FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spring walleye help  (Read 19712 times)

BBK

Re: Spring walleye help
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 11:06 AM »
I've always had the best luck jigging walleye in the spring. Lightest jig you can get away with and still hold in the current/wind. Usually 1/8 oz or 1/16 here. 6 or 8lb test. Hop and drag it along the bottom, most of the time they will be hanging on it when you pick it up.

TheDL

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 11:54 AM »
thanks BBK - I've got 3 days 'till my first tournament, I'm pretty pumped.  I'm looking for any tips you guys might have.  We're planning on going out midnight on friday nite, and fishing through the night.  So far, the game plan is to throw crank/stick baits around shallower flats near tributary rivers and if that doesn't work we're going bottom bouncing/trolling around the bay of quinte looking for them with live bait.  The water is still pretty cold up here, water level is HIGH, and it's been raining a lot - weather looks like cool and rainy, and it'll be 4th straight day of low pressure front.  Am I heading down the right path with this gameplan? ???
tight lines....

BBK

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 12:05 PM »
Cold, muddy, high water... wouldnt be throwing lures or trolling thats for sure. I'd be crawling live bait on the bottom on a jig head.

TheDL

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 12:39 PM »
right on BBK, sounds good - you ever use those worm harnesses/spinner rigs?
this is what I bought:
http://www.basspro.com/Northland-Fishing-Tackle-Live-Bait-Walleye-Spinner-Kit/product/78236/-1241774
and
http://www.basspro.com/Lindy®-NoSnagg®-Rig-Kit/product/30017/-832761
any tips on rigging this stuff - I've never used anything like it - also, tips for presentation?  I've heard slow, that's about it.
tight lines....

BBK

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 08:27 PM »
right on BBK, sounds good - you ever use those worm harnesses/spinner rigs?
this is what I bought:
http://www.basspro.com/Northland-Fishing-Tackle-Live-Bait-Walleye-Spinner-Kit/product/78236/-1241774
and
http://www.basspro.com/Lindy®-NoSnagg®-Rig-Kit/product/30017/-832761
any tips on rigging this stuff - I've never used anything like it - also, tips for presentation?  I've heard slow, that's about it.

Oh yeah, those are great in the hot of the summer. Look on youtube, there are many videos on how to make your own harnesses/spinners.

Hook it up behind a bottom bouncer or a lindy no-snag weight and drag it along rock structure or sand bars. Anywhere from .2mph to 2.5mph depending on how active the fish are.

the jigs up

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Cold, muddy, high water... wouldnt be throwing lures or trolling thats for sure. I'd be crawling live bait on the bottom on a jig head.

I have to agree as I've said before, slow and sensitive. right on bottom. feel the weight or a tap and set the hook.
BORN TO FISH...FORCED TO WORK... TO PAY FOR FISHING...

joes spot

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2011, 10:14 AM »
cold & muddy- slow with brite & loud lures

TheDL

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2011, 11:06 AM »
thanks for the tips guys.  I couldn't manage to find the walleyes last night/this morning - but I'll be out again tommorow at a different spot on Bay of Quinte.  I tried all suggestions here, everything in the tackle box; only managed small pike.

tight lines....

BBK

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 08:40 AM »
thanks for the tips guys.  I couldn't manage to find the walleyes last night/this morning - but I'll be out again tommorow at a different spot on Bay of Quinte.  I tried all suggestions here, everything in the tackle box; only managed small pike.

Look for sand, they should be pre spawn, spawning or just done so they will be close to the spawning areas.

GonefishingWy

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2011, 10:04 PM »
what is the best temp to look for to have the best luck. We have a lake in WY that has alot of walleyes and no limit just looking for the best chance to catch a few.

JPjunkie

• Slingin it out Slingin em in
« Reply #40 on: Apr 05, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Dynamite is the way to go Short wick and fast legs ;D ;D ;D

Poiigas

« Reply #41 on: Apr 14, 2013, 12:30 PM »
creek chubs or some other baitfish in shallow water in the evening, preferably near where a stream dumps in.  shallow sand bars are great too.

Fritzie3

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 01:28 PM »
Spring walleye

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.