FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What kind of line?  (Read 2049 times)

timbertom

What kind of line?
« on: Mar 29, 2006, 07:05 AM »
What line is everyone using this year?  Have heard great things about the new Gamma flurocarbon.  Going to give it a try.

carpcatcher

Re: What kind of line?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2006, 10:11 AM »
I use to always use mono and switched a few of my reel's to fireline the past few years. This year I am trying some powerpro braided since it has a smaller diameter than fireline. Like slipbob said, you can't beat superline's for the casting.
        Jim
Love 2 fish

OTIS

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2006, 10:13 AM »
If I'm jigging for walleye I use 2/4 Fireline, if I'm chucking sticks for walleye, trout, and panfish I use 4lb mono (Trilene XL or Cajun Red).  I rarely go for anything else, but I never use over 6lb mono on my spinning rods, and I use 8lb or 10lb mono on my casting rods.  Fishboy has got me talked into trying some of the new braided line, but I haven't yet.  I love the sensativity of the Fileline, but my knots don't seem to hold up well with anything other than jigs.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Hood

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2006, 10:15 AM »
fireline 6-10 lb depending on the setup. Mono I use Berkley Xt in lo-vis green....For floro I like stren....vanish blows, it has crappy knot strength and even worse abrasion resistance.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Hood

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2006, 10:28 AM »
along those lines....i found that if you make 8-10 twists instead of 4-5 with an improved clinch the fireline will hold much better...I was pullin knots out when I first used it but now its not an issue... :)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

flipstick

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2006, 10:29 AM »
I am currently using Trilene XL, iron silk, fireline, spiderwire fusion, and Stren super braid in various situations.  I really like the super braid and I'm probably going to replace the fireline and spiderwire with it this year. :-\

MikeVT

• Wishin I was Fishin!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2006, 12:12 PM »
6lb supermono - stuff is thin and almost unbreakable with very little stretch.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2006, 01:03 PM »
One rod has 12 lb  fireline and 4 feet of 12lb vanish, the other rod had 10lb cajun red fishing line this will be my first year trying is so should be interesting. :)

Do you folks perfer the a certain color of fireline, I know they have the florescent green like I am using, smoke and hot pink.

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

timbertom

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2006, 01:06 PM »
I like the smoke.

marshrat

« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2006, 01:49 PM »
doesn't really matter what kind as long as its over 10 pound test and has no stretch

Anyone want to guess what I'm fishing for and what kind of fishing I'm doing i will give you 1 more hint its on keuka lake
Chris Neal
Twin Tier Angling Board
DON'T LEAVE FISH TO FIND FISH!!!!!

GO TEAM PA

OTIS

« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2006, 02:41 PM »
I tie direct to stickbaits all the time with it OTIS for nightcasting and haven't had ANY knot troubles.  I just use a Palomar or improved clinch.  It has amazing knot strength and you just need to wet it a little.  Try again because you'll be able to cast a Thunderstick or Rapala a heck of a lot farther into the darkness of Oneida lake and feel every little wobble on that stickbait much, much better than you will with any mono I'll tell ya that.  You're losing some serious casting distance and some walleyes if you don't. 

When you say direct, do you remove the split rings from your baits?

Thanks
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2006, 02:43 PM »
I have been using FIRELINE since it came out.  It is an awesome line.  I have tried others like spiderwire and the Stren braid, and they do not compare favorably.  Each of them broke easily, and the Stren braid tangled a lot.  With fireline, I can feel a tiny piece of weed or a zebra mussel on a #10 Husky Jerk trolled 150 feet behind the boat.  TROLLING TIP:  Always hold the line over your forefinger for increased sensitivity.  I can almost feel the wake of a walleye behind my lure!  ;D
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2006, 02:47 PM »
Do you folks perfer the a certain color of fireline, I know they have the florescent green like I am using, smoke and hot pink.
WW

I like smoke.  But the green has performed well in dingy water, and the St. Lawrence.  The green also accepts magic marker, so you can 'camoflage' 3 or 4 feet in front of your lure.
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

Fishingking

« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2006, 03:00 PM »
4 lb Trilene XL for pannies smaller trout and Largemouth.
6 lb Trilene xl for bigger bass and 20" or so trout.
8lb power pro for lure fishing these same fish :)

15 lb power pro for everything else trout, smallies  and w/e else
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

bigdave1018

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2006, 07:33 PM »
6 lb. sigma and or bps mr crappie pro 4 lb test in gold and camo. the price was right and the line works for me. my one pike rod has 12 lb trilene xl line for bobber and shiner fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.