FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: July trip to the cabin  (Read 3885 times)

Hexagenia51

July trip to the cabin
« on: Jul 30, 2020, 03:02 PM »
Just got back from four days at my cabin in Michigan. Amazing how much better the fishing was this trip than the June trip. Fished two small creeks and the Big Manistee River and caught trout on all three. The temperature(80s&90s) was pretty high every day but the streams are spring fed and ice cold so dipping your hat cooled you off really nice! The fish were keying on hoppers, and about destroyed my hopper fly by the end of the trip. Here's a couple pictures. Was really nice to finally do some good fishing! Hex

natahka72

Re: July trip to the cabin
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2020, 08:57 PM »
Nice browns!! If you only had a couple days to small stream fish would you pick the Sauble or Little Manistee around the Big Bass Lake area?  Near Natahka.

RoeBoat

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2020, 10:27 PM »
Glad you had a good trip!  Great looking trout.

iceman260

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2020, 07:07 AM »
Nice browns.

Hexagenia51

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2020, 10:35 AM »
Nice browns!! If you only had a couple days to small stream fish would you pick the Sauble or Little Manistee around the Big Bass Lake area?  Near Natahka.
Thanks Guys! I've never fished the Sauble before so would probably go with the little man! Hex

natahka72

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2020, 06:28 PM »
Thanks Guys! I've never fished the Sauble before so would probably go with the little man! Hex

Thanks Hex!!! Appreciate the advice.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2020, 08:38 PM »
Wow love the colors and red spots on the fresh picture!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Hexagenia51

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2020, 09:31 AM »
Wow love the colors and red spots on he fresh picture!
Ya the right out of the water pictures are always the best. Here's a couple picture of a brown from the little man a few years back. One of the prettiest browns I've ever caught! Hex

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2020, 09:34 AM »
Glad you had a good trip Hex.
I had a trailer on North Bayou on Hamlin Lake 1969-1972. Tons of fun!!!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2020, 10:20 PM »
Ya the right out of the water pictures are always the best. Here's a couple picture of a brown from the little man a few years back. One of the prettiest browns I've ever caught! Hex

Wow!

I may not be raising trout after this year. Summers keep getting warmer and warmer and it's taken it's toll this year. Water temp got too warm and some external parasites went crazy. Got on their gills and they were having trouble breathing. I've lost about 25 fish so far with some browns up to 8 pounds. Treating the pond now with formalin and things may be getting better.

I don't want to put in a bigger well pump as I won't want to run my neighbor's wells dry. I could raise them indoors in pole building in a recirculating system using much much less water, but not sure if I want to build as I'm not sure what's going to happen with the economy and the virus. No sales lately as the virus has shut down taxidermy shows and shipping is iffy for frozen fish regular ground. And trout raised in tanks and raceways are usually not as nice as those raised in ponds. Fun times!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Hexagenia51

« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2020, 10:41 PM »
Sorry to hear about your fish problems, I know the high temps are brutal on salmonoids  in general! Some fishery guys predict the total loss of our stream Trout in North America if global temperatures keep rising. Sure hope we can turn things around! Hex

Hexagenia51

« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2020, 08:09 AM »
I decided to tie a few Hoppers for my next trip to the cabin, probably later in August. Here's what I came up with. Their called "Morrish Hoppers" and are all foam and rubber legs. Later Hex

RoeBoat

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2020, 08:11 AM »
Those look really good Hex, I'd bite that!

tater140

« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2020, 08:31 AM »
Those look awesome.  I would like to learn to tie nice flies someday, right now time is tough to come by for me.  I've had to tone down my hobbies... but maybe someday I could tie something as nice as those.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #14 on: Aug 12, 2020, 08:36 AM »
Great job Hex! Those look great!!!
I'm not in to foam but those are impressive!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.