FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trout harvest has begun from the trophy pond!  (Read 4018 times)

taxid

Trout harvest has begun from the trophy pond!
« on: Oct 14, 2019, 12:25 PM »
Some big brooks.

Yeah, yeah I know I feed them too much and I'm not comparing this to public water or wild trout.  ;D. I just thought some of you might be interested in the eye candy.

But the taxidermists I selll them to love the big brook males! :rotflol:

Just wish they would have longer life spans so I could grow them to 8 or 10 pounds.  They burn out at 3 to 4 years of age. These two I hatched almost 3 years ago.

These fish were in 4.29 pounds to 5.85 pounds. 18 and 21 inches.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

deerhunter

Re: Trout harvest has begun from the trophy pond!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2019, 12:46 PM »
ya need any help catching thse fat fish. colder water they live longer

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2019, 06:09 AM »
ya need any help catching thse fat fish. colder water they live longer

I have plenty of help but if you want to make the drive... ;D

Yes they live longer in colder water, however they grow faster in the upper end of their metabolism which is mid 60's F. The excess feeding is what really shortens their life spans... These fish are almost 3 years old btw.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:33 AM »
Wow, those are amazing fish!

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:43 AM »
 Super nice fish 👍 fish don’t have to be giants to make great mounts

seamonkey84

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2019, 09:01 AM »
Do you need to call airline control before you land one of those? Lol. Yea, those living in cold water live longer and can grow big... there was a bio doing a survey in Canada and they caught a 30” brookie!
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Do you need to call airline control before you land one of those? Lol. Yea, those living in cold water live longer and can grow big... there was a bio doing a survey in Canada and they caught a 30” brookie!

Have a link or anything about the brookie? I’d love to read about that.

seamonkey84

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2019, 01:48 PM »
I saw the post/article a year or two ago, pretty sure it was in the fly fishing forum. I can’t find it now, but as I recall, it was either a sea run or lake run “coaster”.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:19 PM »
Super nice fish 👍 fish don’t have to be giants to make great mounts

Very true.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2019, 11:23 AM »

:rotflol:

Speaking of air control, a Great Blue Heron is now taking interest in the pond now that I had to take a lot of the lines down to fish it. I've run him off twice now with the gun. He may not get a third chance as I have a state and federal permit to take him out. I already have one large brook trout swimming around with a hole in his back. These birds don't care how big the fish are and that they can't swallow them. They jab at anything that moves.

I feel bad as they are only doing what's natural, but they are as common as flies here with 100 lakes in my county. And very few predators.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2019, 09:05 AM »
whats the scratches on that ones back bobcat? lol

Wrinkles!

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2019, 09:06 AM »
my cousin had them killing bass in his pond.  found them laying there dead with holes poked in them.

those are some awesome colored fish man. :thumbup_smilie:

Let me get your 9 pound bass replica done really really soon and you can fish when you come to pick it up?

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2019, 03:23 PM »

Speaking of air control, a Great Blue Heron is now taking interest in the pond now that I had to take a lot of the lines down to fish it. I've run him off twice now with the gun. He may not get a third chance as I have a state and federal permit to take him out. I already have one large brook trout swimming around with a hole in his back. These birds don't care how big the fish are and that they can't swallow them. They jab at anything that moves.

I feel bad as they are only doing what's natural, but they are as common as flies here with 100 lakes in my county. And very few predators.

Don't feel bad.  They have opportunities elsewhere.  The main river I fly fish has been low this year.  The number of trout with heron injuries increased significantly.

seamonkey84

« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2019, 03:56 PM »
Wrinkles!
I can’t take credit for these, but here goes
Your trout is so fat it can’t hold in a run, it has to hold in a waddle!
Your trout is so fat when stoned hippies see it they yell, “Wow, double rainbow!”

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2019, 08:13 PM »
I can’t take credit for these, but here goes
Your trout is so fat it can’t hold in a run, it has to hold in a waddle!
Your trout is so fat when stoned hippies see it they yell, “Wow, double rainbow!”

I've had trout farmers tell me my fish are disgusting. :rotflol: But they only get a couple of bucks per pound when I get at least $25.00 a pound.  ;D Even had a Purdue grad student tell me once he heard I didn't do much in aquaculture when I was doing a aquaculture presentation at Ball State University. I should have told him how much I get per pound, my labor works for free, and I don't have to slaughter the fish. And most are already sold before I list them.

My overhead isn't too bad either as it's my property. We had the biggest perch farm in the world go out of business here because they weren't smart enough to know they couldn't compete with commercial fishermen due to their overhead raising the perch indoors. 20 million dollars they wasted! That farm is now a genetically modified salmon farm run by a company in Massachusetts. Probably bought the farm for a steal!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.