FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 98797 times)

bogtrotter

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #255 on: Dec 19, 2019, 10:41 AM »
Jim water temp in the stretch I was in was mid 40's, very bearable.

Nice job.

It wasn't so much the cold as the water levels (which were roaring when I posted) that I was referring to.

Plus the fact that fishing in the "big" streams out this way declines precipitously after November - - partly because most of the stockies have been caught or otherwise died, and the trout that remain become (relatively) inactive - - although fishing for brookies in the smaller streams is generally more dependable.

I know from reports by others that the Swift River (i.e., the one near Quabbin) does a good job of "holding over" into the winter, and I gather from your report that the Farmington (or was this the lower Housatonic?)  does so as well, but it always leaves me surprised (and a bit envious) to hear of others catching multiple trout on larger streams into the depths of winter.

lowaccord66

« Reply #256 on: Dec 20, 2019, 10:10 AM »
This was the Farmington Jim.  It helps that its a bottom drawn tail water.  So the temps stay moderate.

westernmas

« Reply #257 on: Dec 20, 2019, 12:10 PM »
This was the Farmington Jim.  It helps that its a bottom drawn tail water.  So the temps stay moderate.

Same is true for the swift.  They stay at pretty stable temps for most of the year.  Days that get into the 40s you will start seeing winter caddis crawling up the snowbanks.  Those are the days the trout should become more active.  Jim, the housy in Lee fishes well in the winter but most people I know are throwing very small midge flies.  A small piece of a worm might be able to do the trick but I've never personally fished it in the winter.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #258 on: Dec 20, 2019, 07:39 PM »
Fished today from 3 to 5...1 decent brown on a midge.  Broke the tip off the thomas & thomas on a cast.  I guess that's why they reinforced this year's version of the contact.  Its going back to them and the rest of my long rods will be taken out of the truck and put away until spring.

zwiggles

« Reply #259 on: Dec 20, 2019, 09:20 PM »
Fished today from 3 to 5...1 decent brown on a midge.  Broke the tip off the thomas & thomas on a cast.  I guess that's why they reinforced this year's version of the contact.  Its going back to them and the rest of my long rods will be taken out of the truck and put away until spring.

That had to hurt... I would assume a company with that reputation is going to at least soften the blow on a replacement?

lowaccord66

« Reply #260 on: Dec 24, 2019, 06:02 PM »
That had to hurt... I would assume a company with that reputation is going to at least soften the blow on a replacement?

Lifetime warranty. For the 900 bucks the rod cost I'd certainly hope so.

lowaccord66

« Reply #261 on: Jan 05, 2020, 09:38 AM »
No time to ice fish today so I'm picking up the new Thomas and Thomas, sending the old one back and doing some indicator fishing. 

Pat I will have an extra euro setup for you to try! 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #262 on: Jan 06, 2020, 03:05 PM »
I hope you crushed them Jon! I would take you up on some euro lessons.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #263 on: Jan 06, 2020, 03:58 PM »
I hope you crushed them Jon! I would take you up on some euro lessons.

I did not.  Some nonprofit guy was in line at the shop before me and the tax exempt paperwork took forever.  I dropped my kid off with her mom and was right near the river...I decided ice fishing was what I was after...drove home and did neither.

Mike you are on.  Lets talk about this before April.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #264 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:08 AM »
I did not.  Some nonprofit guy was in line at the shop before me and the tax exempt paperwork took forever.  I dropped my kid off with her mom and was right near the river...I decided ice fishing was what I was after...drove home and did neither.

Mike you are on.  Lets talk about this before April.

You know it man. Its your gear and your time, let me know when you are free and I will make it work.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #265 on: Jan 11, 2020, 07:33 PM »
Didn't feel like ice fishing in the warm weather so I took the new T&T for a test drive.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #266 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:35 AM »
Nice work and beautiful fish!
Wicked Wec

filetandrelease

« Reply #267 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:31 PM »

Nice fish 👍

Bartman44

« Reply #268 on: Jan 15, 2020, 07:04 PM »
Nice fish. Way to take advantage of the balmy weather.

lowaccord66

« Reply #269 on: Jan 18, 2020, 12:03 PM »
Thanks guys!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.