FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Your Favorite Fishing Knot and Why?  (Read 9145 times)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
Your Favorite Fishing Knot and Why?
« on: Mar 20, 2004, 05:34 PM »
Not to be sacreligious or disrespectful, but here is the scenario . . .

God comes to you and says;

”Son, from this day forward, you are to give my creatures, the fish, a greater chance to swim the waters I created. You will today and forever in the future know only one fishing knot. You may select the one knot you wish to use, and then, I shall erase your knowledge of any and all other knots.”

What knot do you select and why?

-Reelcharacter 
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

reubenpa

Re: Your Favorite Fishing Knot and Why?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2004, 05:45 PM »
my simple and stupid know.. double over the line and tie a regular knot in the doubled line.  Trim excess then push through eyelet and push the hook or lure through the loop and pull tight.. kinda like a lasso.   People think that it is weak, but I pulled in a 17 fish, and a lot of others with it. I have had it fail a couple times in the last few years, but not many.   It is a little too easily seen though,...  a problem
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

reelcharacter

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2004, 06:23 PM »
Reuben,

Thanks for being the first to jump in.

I myself, would have to go with the Trilene knot and it's slight variations. I learned the knot as an avid teen-age fisherman from some fishing magazine nearly 30 years ago. It was touted as the "must know" knot back then. I can't imagine how many times I have used it over the years, but it has proven time after time a sturdy and easy to tie knot.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2004, 07:07 PM »
I second on the Trilene knot, as it is very dependable and is applicable to most fishing situations.  But I sure do like the palomer knot for ice fishing.

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2004, 07:23 PM »
I love good knots...just a knothead by nature....Between fishing, boating, working in construction as a rigger, rock and ice climbing ( as a young man), fly tying and sailing, I've learned a lot of knots.

In order of preference;

Terminal tackle;
Palomar
Trilene
Improved Clinch
No Slip Loop
Rapala
Dropper Loop

Line to Line;
Blood Knot
Uniknot

I've said it before and I'll say it again...when you can tie a Bimini Twist....You're a  KNOTHEAD! ;D

By the way...anyone know how to tie a "Beerdumpful"?

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

reubenpa

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2004, 07:30 PM »
never heard of a trilene knot. I will have to learn that one.  RG you should make a booklet about your knots... I didn't know that there were so many

mike692

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2004, 07:47 PM »
Got to go along with rg.....Palomar. Never had one slip yet.

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2004, 09:06 PM »
Trilene Knot.............simple and 100% if tied correctly! ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2004, 09:10 PM »
There's plenty of books out there on knots.

Here's a good online source;
http://www.netknots.com/

If you ever run across Berkley's Little Red Book of Knots...buy it!
RG

Trilene Knot;

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

reubenpa

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2004, 09:47 PM »
thanks RG I have used that one. It is the only other one I use besides the one I described.  I haven't used it much though, but I like it... thanks!

reelcharacter

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2004, 10:49 PM »
never heard of a trilene knot. I will have to learn that one.  RG you should make a booklet about your knots... I didn't know that there were so many

Reub,

Will try pasting in the info from another on-line source (have not tried this before):

Cant get the pics to copy, so the description is below, the link to the photos and description follows:

http://www.activeangler.com/articles/how-to/articles/knots/trilene.asp

The Trilene Knot
The Trilene Knot is a strong knot that can be used to join line to swivels, snaps, hooks and lures. The Trilene Knot is fairly easy to learn and is a very strong knot that resists slippage.

1.   Thread the line through the eye of the hook or lure and double back through the eye a second time.
2.   Holding the hook or lure in your left hand, and the standing line in your right hand, loop the tag end around the standing line 6 times. Then feed the tag end through the loop made in step 1.
3.   Tighten the knot by pulling gently on the tag end and the standing line simultaneously. Moisten the knot with water as you tighten to lubricate the line, allowing the knot to slide more easily while tightening. Trim tag end to 1/8 inch.
4.   The Trilene Knot is complete.

Unlike RG and my 21 year old son, memorizing knots does not come easily to me. If I can memorize how to tie the Trilene, anybody can!

-Reelcharacter

wyogator

« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2004, 10:52 PM »
My fav is the Trilene overall, although I use others too. I can tie a Bimini, but it's a bear and thank God I don't need them anymore after leaving Florida.

jacksmelt

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2004, 11:05 PM »
I USE THE TRILENE FOR MONO, PALOMAR FOR SPECTRA LINES AND NAIL KNOT TO CONNECT LINE + LEADERS.

reelcharacter

« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2004, 11:09 PM »
my simple and stupid know.. double over the line and tie a regular knot in the doubled line.  Trim excess then push through eyelet and push the hook or lure through the loop and pull tight.. kinda like a lasso.   People think that it is weak, but I pulled in a 17 fish, and a lot of others with it. I have had it fail a couple times in the last few years, but not many.   It is a little too easily seen though,...  a problem

Reuben,

By the way, the knot you described is the way I add a second hook on my line (with the first hook and sinker below) when I want to fish with two hooks on. (In case of the infamous panfish robber, I have a backup bait still in the water). I will tie a second knot in the end of the loop after threading the hook eye through it, just to keep the hook from possibly slipping back through the loop, which has happened to me a couple of times.

I have not been in love with this knot, as it is not snug the hook to the line. In case of a light bite, I may not even feel the fish. So, a couple of weeks ago I started pacticing the Swivel to Double Knot and Hook Snood Knot to improve my double hook and sinker combo. Also practiced up on the Blood Knot to quickly (or not so quickly, in my case) join two lines. You can see these knots, along with animated graphics for them at:

http://www.marinews.com/fishing/fk_main.htm

Remember though, unlike RG, who must have some kind of exemption or something, od is allowing only one favorite knot.  :)

Tight lines and strong knots,
-Reelcharacter

reelcharacter

« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2004, 11:19 PM »
You're quick RG,

While I looked for the info and typed my two-finger reply to Reuben, I see you had the pretty pictures all posted.

-Reelcharacter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.