FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Canoe repair question  (Read 1071 times)

Smallmouth Squarepants

Canoe repair question
« on: May 07, 2021, 07:51 AM »
So I have a 70's Grumman square stern. The front seat somehow had one of the 4 rivets holding the seat frame to the body fall out. I know that I need to use an aluminum rivet to replace it (to prevent oxidization) but what kind of rivet should I use to replace it? I've never had to fix/replace a rivet on anything and don't want to waste my time and money buying the wrong thing. No need to drill a hole and it doesn't need to be watertight. Would a pop rivet be my best bet?

fishlessman

Re: Canoe repair question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 08:14 AM »
i like drive rivets but you will need a way to clamp or hold the two parts tight. no special tool, just a hammer to tap the center pin. get a box, they come in handy

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 12:11 PM »
You can get structural, closed end aluminum pop rivets, and that's probably what I'd do, but mostly because I have all the tools for pop rivets. If you have a Harbor Freight close you can get a structural pop rivet tool for about $25 I believe. Solid rivets aren't that hard to do and are probably the correct thing to use but you need an air hammer with the right head and a bucking bar to do it. I don't think I've ever used drive rivets as fishlessman suggested but my interests are peaked!

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 01:12 PM »
Thanks Gents! I'll swing over to Harbor Freight (or the Orange or Blue big box). Worst comes to worst and they don't have what I need I can always throw a couple of heavy duty zipties on there (like 2x 50lbs) since the other three rivets are still good and that won't be bearing the brunt of the load. Thanks again!

fishlessman

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 01:19 PM »
You can get structural, closed end aluminum pop rivets, and that's probably what I'd do, but mostly because I have all the tools for pop rivets. If you have a Harbor Freight close you can get a structural pop rivet tool for about $25 I believe. Solid rivets aren't that hard to do and are probably the correct thing to use but you need an air hammer with the right head and a bucking bar to do it. I don't think I've ever used drive rivets as fishlessman suggested but my interests are peaked!

i redid an old mirrorcraft with the solid rivets, you need the right mandrel, a hammer, and help on the other side of the boat. the drive rivets are nice but only above waterline and they come in big diameters as well

swnoel

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 05:59 AM »

I agree... I had some pin holes develop in an aluminum boat and bought some closed end aluminum rivets. I drilled the hole out to the right size dabbed on a little marine silicon and installed them. Them worked great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.