FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 3 lb test?  (Read 2414 times)

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
Re: 3 lb test?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Well, if I cant reach it, I put on the rocket bobber. My go to is an 8’6” (old) bass pro microlite IM-6 and 4 lb stren. I can toss that silly distances.

Rg
Love my Rocket Bobbers!!  I have a 9' Cabela's Crappie System rod paired with a wide spool Pflueger and 4lb Nanofil to launch them bad boys out of sight.  That rods light enough to toss ice jigs a respectable distance as well.  Great all around outfit. 
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 08:47 AM »
You get any tangles with Nanofil?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Pequod1

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 09:21 AM »
I can answer that one!  Yes.  Have to be careful with it if you cast,jig,retrieve not to get slack in it or windy conditions.  Takes a while to figure it out but I have learned how to reduce the wind knots. My rookie buddy though has at least one good wind knot per trip.  Be aware of fraying too.  Sounds awful but I think it is the longest casting line out there. 
I kind of like J line too. Not as wind knot prone as nanofil but doesn’t cast as far. It is better casting than suffix or other braids. Just experimented with it last year.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 02:00 PM »
Not so much at the reel but like, Pequod mentioned, the wind will sometimes throw a half hitch around the rod tip if you don't pay attention. Stuff really is like spider web.  I've had it hang in the air when lightning was threatening due to static and couldn't make it fall to the water.  Was bizarre. The abrasion resistance is something to pay attention to. Need to trim it if it shows any sign of shredding.  I like a fluoro or mono leader depending on what I'm doing.  Generally use a small swivel or Alberto knot to connect it.  Knots are another thing to mention.  Nanofil is about the slickest line out there, some knots will slip with it.  Certainly has pros and cons but for long casting, shallow water jigging, or bobber fishing, it's hard to beat.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.