FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: red horse suckers???  (Read 4163 times)

just/trollin85

red horse suckers???
« on: Apr 17, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Now im not one to eat suckers.. but i keep catchin these and ive heard from a few guys that they are good eating... anybody have a say on that ?   (Red horse suckers)

wallin

Re: red horse suckers???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2012, 08:11 PM »
Humm, let us know will ya-lol
Wallin

yarn em in

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2012, 08:17 PM »
i'v heard that if the water is still cold and you deep fry them their not bad.

Gillinator

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2012, 08:36 PM »
A buddy of mine lives in the bush up in Canada and they get the spring run of suckers and pickle them and its fantastic.

stjosephriverauthority

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2012, 08:42 PM »
there running in the st. joe as well, i seen in NY $12.00 lb. not bad,

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Pickled and smoked, they can be OK. They are not something you want to fillet and poach though! ;D

It's not that the fish has a bad flavor, it is just really super mushy and oily.

asselin24

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Now im not one to eat suckers.. but i keep catchin these and ive heard from a few guys that they are good eating... anybody have a say on that ?   (Red horse suckers)

You catching the suckers in a creek or river? How big are they? Sound like good bait

just/trollin85

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2012, 10:15 PM »
Gettin um in the kank. Bout 20 inches and 3lbs or so. Thanks for the replys. I think ill pass on them sounds like alot of messing around with um lol.....there fun to catch tho!

asselin24

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2012, 05:55 AM »
Big ones. I would try em smoked.  Uncle says there good if you know how to do it

Boomer

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:16 AM »
You can use the cooked meat like salmon and make patties out of them. They do have a lot of small bones in them. Deep frying will "melt" them away. Score the sides in a few places to help with this. I know several people who eat them this way and have eaten what they cook.

stjosephriverauthority

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2012, 11:08 AM »
ya you got to mash it up and make patties out of them.

kevs

« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2012, 04:15 PM »
 They are good smoked (not thru pipe or paper ;)). If you fillet them to eat let them soak in a water/lemon or lime juice mix for several hours, then rinse. Soak in buttermilk for at least an hour before frying. Lemon/lime juice helps to extract some of the oil and taste.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2012, 07:42 PM »
I gave up on trying to make them taste good. I went as far as taking a dozen to a very highly regarded meat market to have them smoked. These people ship their bacon to past presidents and famous chefs, they know how to smoke! The suckers were still.... meh at best.

I love to catch them too, but I release 90%. They ain't hurting anything, they are totally native, and provide high quality forage for game fish. I keep some to use as cut bait for catfish, but that is about it. They make dang good catfish bait!!  ;D

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2012, 05:16 PM »
One trick yo smoking fish is to leave the skin on. i know most anglers know this but some dont. just throwing it out there.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.