FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flyrod brookie.... released  (Read 10738 times)

gonehuntin97

Re: Flyrod brookie.... released
« Reply #30 on: Jun 17, 2012, 12:04 AM »
After much deliberation and speaking with a veteran local fish biologist is is most defanitley a splake.  they are planted in one of the local lakes just we are not exactly sure how it ended up in this tributary that is not connected in any way to water that has splake.

fishfins

« Reply #31 on: Jun 17, 2012, 08:17 PM »
After much deliberation and speaking with a veteran local fish biologist is is most defanitley a splake.  they are planted in one of the local lakes just we are not exactly sure how it ended up in this tributary that is not connected in any way to water that has splake.

From the sounds of some replies that were posted,  I don't think your finding will change the minds of those who are unwilling to admit they were mistaken. That said, it was nice that you were able to reinforce  the same identification I was given. Your splake is nonetheless a BEAUTIFUL fish!! 

Goatskin

« Reply #32 on: Jun 17, 2012, 10:30 PM »
If your referring to me I will man up and say I was wrong. But since this debate was started another thread on the identification of splake and brook trout has been started. I'm not saying what it is because honestly I don't know anymore. But the only way to tell what it truly is, is to count the number of "pyloric caeca" on the intestinal tract.
http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=54277.15
Its on the second page. So since there is no tried and true method to determining the species without killing it, and the angler did not (which is awesome for realeasing such a trophy) were not going to know the truth.

fishfins

« Reply #33 on: Jun 18, 2012, 06:21 PM »
 No, I wasn't referring to you, but rather others who said (Their opinion) that is was definitely a brookie. I said from the git/go that I wasn't sure of it's identity.....just that it didn't look "right." I submitted the photo to professionals just like the OP did and THEY are the ones who said it wasn't a brook trout. Anyone who disputes the identification of fish by fisheries biologists can take it up with them.  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.