FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Muddy Waters  (Read 1004 times)

River_Hermit

Muddy Waters
« on: Apr 09, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Anyone have any tips on how to deal with the muddy raging waters so common at this time of year? Trying to get out this weekend, but with all the rain and snow the rivers are going to be similar to boiling chocolate milk.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Re: Muddy Waters
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2020, 09:48 AM »
I deal best with the early season flow and color problems by avoiding the bigger waters and focusing on the brooks and streams. They have smaller drainages and rarely blow out for long, if at all.  Lake outlets can also be worth a look.

seamonkey84

« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2020, 10:00 AM »
What Jim said, plus check the ponds as they can be more stable productive. Cast to areas you’d normally go after panfish and bass.
If it’s rivers you want, fish the flooded banks and behind brush, anywhere that has slower water and shelter.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2020, 11:45 AM »
I fish them, always have.  Not in Maine but in lots of spots in New England.  Fish the edges, fish closer to shore.  Sometimes flies with a bit of a hot spot will do the trick.  I've found trout will run into any flooded brush or wood available. The other considerations are there is more biomass in the drift...and small baitfish are more likely to move around in stained water.  Ive had success fishing rivers at 3000 cfs that typically run 3-500cfs. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.