FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Where to begin on the Salmon River?  (Read 5933 times)

tommyboy

Where to begin on the Salmon River?
« on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:01 PM »
Hey Guys,

Any suggestions on where to start out on the salmon river for a guy that doesn't have a boat?  I want to be able to give it a try this spring, hopefully in an area that does not get too crowded.  Any help would be appreciated.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

deerslayer92163

Re: Where to begin on the Salmon River?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:52 PM »
i would try the tressle pool myself thats the first place i go when i get into town and start fishing they sell river maps at the bait shop next to the diner off 81

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2004, 01:25 PM »
if you can; fish the middle of the week,i do and you will know why after fishing on the week end. try the abandoned trestle pool, it is off of rt 13 better yet
take the time and go in the back way,of sheepskin rd.or right by the side road
park-be careful where- and go over the hill to the river,it is a walk but most of the time no "a holes" drift a egg sack, real or a fly[egg sack] in yellow chartruse
from 10:00 to 3:00. if you are not losing  eggs or flys then you are not fishing
with the right lead. you must be on the bottom and you will will lose  eggs
fish from infront of you to the far shore. they  WILL TAKE A EGG OR FLY because
the fish MUST PROTECT THE EGGS,
GOOD LUCK
BOBl   
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

scottcny

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2004, 02:01 PM »
The old trestle hole is a good starting point. I've done my best from there up river to Almar and the school house pool. From the trestle there is a nice run just a short walk up river that can be great in the spring. It's all undercut bank and you can fish it from the bottom with lead or drift bobbers through as well.

reubenpa

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2004, 04:26 PM »
where is the tressle pool?
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

deerslayer92163

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2004, 04:40 PM »
if you get one of those maps you ll find it easy tha map is an aerial photo of the river any of the bait shop should have them if i remember right they were under 5 bucks dont know for sure with inflation and all i bought mine 7 yrs ago

reubenpa

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2004, 04:58 PM »
thanks
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2004, 08:53 PM »
I think the black hole and lettle black hole are nice steallie holes. If the water is high there is no way you can get down into the little black hole. Park in the lot on the hill not on the road, you could get a ticket. The black hole is the first public fishing hole above D.N.R. Good luck.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

bigdave1018

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2004, 07:20 AM »
most of the tackle shops will give you info and directions on where and what to fish with. its a big river so be careful tight lines and stay dry.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2004, 07:50 AM »
The Altmar area usuallly fishes well for me, I have beat my self up fishing that river over the years and now I just fish mainly from Ellis cove to the Upper Fly zone... If you do not mind having to pay to fish the Douglaston area is pretty good also...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2004, 11:43 AM »
I fished the Salmon River for the first time last year in October from DSR, It was ok if you don't mind paying to fish.  Also tried the Little Black Hole,  that was nice,  got into some fish there. I was thinking about taking my canoe up there this year and try the estuary from the park.  Has anyone tried that and  and what's the best technique to catch salmon from there?  Looks like a good way to avoid crowds.  ?????                                                                           J
GONE FISH'G.......

deerslayer92163

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2004, 01:10 PM »
if you have a small boat or a big boat for that matter try the mouth at night we do really well from 10:00 on till just after dawn

Jigwiggler

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2004, 04:15 PM »
if you have a small boat or a big boat for that matter try the mouth at night we do really well from 10:00 on till just after dawn

Deerslayer,

I was going to try that last fall when I was there.  Boated 4 fish in the afternoon, went to turn on the lights right before dark and they wouldn't work.  So we had to head in.  I saw a lot of boats heading out though.  How do you get them, trolling J's or floats and skein?  I saw guys doing both.

Jigwiggler
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2004, 07:40 PM »
well my family has been fishing salmon for well over twenty five years in the salmon river area. my favorite place is definetly orwell creek, its just my favorite style of fishing i can actually stalk fish there and catch em

deerslayer92163

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2004, 09:27 PM »
my first time i sat there all night with my lights on but all the other boats out there had theres off theres usually 10-15 drift boats out there also noone uses lights it spooks the fish i use egg sacks i tie myself with different color material best luck with hot pink and blue soak them in smelly jelly use a slip sinker with a splitshot for a stop remember the new regulation no more than a four foot leader between the weight and the hook i like a 6-9' leader but cant anymore also put some of those styrofoam balls in your sacks to make them float up towards the surface

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.