FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Can wun of the 15 Modaratas Hepl?  (Read 6590 times)

tommyboy

Can wun of the 15 Modaratas Hepl?
« on: Mar 11, 2004, 11:25 AM »
I thought that this forum was supposed to have a spell check on it.  Is it here and I'm just missing it?  That been know to happen in the past.  I just love good grammar and spelling.  Thanks.

And the 15 Mods thing is just a joke.  For some reason I find humor in it.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
Re: Can wun of the 15 Modaratas Hepl?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2004, 11:41 AM »
tommyboy:

I like good grammer also. If you know what the person is saying though, what does it matter?

Nobody is perfect.

I'm sure there is a good reason for the # of moderators otherwise there wouldn't be as many.
Harold

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2004, 12:43 PM »
Tommyboy,
You'll have to check your own spelling till the site is fully up and running.

The moderators here are also part of the 9200 member IceShanty team. This site has picked up over 400 members in a few weeks and there's no reason to doubt it will surpass the Shanty in membership.

We all help out in our own areas so ADMIN can keep upgrading the forums. Many hands make light work.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2004, 12:44 PM »
tommyboy,
There is no spell check that I know of on iceshanty or this site. Like howey1176 said NO ONE IS PERFECT. If someone miss spell's a word or uses bad grammar it happens .Most of the time you still know or understand what that person is talking about. You need this many moderators to check each state for improper word's or posts that are improper. I know Doug look’s after NJ & NY

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2004, 01:13 PM »
When this site is up to speed the number of moderators will seem small. this site is going to be awesome. stay tuned for bigger and better things. well spoken RG.

HIMO
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

Browntrout08

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:52 PM »
Tommyboy, me like good gramer and speling  two.  I don't look at this site or Iceshanty like writing essays, but more like people talking to one another.  I'm sorry, but I'm guilty of not referring to my dictionary when posting. Is anybody else guilty?  I will frequent this site just like I do Iceshanty and it seems like the moderators don't take any crap.  I like that.

tommyboy

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:14 PM »
Hey, I just want to be able to use the spellchecker, that's all.  In a perfect world, everybody would care about how they present themselves, and would take a little pride even when they are just posting to a fishing message board.  But this isn't a perfect world, and if it were, I wouldn't have to worry about needing a stupid spellchecker.

Shawn - Yea, most of the time you can understand everyone else's posts.  Sometimes you can't though.  I think some people care more about having the most posts than looking like an idiot.  But I don't really care about them.  I just want everyone to be able to understand all the wisdom I have to share!

The 15 moderater thing is a JOKE.  Lighten up people, please.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

dachmation

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2004, 09:40 PM »
Tommyboy:
Scott is currently working on spellchecker, not yet operational.
Mike
""TIGHT LINES"

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2004, 06:34 AM »
Hey tommyboy. relax and enjoy your stay here at myfishfinder. Our jobs as a moderator is to ensure that the general member has a pleasant visit here with us. with 50 states and all the canadian provinces to monitor plus all the other forums, 15 moderators is not alot at all. don't forget we do not sit up and monitor this site all day and nite. we have to sleep and work. there are not 15 of us moderating all at the same time. I hope I was able to address some of your concerns.

HIMO
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2004, 08:04 AM »
Tommyboy,
Way back when Scott was starting to think about this new site, he mentioned the spell check option  to the mods as something we all needed.

Not many of us type or spell as well as we'd like. I use my Netscape Composer all the time to check words I'm not sure of. It's my mom's fault. She was a teacher for 40 years.

As for typing...I'm seriously thinking about getting a type/teach program...maybe I'm not too old and can learn to use a couple more fingers. My thumbs get tired.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2004, 08:05 AM »
The 15 moderater thing is a JOKE.  Lighten up people, please.

Tommyboy, this site would normally require about 5 or 6 moderators, but with you here we need 15 ;D  (I'm just joking too!). 

A spellchecker would be cool.  I'm a stickler for spelling myself, in fact, kinda anal about it except for intentional misspellings.  It would be a nice feature.  Sometimes when I'm typing at warp speed (20 wpm for me), my fat fingers tend to hit more keys than they are supposed to, or simply ignore what my feeble brain is trying to tell them what to type.  Still, I refrain from lopping them off as my post count would be zero without them unless Scott kindly adds 50,000 to my total.

By the way, everyone, post counts are relatively meaningless with regard to fishing knowledge etc., they are kind of a fun thing for us to see who's active and who isn't.

I much prefer to read someone who posts less but with more quality to their posts.   To me, respect for someones fishing knowledge can be appreciated based on what they say, but even more important that is the respect that you earn on the water (or ice) with your fellow anglers.

Usually, I try to bring something to the table that would benefit other people, either experts or beginners, and make my posts worth reading as much as possible.  I don't expect everyone to do that, but I certainly appreciate it when they do.  I've learned a lot from Iceshanty members (and also some riversmallies.com members) and hope that I contribute in return, and hope that continues here. 

fozsey

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2004, 11:18 AM »
I use MS Word all the time to check the spelling of words I am not sure of. I have noticed over the years that what I knew how to spell 10 years ago is sometimes foggy now. No one is perfect, but spelling and grammar do influence what everyone percieves your education level is. I hate to say it, but I do look closely at grammar and spelling when I read something. It is something that I was taught to do for my job and it had a big impact on the people I did business with.

Brian

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2004, 11:02 PM »
My solution to my poor spelling and sorry typing follows. Still have not found anything for gettin' me good grammer.   :)

One way to do the spell check thing is to open Word (or a similar program) and use it to compose your message or post. After finishing the text, use the spell check feature. Then copy and paste the corrected text into the site's message box.

Works real well once you get used to doing it. Really takes no additional time at all.

I use it mainly for longer posts and did not use it for this one. (Hope I spelled everything all right).   

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2004, 04:28 AM »
Actually 14 of us moderators watch Fat Boy....he watches this forum.

Kinda like a government job...takes 1 to use the shovel and 14 to tell him how he should use the it.

RG

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2004, 06:20 PM »
Reelcatcher gosh darn it,  you beat me to it.
RG,  once again, you are right on the money.
Tommyboy,  I got your joke and here's one for you;  What does Tigger see in the Toilet?

Pooh!  :)

P.S.  I really did get your joke and I really like the one I posted for you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.