FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: what size fly rod  (Read 2553 times)

troutaddict97

• Life member North American Fishing Club
what size fly rod
« on: Mar 20, 2012, 10:07 AM »
Hello, does anyone know what size fly rod is good for trout?
‎"... standing in a cool stream with a mountain range or a meadow nearby, fly rod in hand and cigar in mouth, is the way God meant mankind to live."
-- Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

lobsterman

Re: what size fly rod
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2012, 10:10 AM »
a6-7 wt is good wherei fish

fishlessman

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2012, 10:54 AM »
3 weight if your a small dry fly fisherman, 5 or 6 weight for all purpose dry, nymphing and streamers. i fish with a 5 weight 90 percent of the time but the six wieght has better line selections.

troutaddict97

• Life member North American Fishing Club
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2012, 10:55 AM »
ok thanks guys
‎"... standing in a cool stream with a mountain range or a meadow nearby, fly rod in hand and cigar in mouth, is the way God meant mankind to live."
-- Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

MEyota79

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:18 PM »
If you are fishing mostly streams, rivers, and ponds i would go with a 4wt 5 at most. I would also stay under 8ft long if you are fishing small trout brooks easier to cast with the alders behind you! At least until you get the roll cast down ;D

Bowdoin boy

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2012, 03:02 PM »
I use a 5wt works great for Trout/Salmon very versatile,all depends on what kind of water you fish.Small streams i would use 3-4wt.and the type of line you use for trout/salmon will be different.I would go to Beans if you live close to it,they can help you out alot.
Live Life like its your last time out!!

kevinmaine3

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2012, 04:24 PM »
I have a 5,6 and 7 wt, I like using, I just got a new 3wt last year, beans, quest 2, 6ft6in and it was only 69$ pretty cheap and fun, easy to cast. And I can fish in tighter areas now.
The last time I saw a mouth like that it had a hook in it....

chrisminmaine

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2012, 06:28 PM »
I have a 5,6 and 7 wt, I like using, I just got a new 3wt last year, beans, quest 2, 6ft6in and it was only 69$ pretty cheap and fun, easy to cast. And I can fish in tighter areas now.

I have a 6 1/2 foot 3 wt that I use on small brooks.  It's a blast to use and about as nimble as you can get. 

Epkomd

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2012, 07:23 PM »
i have a 4wt that i like for the small trout streams... want a three wt. picked up a 5 wt that i have yet to try for remote trout ponds.

cjg

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2012, 11:29 AM »
9' 5wt for most general trout fishing, 9' 6wt if you plan on fishing more streamers, heavy nymphs, 7 1/2' 4wt if you plan on fishing mostly small rivers/streams.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.