note he is ill right now and needs all the prayers he can get. I have said prayers for a fast recovery for him.

on the web www.flt.com

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2004, 05:19 PM »
Our fishing section is almost always saltwater related.  Every blue moon they have a paragraph about freshwater.  That's ok though, as we mainly fish at our cottage on Lake Ontario and read the weekly "lure of the lake".  It lists excellent coverage of local fishing spots, what is biting and what is working.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2004, 08:37 PM »
The Daily Sentinal (grand junction, colorado paper) has a guy name Peter buchanan that does the writings. The first few you read are interesting, but they are always about little sections on the gunnison river, he never changes the location, it gets boring.
Also, he is such an elitist flyfisherman that it is annoying, he doesn't branch out to other methods

reelcharacter

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2004, 10:29 PM »
Thank you for the replies! Keep them coming . . .

So far, you are confirming my suspicions:

1. The daily papers cover (our outdoors) poorly.
2. Other specialty papers / publications may or may not pick up the void regionally.
3. A few gems (writers) do exist here and there, but are the exception rather than the rule.
4. Some writers cover what they want, rather than what the reader wants.
5. Some writers don't write, but rather print statistics and other, yawn, information.

We now have the scoop on Outdoor Writing from (Syracuse, Rochester, the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario) for NY State;  Grand Junction, Colorado;  the Wyoming Tribune Eagle.

What's the Fishing / Outdoor Writing like in your paper and where are you referring to?  ???

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2004, 11:47 PM »
I'm from North-Central Jersey and the Star Ledger does have a small fishing section in the sports section about 3-4 times a week. It mostly covers saltwater. I've chosen not to believe any of the reports listed though as I've sat next to some of the boats listed all day and watched a few fish pulled up and then read in the paper everyone caught limits which I sure as hell didn't see sitting next to the boat all day.

Also The Home New & Tribune has a whole section devoted to fishing on every Tuesday called Hook Line & Sinker. It mostly covers saltwater fishing but does has some freshwater, mostly around opening day of trout season and when the shad start moving in to spawn.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2004, 05:48 AM »
On Sunday, the Bucks Co. Courier Times has two articles relating to the "outdoors."  One is ussually specifically about what is going on in politics and the PG&FC (PA Game and Fish Commision).  The other article is about the wide array of outdoor activities,  including fishing once in a while.  Back in  Minneapolis,  MN,  there was a back page every Wednesday dedicated to fishing through the summer months.  The Land of Ten Thousand Lakes had very good coverage in print about fishing.

eyedoktr

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2004, 06:16 AM »
I agree with RG (as always) about the Roch paper. I go online to the Buffalo paper at least once a week and they usually have at least one fishing update. As I fish lake erie and Chatauqua often in the summer, these reports are pretty good.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/othersports/fishing.asp
Pete Lewis

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2004, 06:54 AM »
The Milwaukee journal-sentinal does a weekly fishing report for the whole state and tells what is biting and on what. In the sunday outdoor section they cover a variety of subjects which always makes for good reading.

HIMO
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2004, 07:37 AM »
I was always astounded by the quality of the Buffalo Evening News' coverage of hunting and fishing. I spend a lot of time on my friend's farm in Wyoming County and looked forward to  those reports.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

reelcharacter

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2004, 08:34 AM »
Thanks Eyedoc,

Thanks for the Buffalo link, Buffalo does seem to have decent coverage.

-Reelcharacter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.