FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey folks, I Need input on a Fishfinder  (Read 3457 times)

Huge

Hey folks, I Need input on a Fishfinder
« on: Oct 03, 2016, 06:41 PM »
I've been looking to buy a good fishfinder for my boat. I will be using it mostly on Flathead. I would really like one with a 7" screen, but I have no idea what other options are really worthwhile. I'm sure there are a million opinions, but I'm open to any.

Strippnthedream

• Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
Re: Hey folks, I Need input on a Fishfinder
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2016, 08:44 PM »
I've been looking to buy a good fishfinder for my boat. I will be using it mostly on Flathead. I would really like one with a 7" screen, but I have no idea what other options are really worthwhile. I'm sure there are a million opinions, but I'm open to any.

If it was me I'd go with the hummingbird helix 10 or any hummingbird onyx series. They have the active map feature which lets you build your own maps of the lake on the fly really sweet feature.
YuppieH8R!

So good with my rod I make fish come!

sra61

« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2016, 05:27 PM »
If it was me I'd go with the hummingbird helix 10 or any hummingbird onyx series. They have the active map feature which lets you build your own maps of the lake on the fly really sweet feature.
I second the vote for the Humminbird Helix 10. I totally love mine. I have the Side Imaging version and it gives you the option to add a 360° transducer and with a Minnkota Powerdrive or Terrova electric you can use the "Follow the Contour" feature which makes trolling a hands free deal, and is really nice. The only thing I don't like about the interface between the Terrova and the "Follow the Contour" feature is that you have to use a Lakemaster map card and for Flathead it's not HD, and mine is not very accurate, which can be worked around, but for the money you would think they would have it a little more accurate. The "Autochart Live" feature is also really cool. I haven't really used mine any where near to it's potential, but there is a lot of potential there!

fishin7

• Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2016, 07:40 PM »
I would avoid the Onix units.  They are slow to boot and need to be constantly updated.  Not to mention Humminbird is no longer manufacturing the Onix series.  The Helix Series are good reliable units and some what affordable.   

Strippnthedream

« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2016, 05:37 PM »
I would avoid the Onix units.  They are slow to boot and need to be constantly updated.  Not to mention Humminbird is no longer manufacturing the Onix series.  The Helix Series are good reliable units and some what affordable.   

Bummer they looked like a very sweet unit. All the searching I've done has for sure put me on 2 the helix 10 best bang for your buck for sure.
YuppieH8R!

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2016, 05:50 PM »
Bummer they looked like a very sweet unit. All the searching I've done has for sure put me on 2 the helix 10 best bang for your buck for sure.

What's the 2nd unit?

Strippnthedream

« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2016, 09:30 PM »
What's the 2nd unit?

Second would probly be lowrance hds9 gen3. Pricey though.
YuppieH8R!

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2016, 06:23 AM »
Oh.  Thanks.

I have the HDS 9 Gen2
Also a HDS 8 Gen2
They are networked with the cable.

Stole the 8 from Cabelas as a remanufactured unit from the factory with a full warranty for only $649
Lowrance allowed me to upgrade my HDS 5 Gen2 when it started freezing due to the networking with the 8.
I upgraded to the 9 for only $349

I would wait until about mid winter.
Lowrance and Humminbird both have sweet deals on older units when the new stuff comes out.
That's how the 8 became available so cheap.

BTW, if I had to do it over again, I would have gone with the Humminbird Helix
I like my units but the Helix looks far more user friendly.
And I know guys who have jumped from the HDS to the Helix and they all tell me to do it.

Next boat in 4-5 yrs when I retire.

Good luck.

Mac

Huge

« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2016, 06:12 PM »
Thank you all for your input. I was definitely looking at Hummingbird so the Helix 10 would work for me. Now, which Helix 10. lol    Sonar, DI or SI?  Any input on these? Prices range from $900 to $1350

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.