FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fat Boy's 2014 Photo Eye Candy  (Read 17027 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: Fat Boy's 2014 Photo Eye Candy (spring has sprung down my way)
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2014, 07:43 AM »
My buddy Howard hit a small lake a couple hours from home that is one of our favorite day trips.  Expectations were high considering our success here the past few years, as we proceeded to launch the S.S. Fat Boy.  It was nice getting the boat in the water after having it sit in my carport until I had the money to fix the trailer.

Another buddy, Rodger wanted to fish with us that day too, so he brought his scanoe and fished solo.  We’d cross paths throughout the day, mostly to make sure that he was OK and also to see if he was into fish or not.  We had the option of fishing three out of my boat if things weren’t working out for him.  Other than learning to control his scanoe on a windy day, he did pretty well, including catching chain pickerel for the first time.  I think this was his second chainside.

A fish pic, with Rodg having a death grip on the slime rocket!

And for good reason too…these things have teeth, so of course, we told him not to lip them.  He took the advice.  I wish that I had paid more attention to my own advice.  One nice sized chain pickerel that I tried to measure (and didn’t get a length) flipped over the boat and raked his teeth across my hand during his escape:

This pickerel cooperated for a measurement later in the day and went 23 ½” long.  The toothy critter wasn't very long, but was fat and had a big head!

Howard tied into the pickerel too, landing the longest one  that measured 24”:

Conditions were tough during the day, but we did manage to catch a few bass in the process.  Here’s Howard with a decent one.  Most of the bass were on the small side on this trip.

Howard caught a couple slab crappie on a plastic worm, giving him the multi-species award for the day.  I had one hooked and lost it at the boat on a Rat-L-Trap earlier.

Howard with another nice pickerel:

Wanna play kiss the pickerel?  Here’s the business end of ol’ chainsides:

What a great day out there.  The fishing was on the tough side, but the company and scenery were fantastic.  When I want my mind to drift, here is where it goes:

It’s another world altogether with those beautiful cypress trees:

Howard battling a pickerel in the upper end of the lake in some really skinny water.  The bigger bass boats don’t venture up this far.

I finished with thirteen bass and seven chain pickerel.  Howard had similar numbers.  The crankbait bite was hot early, then completely died.  After that, plastic worms were the ticket.  I had seven bite offs to annoy me!  Howard picked up some fish on a chatterbait too.  It was a fun trip, but we were pretty beat at the end of the day.  Even though it was a Friday, there were more boats on the lake than I can ever recall.  Still, I can’t wait to get back there.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Fat Boy's 2014 Photo Eye Candy (off to a good start)
« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2014, 03:04 PM »
Great pictures...   :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:  Wish I could sit in a boat with shorts on...  We had 3"of snow yesterday and a high of 28* today...... >:(
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2014, 03:16 PM »
Yeah, it was 80 degrees on Saturday!  We got a 1/2 inch of snow turned slush last night but melted by the morning.  Tomorrow, back in the mid 50's.  Hopefully, I'll have more pics soon.  

How much ice do y'all have?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2014, 03:34 PM »
In the hart of the Adirondacks some places still have 2 feet..... >:(
   http://www2.cortland.edu/off-campus/outdoor-education-facilities/raquette-lake/webcams.dot
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2014, 04:43 PM »
In the hart of the Adirondacks some places still have 2 feet..... >:(
   http://www2.cortland.edu/off-campus/outdoor-education-facilities/raquette-lake/webcams.dot

Holy cow!!!!  I'm telepathically sending some heat rays to your lake!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Thanks we can use some..
Normally our spring trip would be next Wednesday or the following week.....

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2014, 11:47 PM »
You sure did start the 2014 season off with a bang, congrats on those muskies and some big fat pickerel along with the crappie too.  :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #22 on: Apr 20, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Way to go Fat Boy, great start to your open water season. Congrats on the nice musky, bass, crappie and pickerel. 8)

Good to see folks out already on the water, like Raquettedacker's area, we also got whalloped again with a good amount of snow this time on Good or should I say not so good Friday. :P
There has been hardly any heat to melt the ice, so most of our lakes are still with 4 feet or so of ice. Not sure if we well be open water fish or ice fishing come opening day on May 5th. :-\

WW

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #23 on: Apr 21, 2014, 07:47 AM »
Thanks WW!  That's amazing WW.  I'll send some warming gas in a Northerly direction.  Maybe that will help you and Dom out  ;)

Hopefully, spring will show up for you guys soon.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #24 on: Apr 21, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Here are a couple more pics from a recent trip for tidal bass.  We spent a lot of time chasing stripers which weren't biting that day.  But when we bass fished, we caught several of these (like identical 2 pound twins everywhere).  That's OK, I'll take 'em all day long.

I love this picture.  When unhooking this bass, the crankbait was free and clear, and as I was ready to release it, the next thing you know I look down and this little bugger was chomping down on my line cutter!  It was wedged in there pretty good.  My buddy's suggested that I tie it on and cast it out there  ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #25 on: Apr 21, 2014, 05:52 PM »
 :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: ;D ;D ;D

muskyon46

• Just passin on a family tradition
« Reply #26 on: Apr 23, 2014, 11:41 AM »
Very nice FB, that was one hungry bass. lol Wipers around here are going thru their false spawn right now and the action has been great. I would love to chase some stripes though

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #27 on: Apr 23, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Yeah, FB we could use warm weather for sure. :P
Hope we get enough warm weather to open up a few creeks or rivers at least. Might find a fish or 2 in them. :-\

Nice looking largemouth bass FB. :)
That line cutter might be a new secret lure, you never know.lol. ;)

WW

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #28 on: Apr 28, 2014, 08:46 AM »
Thanks guys.  Sorry, no fish pics this week.  I got out Friday chasing muskies and met the skunkmonster.  My truck broke down on the way home in pouring rain...bad weekend for sure.  I did manage some nice scenery pics though.

Beautiful morning:

Chasin' my buddy's boat to our first spot;

My buddy fishin':

Selfie:

muskyon46

• Just passin on a family tradition
« Reply #29 on: Apr 28, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Sorry to hear about the skunkin and the breakdown FB, looks like when you were on the water it was a nice day though

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.